PDA

View Full Version : I Invite a Libertarian to be My Neighbor

centure7
02-27-2017, 10:51 AM
We can call this the free neighborhood project. Near my house is a 7-bedroom 5-bathroom house on *18 ACRES* listed for $109,000 here:
http://www.masiello.com/real-estate/grafton/3%2d7%2d9%2dneils%2dlane/4008029.cfm
It looks like a beauty in great condition. 45 to 55 minutes to a large number of major job centers including Dartmouth College, Dartmouth Hospital, and Concord. 20 minutes to nearest decent grocery store (Hannafords in Bristol)

Move in and lets be neighbors! Grafton NH has the highest per-capita libertarians in the United States (by my guess) because of the Free Grafton Project. Better yet, split this with two other RPF people and you'll have 1/3 of a huge house on 18 acres for less than 40k. Alternatively if you and at least two others are super serious about renting on this forum I could try and buy this just to rent it out. Basically, if you want in I'll do everything I can to get you in because there are a lot of great deals right now around town.

Lets do this! NH has the best economy... if you can put an effort into getting a job, you'll find one. At that 109k price this may be destiny at work!

Jesse James
02-27-2017, 11:25 AM
Why so cheap?

oyarde
02-27-2017, 12:12 PM
Why so cheap?

Pretty cut up . Built 1800 , two bedroom farmhouse with fireplace , has an In Law apt , garage apt and a loft apt . Best I can tell . Be OK for a young single guy , Rent them out until you get it pd for .2015 taxes were about 500 a month , pretty horrible there by my standards , but probably a bargain for 18 acres out East . Where I am , same thing on 5 or 6 acres , 30 yr loan at 4 percent with taxes & ins probably run about 600 a month .

Iowa
02-27-2017, 12:27 PM
Why so cheap?

Mold, water, crumbling foundation, or some other would be my guess. I've seen plenty of old houses like this in shape cosmetically but poor in foundation. Sorry to be a wet blanket, op. Great idea though.

oyarde
02-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Well , looks like it has , new roof , windows and stove.Covered Porch. You could offer less than listing price . My bet is seller takes first reasonable offer.

Brian4Liberty
02-27-2017, 12:41 PM
That's what we call a tear-down....

oyarde
02-27-2017, 12:51 PM
Well ,looks like has well water , septic and you could supplement some heat with wood .Those will save some money off monthly utilities.

angelatc
02-27-2017, 01:40 PM
We can call this the free neighborhood project. Near my house is a 7-bedroom 5-bathroom house on *18 ACRES* listed for $109,000 here:
http://www.masiello.com/real-estate/grafton/3%2d7%2d9%2dneils%2dlane/4008029.cfm
It looks like a beauty in great condition. 45 to 55 minutes to a large number of major job centers including Dartmouth College, Dartmouth Hospital, and Concord. 20 minutes to nearest decent grocery store (Hannafords in Bristol)

Move in and lets be neighbors! Grafton NH has the highest per-capita libertarians in the United States (by my guess) because of the Free Grafton Project. Better yet, split this with two other RPF people and you'll have 1/3 of a huge house on 18 acres for less than 40k. Alternatively if you and at least two others are super serious about renting on this forum I could try and buy this just to rent it out. Basically, if you want in I'll do everything I can to get you in because there are a lot of great deals right now around town.

Lets do this! NH has the best economy... if you can put an effort into getting a job, you'll find one. At that 109k price this may be destiny at work!

If my kid was out of high school, I'd be calling.

fisharmor
02-27-2017, 01:53 PM
First, the single most important thing for places like this is to list the internet situation.
Plenty of people like me out there, who can make a go of it provided there is a rock-solid, high bandwidth connection.
Otherwise, it's a glorified hunting cabin but without the hunting.

Second, yeah 500 a month for taxes shows me that the Free Grafton Project (and the FSP in general) isn't really in high gear yet.
I get that the point is when I get there that's two more adults in the balance and three kids that will be there soon enough.
But at 500 a month they're going to get over $100,000 out of me before all five of us are voting.
Considering that everyone who has dissed the house is probably right, and considering I know all too well what it takes to get a house a mere 50 years old up to specs, that 500 a month is the whole difference between having a really nice house in two years, and having half of a really nice house in 15 years.

