PDA

View Full Version : Doctor convicted of botched surgery gets life sentence

enhanced_deficit
02-21-2017, 11:05 AM
This would probably set a major new precedence for medical mal practice lawsuits in future:

Doctor convicted of botched surgery gets life sentence

Surgeon sentenced life in prison

Tanya Eiserer February 21, 2017

http://www.wkyc.com/img/resize/content.wfaa.com/photo/2014/08/20/0210_surgeon02_3319239_ver1.0.jpg?preset=534-401

DALLAS -- Life in prison.
Those were the words that Christopher Duntsch never wanted to hear. And the words that his patients and their families desperately wanted to hear.
The one-time neurosurgeon was sentenced by the 12-member jury to spend the remainder of his life behind bars Monday afternoon.
“This was a voice for Kellie,” said Don Martin, whose wife bled to death after one of those botched surgeries in 2012.
His daughter, Caitlin Martin-Linduff, was relieved and tearful to know Duntsch will never hurt anyone again.
“I’m just so grateful from the bottom of my heart,” she said. “This will not bring my mother back, but it is some sense of justice for the all the families, for all of the victims.”
Duntsch, 44, is the first surgeon known to be sentenced to prison for a botched surgery. He was convicted of injury to an elderly person in the 2012 surgery on Mary Efurd that put her in a wheelchair.
Duntsch was once an upcoming neurosurgeon. He did not make his mark, just not the one that he expected.
“This defendant single-handedly ruined their lives, and he gave each of them a life of pain,” prosecutor Michelle Shughart told jurors in closing statements.

For weeks, jurors heard the accounts of patients who had been maimed or paralyzed in horrifically bungled surgeries. Kellie Martin and Floella Brown died. They also heard from doctors, nurses and other medical professionals who were shocked by what they saw Duntsch do during and after those surgeries.
“So why didn’t he stop?” Shughart said. “Because of greed. Because he owed people a lot of money. He wanted to live the high life and a neurosurgeon makes big bucks. Why didn’t he stop? Because he had no conscious. He doesn’t care what he has left in his wake.”

http://www.wkyc.com/news/crime/jurors-sentenced-dr-duntsch-in-botch-surgeries/410776454

tod evans
02-21-2017, 11:13 AM
When lawyers are sentenced similarly I'll be impressed...

Hint; More lives are ruined by lawyers than by all the surgeons combined.

brushfire
02-21-2017, 11:22 AM

Hint; More lives are ruined by lawyers than by all the surgeons combined.

...specifically, prosecutors.

enhanced_deficit
02-21-2017, 11:25 AM

To be fair, many of the politicians used to be lawyers including some recent SWCs.