PDA

View Full Version : Forced tolerence

tod evans
02-21-2017, 06:33 AM
People don't get along and some people don't want to live around those who are different from them.

No amount of government intervention is going to change that. Neither is social programming in the schools or in the media.

Bringing in yet more differing cultures and forcing integration under the barrel of a gun isn't likely to work out well either.

Cities used to be divided by culture and by and large neighborhoods were peaceful..........Then came government.

Interracial couple refuses to cover slur on garage door until police investigate

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/21/interracial-couple-refuses-to-cover-slur-on-garage-door-until-police-investigate.html

An interracial couple in Connecticut said they will not remove the racial slur from the garage door of their home, despite being issued a blight citation that carries a $100 daily fine.

Heather Lindsay and her husband Lexene Charles found the n-word spray-painted on their home. The incident occured on the weekend leading up to Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.

Lindsay told the Stamford Advocate on Monday that the slur will not be removed until “authorities do their job” and “not just cover it up and sweep it under the table as they have done in the past.”

Lindsay said their home has been vandalized multiple times and at least three of her neighbors have yelled racial slurs at her husband.

The local and state chapters of the NAACP condemned the incident and denounced city officials over their response.

“For them to be called n----, it must be so hurtful that they can easily just erase the board and suffer within, quietly by themselves, and act like nothing happened,” said Darnell Crosland, legal counsel for the state chapter of the NAACP. “And in fact, that’s what the Stamford police asked them to do. They were requested to take the sign down... and to just act normal, like nothing happened.”

Crosland called on Stamford police to conduct a full investigation.

Authorities said they were investigating the case, but were having a difficult time finding witnesses.

Stamford director of public safety Ted Jankowski said the police department repeatedly offered to remove the slur from the house at no cost, but the couple refused.

“The neighbors were very upset when the incident occurred and truly felt for the couple,” Jankowski said in a statement. “However, the residents who have condemned the racial incident are upset and are complaining about continuing to see the racial slur and how it is disturbing the peace in the quiet neighborhood.”

Lindsay has a foreclosure trial on her house set for March 7. She and her husband have lived in the house since 1999, The Stamford Advocate reported.

Supporters of the couple want authorities to question three specific neighbors who Lindsay claims have discriminated against the couple in the past.

“We want those people investigated,” the family’s attorney Andre Cayo said. “We want those doors knocked on. We want their basements to be searched for spray cans.”

euphemia
02-21-2017, 06:54 AM
People can live where they can afford to live. Private property is exactly that. Private. If someone wants to put up a racial slur, they can stop being cowards and put up a sign in their own yard, or painted on their own house. Vandalizing someone else's house is the worst kind of cowardly.

tod evans
02-21-2017, 07:08 AM
People can live where they can afford to live. Private property is exactly that. Private. If someone wants to put up a racial slur, they can stop being cowards and put up a sign in their own yard, or painted on their own house. Vandalizing someone else's house is the worst kind of cowardly.

And that opinion won't change behaviors will it?

People have grouped with like-minded people since society began......

Up until government intervention those groups traded among each other and pretty much lived peacefully.

Now society is saddled with laws and ordinances that empower people to try and force tolerance and intermingling.........There's centuries of history pointing to that avenue being a failure.

So those who would avail themselves of governments edicts are "heroic" and those who would flaunt them are "cowards"............Okay.

I chose to live out in the boonies to avoid this kind of drama but government is bringing in different cultures by the thousands and regardless of your opinion of heroic or cowardly there's going to be turmoil and it'll only escalate for you city folk....

juleswin
02-21-2017, 09:34 AM
People don't get along and some people don't want to live around those who are different from them.

No amount of government intervention is going to change that. Neither is social programming in the schools or in the media.

Bringing in yet more differing cultures and forcing integration under the barrel of a gun isn't likely to work out well either.

Cities used to be divided by culture and by and large neighborhoods were peaceful..........Then came government.

Really? where is the force in this story? Well if you don't want to live around people who are different from you, then you better have the money to buy up all the property around you and sell to the people you like. If not, there is no guarantee that you wouldn't live with people who are different from you. That is how life works.

Its weird the way you say like the only people one can have a problem with is with people from different cultures. I have watched quite a few 20/20 stories where all white neighbours were having issues with each other to the point where one killed the other one and yes no amount of govt intervention or social engineering would make us all like each other but then again nothing can do that.

Bringing in more people? any evidence that those people were brought in by govt or there was any forced integration from govt with that story?

Cities are still divided, people in general still self segregate themselves but then again an interracial couple would have to either live in the white or coloured part of down. They cannot live in both places at the same time. No matter what you think, cities are still by and large very peaceful. Stories like this is the exception and not the rule with cities.

Lastly, it is actually govt who has had a history of getting in the way of people wanting to integrating, we have govt edicts like Jim Crow laws, marriage licenses etc. Take away govt and there would still be integration with people of different cultures. This is happening in spite of govt not because of it.

tod evans
02-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Really? where is the force in this story?

Lindsay told the Stamford Advocate on Monday that the slur will not be removed until “authorities do their job”

Leave 'em alone and let 'em figure out their own issues without "the authorities"...

I suppose it's rough for people who live where they can look into their neighbors windows from their house.......But that's their choice isn't it?

And if/when people try to surround themselves with like-minded families "the authorities" are brought to bear tensions are bound to escalate..

"the authorities"=men with guns acting on behalf of government, ie; FORCE

juleswin
02-21-2017, 12:22 PM
Leave 'em alone and let 'em figure out their own issues without "the authorities"...

Sometimes a mediator is needed even within close knit families. I see the authorities as a mediator in this case and that is just OK in my book. Also, the authorities are the ones trying to force the couple with fines and threats to remove the graffiti on their garage door and their demand is that the authorities do their job and find the person who painted their house with the slur.

Again, not exactly what I consider to be them using force or the demand being that unreasonable.

I suppose it's rough for people who live where they can look into their neighbors windows from their house.......But that's their choice isn't it?

Rough? I think it is the most normal thing ever. I think its going to take me months of adjustment the day I start living in a community where I cannot see my neighbours windows from my house. Different strokes for different folks

And if/when people try to surround themselves with like-minded families "the authorities" are brought to bear tensions are bound to escalate..

That I would agree with you on, I believe people should be able to discriminate on whom they want to sell their land or rent their property to even when I happen to be on the wrong side of it. But the part where I have a problem with is people minding my damn business and harassing me after I had paid for my property.

"the authorities"=men with guns acting on behalf of government, ie; FORCE

I believe in two things, well more than two things. One is that there is nothing wrong with fighting fire with fire, that is the reason why control burning exists and two, fences make the best neighbours. Now if you can't build a fence and still want to be an ass to your neighbours, then it is A OK in my book to invite the authorities(not what they did) to assist you. I wouldn't be the first to use force but all bets are off once it has been used on me.

tod evans
02-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Yeah we've been over you approval of "the authorities" in the past.

Neither of us are likely to change our opinion either, at least not until you have a run-in or 17 with said " authorities". ;)

I'm good with 12ga mediation rather than kop-n-courts, problem is once my mediation is settled ya'll want to come in with your kops-n-courts anyway...

See I'm cool with ya'll having city rules and laws but ya'll aren't content to let us country folk do the same...