PDA

View Full Version : Converting Republicans: anti-"Big Gov't Conservatism"

leonster
12-10-2007, 08:51 AM
If this is useful to anyone, here's a talking point for Republicans who aren't receptive:

Big government conservatism just isn't popular. It won't win a national election.

Maybe just me... but sitting here brainstorming and this seems huge to me, and I don't see people stressing this (maybe just me, again :P ). Don't bring it up confrontationally, but if you're talking to a Republican who isn't anti-Paul, but is having serious reservations... explain this...

Sample...

"You know... the fact of the matter is simply this--this new big-government conservatism just isn't popular enough to win. Reagan was popular--remember, he got over 60% of the vote, a lot of the DEMOCRATS even voted for him! But now most of the Republican candidates are taking positions that are simply SO unpopular--you have them trying to drum up support for amnesty for the illegals, increasing spending in Washington to record deficits, starting huge new healthcare and prescription drug benefits, and let's face it--whatever our opinions about Iraq are, it's a fact that 70% of the nation is opposed to it, and MANY of those people simply won't vote for someone who takes the same position on that. So basically... we're looking at 4 or even 8 years of Hillary. The surefire way to beat her is to nominate someone who is opposed to amnesty, has a 100% record on balanced budget voting, has NOTHING to do with Hillary-care style stuff, and will pick up a huge chunk of voters from the 70% opposed to the war. Hillary is going to kill anyone else in the general election... please give Ron Paul your consideration if you want to escape that."

Too long, perhaps... but that general idea?