PDA

View Full Version : Flat Tariff Amendment

sratiug
02-22-2017, 04:48 PM
I believe it is time to promote a flat tariff amendment to the U.S. Constitution to replace all other federal taxes.

I would like help with drafting the amendment in the simplest possible language so that current federal tax revenue is replaced gradually over x number of years. If the phase over period were 5 years, total tax revenue would be divided by 5 for the first year, and a tariff rate calculated based upon current imports that would generate the same revenue.

sratiug
03-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Bump to eliminate IRS.

presence
03-03-2017, 12:11 PM
I stand with those who smuggle past your tariffs.

Cutlerzzz
03-04-2017, 05:16 PM
You could tax all Imports at 100% and still wouldn't cover the revenue the income taxes brings in, and that's while pretending that imports wouldn't collapse.

MallsRGood
03-05-2017, 04:29 AM
I believe it is time to promote a flat tariff amendment to the U.S. Constitution to replace all other federal taxes.

As others have said, that's not possible.

To finance the government exclusively on a tariff, the government would need to be much smaller (which it should be regardless).

Current federal spending is about twice the total value of US imports.

sratiug
03-08-2017, 08:37 PM
I stand with those who smuggle past your tariffs.
Is that easier than evading the payroll tax?

sratiug
03-08-2017, 08:41 PM
You could tax all Imports at 100% and still wouldn't cover the revenue the income taxes brings in, and that's while pretending that imports wouldn't collapse.So make it 200%. The tax is here already, collapsing domestic production.

sratiug
03-08-2017, 08:43 PM

To finance the government exclusively on a tariff, the government would need to be much smaller (which it should be regardless).

The phase over period allows time for our multi-national corporate masters to lobby their politicians to make the government much smaller (which it should be regardless). That's the point.

oyarde
03-08-2017, 09:01 PM
Just for fun , I would pass a large tariff on Chinese made US Flags .

Anti Federalist
03-08-2017, 09:19 PM
Duties and tariffs, yes.

Anti Federalist
03-08-2017, 09:20 PM

Why is it not possible?

MallsRGood
03-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Why is it not possible?

Anti Federalist
03-08-2017, 10:21 PM

Yeah, I saw that.

So, don't spend so much.

MallsRGood
03-08-2017, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I saw that.

So, don't spend so much.

Agreed, but I was just responding to the OP, which doesn't say anything about spending cuts.

Anti Federalist
03-08-2017, 10:31 PM
Agreed, but I was just responding to the OP, which doesn't say anything about spending cuts.

Got it...

sratiug
03-10-2017, 12:42 PM

I would like help with drafting the amendment in the simplest possible language so that current federal tax revenue is replaced gradually over x number of years. If the phase over period were 5 years, total tax revenue would be divided by 5 for the first year, and a tariff rate calculated based upon current imports that would generate the same revenue.
I thought it might be obvious....

sratiug
03-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Any help on drafts? I believe it is obvious this must be done now.

Cutlerzzz
03-21-2017, 09:00 PM
So make it 200%. The tax is here already, collapsing domestic production.

If you raised taxes on imports by 200% you get virtually no revenue because nothing would be bought.