What is NH's position on property taxes? How long do they have before they're gone?

fisharmor
02-27-2017, 01:56 PM
Oh, and guys like me also need to know how neighbors would feel about there being audible tool noises at 1 AM.

Carlybee
02-27-2017, 02:50 PM
Prop tax too high and that place looks like a lot to heat. Cool idea though.

oyarde
02-27-2017, 03:46 PM
Prop tax too high and that place looks like a lot to heat. Cool idea though.

Very cool idea . Somebody will like the place .

opal
02-27-2017, 04:09 PM
In Alabama, that property would be closer to $800/yr in property tax.. just sayin

oyarde
02-27-2017, 04:11 PM
First, the single most important thing for places like this is to list the internet situation.
Plenty of people like me out there, who can make a go of it provided there is a rock-solid, high bandwidth connection.
Otherwise, it's a glorified hunting cabin but without the hunting.

Second, yeah 500 a month for taxes shows me that the Free Grafton Project (and the FSP in general) isn't really in high gear yet.
I get that the point is when I get there that's two more adults in the balance and three kids that will be there soon enough.
But at 500 a month they're going to get over $100,000 out of me before all five of us are voting.
Considering that everyone who has dissed the house is probably right, and considering I know all too well what it takes to get a house a mere 50 years old up to specs, that 500 a month is the whole difference between having a really nice house in two years, and having half of a really nice house in 15 years.

What is NH's position on property taxes? How long do they have before they're gone?
If I recall , NH has no sales tax . That does not mean they spend any less money . I have seen other places with no income tax make it up with sales tax ( Tenn. at 10%) seen places with no income tax make it up with property tax . High property tax is the worst of all . As you get old and spend less and have less income you cannot escape the high property tax but you are escaping most of the others .Any place with no sales tax or income tax will never get rid of property tax . Where I am property tax is limited to 1 percent of assessed value for primary residence , they just get the rest through sales and income .Half of all state income tax and all of property tax collected is used to fund the states free public education where I live , so those taxes will never be cut without cuts to education ( which i support ) . In my state the state spends twice as much per kid per yr ( 10k) as the avg private school ( 5k) . By privatizing education they could eliminate the property tax and cut the income tax in half .

oyarde
02-27-2017, 05:38 PM
I am giving this 5 stars since centure7 was sharp enough to advertise for a good neighbor .

osan
02-27-2017, 06:47 PM
Why so cheap?

$6K+/annum property tax.

NFW.

FSP-Rebel
02-27-2017, 08:40 PM
I'm not trying justify property taxes but consider what's left in your present pocket book if after the end of the year you got back all of your and your spouse's state income and sales taxes (which you wouldn't be paying in NH). Add that to your current property tax and then compare it to any NH town's property tax rate and decide whether you'd be ahead or not. I'd advise folks to plan a vacation up in NH and then see for themselves what life is like up there and take a look around.

oyarde
02-27-2017, 08:57 PM
I'm not trying justify property taxes but consider what's left in your present pocket book if after the end of the year you got back all of your and your spouse's state income and sales taxes (which you wouldn't be paying in NH). Add that to your current property tax and then compare it to any NH town's property tax rate and decide whether you'd be ahead or not. I'd advise folks to plan a vacation up in NH and then see for themselves what life is like up there and take a look around.
That is right , everyone would need to do the math for themselves .It would never come close for me .

Suzanimal
02-27-2017, 09:38 PM
Why so cheap?

Taxes and the stripper pole in front of the kitchen sink might have something to do with it. o_O

http://ms3propertyimages.s3.amazonaws.com/NNEREN/29/4008029_02.jpg

The stove looks like it's in time out over there in the corner, lol.

oyarde
02-27-2017, 09:55 PM
Taxes and the stripper pole in front of the kitchen sink might have something to do with it. o_O

The stove looks like it's in time out over there in the corner, lol.
Would have been perfect for me when I was 19 or so .

