PDA

View Full Version : Obama channels RP in NYT Op Ed

llepard
12-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Today's New York Times. 12/10.

Piece by Roger Cohen on the OpEd page.

Obama cites the Constitution and our ideals.

Also, mentions:

"We cannot remake the world, what we can do is lead by example."

Sound familiar. No doubt he is watching our success.

We can say this is bad, but hey, if he means it means we have already had an impact.

hasan
12-10-2007, 09:37 AM
unfortunately this world is about who can sell his or her ideas better. i very much hope ron paul can sell it better than obama

dshields
12-10-2007, 09:38 AM
llepard,

I agree, if the Ron Paul movement is creating "true" conversion of ideals then we are successful regardless.

Dave

kylejack
12-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Obama specializes in Constitutional law and has been talking about the Constitution all along, so he's hardly ripping off Ron Paul.

Shellshock1918
12-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Obama specializes in Constitutional law and has been talking about the Constitution all along, so he's hardly ripping off Ron Paul.

Where in the Constitution is universal healthcare? Policing the world?

kylejack
12-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Where in the Constitution is universal healthcare? Policing the world?
I didn't say he has the right interpretation, just that he has some basis for discussing the Constitution. As for policing the world, there's nothing inherently unconstitutional about that so long as its done with a declaration of war.

bolidew
12-10-2007, 10:00 AM
This is NOT good because more Independents will go to Dem side for Obama instead of vote for RP in Rep side.

I would rather Hillary jump on polls.

DRV45N05
12-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Please, guys...

How many average independent voters read the NYT?

This is nothing.

SlapItHigh
12-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Obama says that because all Obama is good for is public speaking and sound bites. Yet, if you actually look at Obama's stance on foreign policy he advocates for exactly the opposite. He says everything for everyone. If you only listen to what you want to hear then you can be a pacifist, an isolationist, and a HUGE interventionist and like what you hear.

He consistently advocates for remaking the world and not leading by example at all. His foreign policy is very similar to Bush - except Obama actually wants to meddle in the affairs of other nations even more than Bush does.

Unfortunately people don't look into things when a respected public figure says something so he may actually gain votes with comments like that. Sad that all the person need do is read his own words on his own website to see that he does not mean what he said.

Pete Kay
12-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Plnety of people have used this rhetoric. Ron Paul is not the first. It's not intellectually honest to think that he's the one sole politican to care about the Constitution even if that's what we like to think.

Avalon
12-10-2007, 10:22 AM
As for policing the world, there's nothing inherently unconstitutional about that so long as its done with a declaration of war. Sorry, we can't just interpret words in the Constitution however we want this week; war means war not "police action", "nation building", or "using a show of force to get a foreign nation to do as we want them to."

If you'd like to be able to do those things, try for an amendment, but I won't be supporting it.

Uggamugg
12-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Has he changed or is he pandering?

kotetu
12-10-2007, 11:48 AM
The "bad" part about this is that the only candidate saying these things because they believe them is Ron Paul. The other candidates are saying them in order to win an election.

They will abandon these things if they get elected.