PDA

View Full Version : Charleston News 12-10 on delegates

Hurricane Bruiser
12-10-2007, 07:39 AM
http://www.dailymail.com/News/200712100082

excerpt:

Mitt Romney appears to be the best-positioned of the Republican White House hopefuls heading into the West Virginia GOP's Feb. 5 presidential convention.

The former Massachusetts governor can count on fielding at least 107 delegates at the "Super-Duper Tuesday'' event, which will award a single candidate a majority of the state party's seats at the Republican National Convention.

An analysis by The Associated Press shows that no other contender has as many guaranteed delegates -- those with reserved or uncontested seats -- at the state convention.

"I think the numbers speak well for Gov. Romney's support among West Virginia Republicans, and of the efforts of his grass roots team,'' said Bill Phillips, who is overseeing the front-runner's Mountain State campaign.

Fred Thompson is assured 77 delegates, the second-highest margin, while Ron Paul follows with 54.

WV Freedom Fighter
12-13-2007, 01:58 PM
Since I have never been thru this process before, I am wondering...Now that we are signed up as "at large" delegates how do we go about getting the votes we need to get in?

WV Freedom Fighter
12-15-2007, 03:30 PM
I guess nobody else knows either, I'll just say my prayers and hope the voters do the right thing.

BiPolarBear
12-17-2007, 01:16 AM
Since I have never been thru this process before, I am wondering...Now that we are signed up as "at large" delegates how do we go about getting the votes we need to get in?

From http://www.ronpaul2008.com/states/west-virginia/:

For those who are interested, here's a more detailed explanation of the WVGOP nominating process:

West Virginia will be sending 30 state delegates to the national convention. Of those, 9 will be elected in the May 13th primary: three per district, with each district's winner named separately. 18 state delegates will be elected in a winner-take-all state convention to be held on February 5th. The last three delegate slots are reserved for the state GOP leadership.

County delegates to the state convention can be selected in several different ways: Republican members of the state legislature are automatically delegates, and so are members of the state GOP executive committee. Each county's executive committee can send a delegation of 12 members to the state convention. And then, each county is also allotted a number of "at large" delegates based on population and other factors. The at-large delegates will be elected in county-level voting in early January.

The county-level voting can take two forms. Any registered Republican who enrolls for online voting by November 30th will be able to cast a ballot online for their preferred delegates, any time between January 1st and 14th. Online voting will be valid for all counties. In addition, each county's executive committee can choose, if they wish, to hold a county convention sometime between those dates. The online votes from each county will be added to the county convention totals (if any) to determine the at-large delegates from that county. (Voters who enroll for online voting cannot also vote in their county convention.)

Since there's no difference between an online vote and a county convention vote, we encourage all Ron Paul supporters to enroll now for online voting. However, if you miss the November 30th deadline, you can still vote for the Ron Paul delegates in your local county convention if they hold one. Contact your county GOP executive committeee if you need info on a county convention.

Convention information for individual counties can be found here: http://www.wvgopconvention.com/onlinevoting/

Let me know if you have any questions!

MicroBalrog
12-17-2007, 02:59 AM
I guess nobody else knows either, I'll just say my prayers and hope the voters do the right thing.

Have the Meetups been contacted?

Has the GOTV machine been fired up?

WV Freedom Fighter
12-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Thank you BiPolarBear and MicroBalrog for answering, I appreciate it.

Let me rephrase my question another way....Is there anything we can do as individuals to get the votes we need to make it to the Convention?

Since most of the voting will be "online voting" I suspect there is nothing we can do...since we don't know who is signed up to vote online. (I'm sure alot of voters didn't even know about it)

Reguardless if I get voted in to the Convention or not, I will make the trip to Charleston on Feb 5th, just to show support for Ron Paul, and rally with the other Ron Paul supporters.

LarryWhite
12-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Thank you BiPolarBear and MicroBalrog for answering, I appreciate it.

Let me rephrase my question another way....Is there anything we can do as individuals to get the votes we need to make it to the Convention?

Since most of the voting will be "online voting" I suspect there is nothing we can do...since we don't know who is signed up to vote online. (I'm sure alot of voters didn't even know about it)

Reguardless if I get voted in to the Convention or not, I will make the trip to Charleston on Feb 5th, just to show support for Ron Paul, and rally with the other Ron Paul supporters.

What county are you in? The first thing we need to do is check and see if there's any county executive committee delegate slots open, that gets you in automatically. There aren't any in Kanawha or Cabell or Putnam, but some counties still don't have their full 12.

Other than that, I will have lists of all the delegates signed up in your county, and I can PM you the list if you want to write them a letter or whatever you want to do. We're preparing mailing packets to the uncommitted, so they'll be receiving info on Dr Paul.

Spirit of '76
12-17-2007, 10:44 PM

Larry is right. Contact your county's Republican Executive Committee.

See if they still have EXC slots open, and if they do try to get in one of those. You don't necessarily have to mention Ron Paul, if you think that would help.

Also, while you're talking to them, find out if they will be having a physical polling place or county convention. This is up the county EXC, and some counties are doing it while others are not.

If they are, then you can round up people who missed the November 30 deadline for registering for online voting and make sure they get to the convention or poll to vote for you and other Ron Paul delegates in your county. This also gives some extra time to convince more people to register Republican.

Here in Harrison County, the poll is open at the Clarksburg Senior Center on January 12th from 10am to 2pm.

If they're not having a physical poll or a convention, then you've just got to reach out to the people who will be voting online. That probably means attending your county's Republican Club or EXC meeting. Be polite, friendly, and show them that Ron Paul supporters are regular people too. Make sure they know your name, and at least some of them are likely to give you some votes.

If you need anything or have any more questions, let us know.