PDA

View Full Version : Four states suing to block Trump's new travel ban

CPUd
03-11-2017, 05:20 AM
Four states suing to block Trump's new travel ban
BY REID WILSON - 03/09/17 02:37 PM EST 2,351

Democratic attorneys general in four states announced Thursday that they will try to block the Trump administration's revised executive order on travel in court, pushing for the temporary restraining order that halted the first order to remain intact.

In early February, U.S. District Judge James Robart issued an order blocking the first version of the ban, which applied visitors from seven Muslim-majority countries and all immigrants. Robart’s ruling was upheld by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, leading the Trump administration to issue the new order on Monday.

Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson (D) said Thursday his office will file a motion asking Robart to reaffirm that the order applies to the new version of the travel ban, which is scheduled to go into effect next Thursday, March 16.

“We’ve won in court, and the president has had to honor those defeats,” Ferguson told reporters at a press conference in Seattle. “It’s my expectation that we will continue to prevail, and certainly my expectation that the president will continue to respect the decision of the court.”

Ferguson said the state will continue to argue that the travel ban amounts to a ban on Muslims. In the initial suit, Ferguson’s office relied on comments from President Trump and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, a Trump backer, who said the president asked him to come up with a legal way to ban Muslims.

The new ban, which some legal experts have said avoids some of the pitfalls that hampered the initial version, now blocks citizens of six Muslim-majority countries: Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. Iraqi citizens, covered by the initial ban, will be allowed to travel to the United States under the new order.

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman (D), Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum (D) and Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey (D) will join Washington in challenging the new ban.

“President Trump’s latest executive order is a Muslim ban by another name, imposing policies and protocols that once again violate the Equal Protection Clause and Establishment Clause of the United States Constitution,” Schneiderman said in a statement.

In a statement Thursday, Healey called the ban “discriminatory and unconstitutional."

Ferguson’s motion is the second major legal action against the Trump administration’s new ban. Hawaii Attorney General Doug Chin filed suit in federal court on Wednesday alleging the travel ban would hurt Hawaii’s tourism industry and its businesses, along with Hawaii educational institutions.

Asked about Hawaii’s lawsuit, White House press secretary Sean Spicer said Thursday the administration remains hopeful that its new ban will survive court scrutiny.

"I think we feel very comfortable that the executive order that was crafted is consistent with — we’re going to go forward on this — but I think by all means, I don’t— we feel very confident with how that was crafted and the input that was given,” Spicer said Thursday.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/323226-four-states-sue-to-stop-trumps-new-travel-ban

timosman
03-12-2017, 12:24 AM
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/4232862-federal-judge-declines-halt-revised-trump-travel-ban

I think he does not really have the right.:cool:

Mar 10, 2017

A U.S. federal court on Friday, March 10, refused to put an emergency halt to Republican President Donald Trump's revised travel ban, saying lawyers from states opposed to the measure needed to file more extensive court papers.

States led by Washington and Minnesota challenged Trump's original executive order, issued in January, which sought to restrict travel from seven Muslim-majority countries and stop refugees from entering the U.S.

Seattle U.S. District Court Judge James Robart issued a temporary restraining order against the first policy last month, and when Trump issued a narrower version of the ban on Monday, listing only six countries, opponents sought to halt its implementation as well. Robart on Friday declined to apply his first order to the new ban.

jmdrake
03-12-2017, 04:35 AM
Why is anyone against the new travel ban? Serious question.

CPUd
03-15-2017, 06:09 PM
Federal judge in Hawaii freezes President Trump’s new travel ban

By Matt Zapotosky, Kalani Takase and Maria Sacchetti March 15 at 7:47 PM

A federal judge in Hawaii on Wednesday issued a sweeping freeze of President Trump’s new executive order temporarily barring the issuance of new visas to citizens of six-Muslim majority countries and suspending the admission of new refugees.

In a blistering, 43-page opinion U.S. District Judge Derrick K. Watson pointed to Trump’s own comments and those of close advisors as evidence that his order was meant to discriminate against Muslims and declared there was a “strong likelihood of success” those suing would prove the directive violated the constitution.

Watson declared that “a reasonable, objective observer—enlightened by the specific historical context, contemporaneous public statements, and specific sequence of events leading to its issuance—would conclude that the Executive Order was issued with a purpose to disfavor a particular religion.”

He lambasted the government in particular for asserting that because the ban did not apply to all Muslims in the world, it could not be construed as discriminating against Muslims.

“The illogic of the Government’s contentions is palpable,” Watson wrote. “The notion that one can demonstrate animus toward any group of people only by targeting all of them at once is fundamentally flawed.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/lawyers-face-off-on-trump-travel-ban-in-md-court-wednesday-morning/2017/03/14/b2d24636-090c-11e7-93dc-00f9bdd74ed1_story.html

timosman
03-15-2017, 07:55 PM
“The illogic of the Government’s contentions is palpable,” Watson wrote. “The notion that one can demonstrate animus toward any group of people only by targeting all of them at once is fundamentally flawed.”

Am I the only one who finds this argument "fundamentally flawed"?

jmdrake
03-15-2017, 08:18 PM
Am I the only one who finds this argument "fundamentally flawed"?

The problem is the language Trump used in the campaign. "I'm going to ban Muslims." Now anything he does that even temporarily restricts immigration on even people from certain Muslim countries will be seen as a "ban on Muslims." Had instead he make the focus on "helping Syrian Christians and other persecuted minorities" his opponents would have a harder time construing this as a Muslim ban. But the teocons liked hearing "ban Muslims." MAGA!

TheCount
03-15-2017, 08:33 PM
Why is anyone against the new travel ban? Serious question.Me, personally, I think Trump is using 'national security' clauses in laws without a sound national security argument to support his actions.

Keith and stuff
03-15-2017, 11:33 PM
Why is anyone against the new travel ban? Serious question.

They might be like McCain and actually support terrorism.