PDA

View Full Version : Action Alert: H.R.140 - Birthright Citizenship Act of 2017

CaseyJones
03-01-2017, 10:38 AM
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/140

Birthright Citizenship Act of 2017

This bill amends the Immigration and Nationality Act to consider a person born in the United States "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States for citizenship at birth purposes if the person is born in the United States of parents, one of whom is: (1) a U.S. citizen or national, (2) a lawful permanent resident alien whose residence is in the United States, or (3) an alien performing active service in the U.S. Armed Forces.

This Act shall not be construed to affect the citizenship or nationality status of any person born before the date of its enactment.

TheCount
03-01-2017, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure that this is constitutional. If it is possible to pass a law redefining a common legal term in the constitution, then you could effectively amend the constitution without following the correct process.

For example, could you pass a law redefining the word "religion" in the first amendment to Christianity?

Madison320
03-01-2017, 01:15 PM
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/140

Birthright Citizenship Act of 2017

This bill amends the Immigration and Nationality Act to consider a person born in the United States "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States for citizenship at birth purposes if the person is born in the United States of parents, one of whom is: (1) a U.S. citizen or national, (2) a lawful permanent resident alien whose residence is in the United States, or (3) an alien performing active service in the U.S. Armed Forces.

This Act shall not be construed to affect the citizenship or nationality status of any person born before the date of its enactment.

My wife works with illegals in the school system and she was just talking about that. People come here illegally with the goal of having as many native born babies as possible.

undergroundrr
03-01-2017, 01:32 PM
My wife works with illegals in the school system and she was just talking about that. People come here illegally with the goal of having as many native born babies as possible.

Good for us. They make more money than their parents, are better educated than their parents and end up paying more into the economy than they take.

CaseyJones
03-01-2017, 01:48 PM
I'm not sure that this is constitutional. If it is possible to pass a law redefining a common legal term in the constitution, then you could effectively amend the constitution without following the correct process.

For example, could you pass a law redefining the word "religion" in the first amendment to Christianity?

I question this to
but it was one of Rons points about immigration

TheCount
03-01-2017, 02:15 PM
I question this to
but it was one of Rons points about immigrationI don't have a problem with changing it, it's the method that concerns me.

TheCount
03-01-2017, 02:17 PM
People come here illegally with the goal of having as many native born babies as possible.Our immigration system incentives this behavior with its focus on 'reuniting families.' They themselves have a better chance of staying here if they have citizen family members.