Suzanimal
02-27-2017, 10:03 PM

Me, too.:D

Anti Federalist
02-27-2017, 10:14 PM

That's a load bearing stripper pole.

Seriously, property taxes vary wildly from town to town in NH.

My home and land is almost three times the assessed value of this home, and I pay half that in taxes.

oyarde
02-27-2017, 10:19 PM

My home and land is almost three times the assessed value of this home, and I pay half that in taxes.

Yep and any place without sales tax or income tax will be just like that , varying wildly from each township . Ea town will decide how much revenue they wish to generate and set rates accordingly .

Suzanimal
02-27-2017, 10:24 PM

For thick girls or guys?

Same here.

The taxes on my house in Atlanta would be ridiculous. My parents taxes were 3x's mine (and that was after the school taxes were taken off) and their house was smaller and on less property.

osan
02-28-2017, 07:52 AM

Almost certainly, which means there is something gravely amiss in the structure. In that case the property is worth perhaps $10K, unless it is good tillable ground, in which case I would give maybe as high as $25K. Not a shekel more.

I just picked up a neighbor's house on 2+ acres for $5K. It's on creek bottom, so prone to flood, but for that money and about $60.00 per year in tax, I can live with that.

The house is in need of structural work and I began removing floors and partitions just before Bibi had surgery. I think about $10K and all my free labor will bring the edifice into good livable trim.

There are plenty of other such houses available here in the wake of the 1000-year flood. People are shy to return. Don't blame them a bit.

So if any of you are looking for very cheap houses and are not afraid to assume the risk of another 1000-year flood in your lifetime, Elkview WV might be the ticket.

You should be able to get a place for the nominal land value, and that should not be more than $2K/acre at the extreme. I got my other neighbor's place for $330/acre last year, bring us back to about 30 in total.

That's still WAY too much for my tastes. I paid $2K on my home in Freehold NJ back when I was yanking down $400K-$500K/annum and even that chapped my ass.

We pay about $300.00 on our 30 +/- acres, which I can live with. Cross into Kanawha county and it would be 10x that, less than a mile away.

Superfluous Man
02-28-2017, 07:57 AM
Wow.

For some reason I thought home prices in NH were high. I've never really looked though.

I'd move there if I could get a job in my field.

oyarde
02-28-2017, 08:41 AM
Wow.

For some reason I thought home prices in NH were high. I've never really looked though.

I'd move there if I could get a job in my field.

I cannot imagine there are jobs there .

Suzanimal
02-28-2017, 08:46 AM
I cannot imagine there are jobs there .

Tax collectors and load bearing strippers.

Carlybee
02-28-2017, 10:18 AM

Dude....splinters. Nuff said.

opal
02-28-2017, 10:20 AM
Good thread start.. so if anyone else has vacant/ for sale properties they'd like to see more libertarian folk settle in - throw em on up here. (especially ones where that white stuff doesn't fall out of the sky half the year)

Anti Federalist
02-28-2017, 10:33 AM
That's still WAY too much for my tastes. I paid $2K on my home in Freehold NJ back when I was yanking down $400K-$500K/annum and even that chapped my ass.

And how much was the good old state of NJ pulling from your income?

I reckon that taxes in Freehold, in the type of home I am imagining you had, are probably $1000 a month now.

Overall, it works for me, and when I retire and the kids are gone, I'll sell it all, buy a camp way the hell up north and be done with it.

oyarde
02-28-2017, 10:43 AM

I reckon that taxes in Freehold, in the type of home I am imagining you had, are probably $1000 a month now.

Overall, it works for me, and when I retire and the kids are gone, I'll sell it all, buy a camp way the hell up north and be done with it.

I can only guess what NJ , NY & MASS taxes are now but my guess is very high . I have a retired buddy in Mass and he lives in a pd for , nice old family home and it takes his entire pension to pay his property tax .

fisharmor
02-28-2017, 10:52 AM
So if any of you are looking for very cheap houses and are not afraid to assume the risk of another 1000-year flood in your lifetime, Elkview WV might be the ticket.

But What about the internet connection there?

I would be much more into the idea of WV, as it's still fairly close to kin.

osan
02-28-2017, 12:44 PM

Just short of zero. In one ten-year period I pulled down about $3MM and paid a grand total of $1500.00. The virtues of having a whoop-ass accountant.

Of course, fucking the taxman meant I could save nothing and am now in the dumper. I just could not reconcile myself to paying taxes to these bastards who subsidize the parasites of all stripe. Steve (accountant) kept me in the middle of legality the whole time, so I could tell Themme to fuck off without fear. I just kept my head down, worked like a mad bastard, billed like crazy, and spent it all just to deny Themme the least bit of my labors. I worked strictly C2C through my engineering consulting corporation.

It all seems an age ago and so far away, as if it never happened and I am just imagining it all. I do sometimes wonder.

I bought the house, situated in Monmouth Battlefield State Park, in '87 for $177K; rather high in those days. It sold recently for $660K, which is simply outrageous. If you look at an image of the art-deco spire of the '39 World's Fair, you are looking at the structural timber from which my house had been erected in the '40s. The previous owner had worked construction and demolition of the site in those days. He was of meager income and so took all the scrap timber and build the house, which is rather stout, but not fancy. The best feature was the 625 ft.^2 kitchen, in which I spent most of my time when home, which was not often.

Hey, if you can manage it, by all means enjoy it while you can.

We are between a rock and a hard place at the moment. Perhaps I will be able to find a way out, perhaps not. I still cannot reconcile the tax thing, though.

Speaking of criminal taxation - back in the late 70s I was acquainted with someone in Jackson Twp. He had a split-level house on about an acre. Nice, but nothing to write home about. Because Jackson had no "ratables", he was stiffed for $34 THOUSAND dollars per year in taxes. I'd have insured it up the wazoo, burned it, collected, dumped 2000 gallons of transformer oil, and walked away just to screw the local gov. for such evil as this. They should be burned with gasoline until they are naught more than ash, these filthy robbers.

osan
02-28-2017, 12:49 PM
But What about the internet connection there?

I would be much more into the idea of WV, as it's still fairly close to kin.

We are fibered up to the drops, AFAIK. Copper to the house.

Hell, the other house even has 3PH access.

Suzanimal
02-28-2017, 12:59 PM
My SIL in Amherst, NY showed me her property tax bill. OUTRAGEOUS! Her home is on barely 1/2 an acre and a basic 3 bedroom 1 bath, 1950's split level - nothing to write home about. If I remember correctly, it was somewhere between 10 and 15 grand a year. In my county, the taxes on that house would be about 600.00 per year.

centure7
02-28-2017, 10:44 PM
$6K+/annum property tax.

NFW.

I'm reasonably sure that is why the property is listed so cheap. If the house sells for $109,000, the tax bill may be possible to cut to $4k if not $3k after the sale. The tax bill is almost definitely based on a house value of over $200k. Normally they do respect requests for a value re-assessment inside of a few months time, and if the actual selling price isn't proper basis for an assessment I don't know what is. I would call the town selectmen before purchasing the house and asking them their opinion on a re-assessment. If I see a selectmen I will ask them for sure... though I don't expect to see one for at least a couple of weeks.

osan
03-01-2017, 04:08 AM
I'm reasonably sure that is why the property is listed so cheap. If the house sells for $109,000, the tax bill may be possible to cut to $4k if not $3k after the sale. The tax bill is almost definitely based on a house value of over $200k. Normally they do respect requests for a value re-assessment inside of a few months time, and if the actual selling price isn't proper basis for an assessment I don't know what is. I would call the town selectmen before purchasing the house and asking them their opinion on a re-assessment. If I see a selectmen I will ask them for sure... though I don't expect to see one for at least a couple of weeks.

But is this not devoid of sense?

If what you say is so, then why have the sellers not done this, not only for themselves, but for the sake of increasing salability?

Were I selling a non-trivial property, I would be doing whatever I could to make it as attractive as possible. If a mere request for reassessment were all I needed to do, it would be done forthwith.

Please do ask. Such things do not happen in dumps like NJ, where such request have actually resulted in INCREASED assessments, and that is no lie.