PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT: Military Money-bomb/TeaParty 16th participation

JustAnotherV
12-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Ron has brought up his military contributions in 2 successive debates as a selling point for him standing for our troops more than the others. As most of you that have looked at the stats know, it was be true, but the actual money/number amounts are not that large, and it could be reversed if someone made an effort to have some sort of a drive.

McCain is particularly annoyed by this statistic and you can see it because it pokes a hole in his hawkish stance where his service status normally renders him unassailable. He or the others may have taken a look to see exactly what the numbers are. If they were smart (who knows, but it is possible), they might try to usurp that status.

- The bad news is they may have already done so and we don't know it.
- The good news is that most of the others are in the fundraising stone-age, and no one will know until the quarterly reports what the stats might be. So we have until New Years to ensure that they stay or the wrong end of that statistic.

I have two main ideas that could increase our lead in this area:

1 - Set up a mini-money bomb sometime between the 16th and New Years that promotes our troops and bringing them home while respecting their service.
Advantage: more time, separate marketing.
Disadvantage: won't be that big, could be seen as unsuccessful, might attract more attention to why it was done independently.

2 - Make and effort to specifically include service member in the Tea Party, with a special page and ads/video that show that we as a campaign respect their service but also their life and do not want to see them put at risk with a flawed foreign policy.
Advantage: Boosts TeaParty even more, blends right in for a stealth win
Disadvantage: Only 6 days!

This is a chance to solidify a POSITIVE message regarding our military servicepeople while showing how you can do both that and oppose the Iraq war, AND to solidify our stance as the military-supported frontrunner, standing for service members and their families who honor their duty but respectfully disagree with our nations policies.

And could you imagine if come January instead of saying "I get the most money" Dr. Paul can say "I have received 5 TIMES the money from military personnel as all these other candidates..." Think about it

I think this is important. I will bump this subject myself if there are not replies. I will see what I can do about making a cheesy video myself but I have little skill or time to do it so I am soliciting both suggestions on which of the two people think is a better idea, and which you might want to pitch in on.

Think12345
12-10-2007, 02:01 AM
+1
Maybe we could launch a site where military personnel could endorse the good doctor and maybe donate $5? A long list of endorsements with real names etc might be a good way to show support without actually donating large amounts of money. That they can participate in Tea Party, and this one, too.

MilitaryForRonPaul.com?

Pete Kay
12-10-2007, 02:23 AM
This is an excellent sugestion.

We should call it "A Day for Our Troops".

But we shouldn't just raise money for Ron Paul's campaign, we should also do something great for our troops like a gift drive.

JustAnotherV
12-10-2007, 08:12 AM
<punt>

john_anderson_ii
12-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Veterans/Prior Service/Retirees:

Be sure to include your occupation as retired military or whatever when you donate. I know it's not as important as current service members that donate, but it can't hurt.

DaneKirk
12-10-2007, 08:28 AM
I am a currently deployed active duty supporter of Ron Paul. I just wanted to point out that those of us in the military have to walk a fine line when it comes to politics. I am reminded by corny AFN commercials over here that we can not publicly come out supporting a candidate and at the same time identify ourselves as being in the military. I have probably broken those rules a few times but if an event like this got national attention there could be some problems. The military is very strict when it comes to making sure we stay out of politics as much as possible, it all goes back to the tradition of civilians having control of the military, and not having the military as a rogue branch of government like here in Turkey where the military can throw out a candidate if they are not secular enough.

mortepa
12-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I think that if the military folks just make sure to enter in the correct employer (which I am sure they are doing), we won't have a problem.

Active Military, vets, and DOD staff...Let's all hit it together on the 16th! I love you people and it will be a great onramp to the Christmas season.!

Rex
12-10-2007, 08:51 AM
great idea..

Highstreet
12-10-2007, 09:12 AM
I am a currently deployed active duty supporter of Ron Paul. I just wanted to point out that those of us in the military have to walk a fine line when it comes to politics. I am reminded by corny AFN commercials over here that we can not publicly come out supporting a candidate and at the same time identify ourselves as being in the military. I have probably broken those rules a few times but if an event like this got national attention there could be some problems. The military is very strict when it comes to making sure we stay out of politics as much as possible, it all goes back to the tradition of civilians having control of the military, and not having the military as a rogue branch of government like here in Turkey where the military can throw out a candidate if they are not secular enough.

Dane,

Is there a good way to spread the word about the Teaparty over there?

Email chains or something?

A lot of people have already heard, obviously, but it would be great to see the NUMBER of donations from Military blow the rest of the candidates out of the water, again!

JustAnotherV
12-10-2007, 12:08 PM

This to me says that it would be much better to just ask that people get in on the TeaParty and include their occupation. They may also be able to select that their name not be listed "live" on the website.

Retirees, veterans, civil contractors I assume don't have to worry about this, in which case bombs away ;)

I also should have put in that I would not expect high $ contributions from active duty military personnel or asking for it would be borderline insulting. Basically the point here was just to be inclusive and send a good message so that we can hopefully maintain the lead in this area so suddenly it doesn't turn into a tool for war-hawks talking with vague definitions of "winning."

hillertexas
12-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Here are some leads:
http://www.militaryforpaul.com/
http://www.soldiervoices.net/
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=193227372&MyToken=fa94193f-12bf-4f0f-8500-6e9d5a383f26

hillertexas
12-10-2007, 03:03 PM
bump

tamor
12-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks, hillertexas, for the links. I sent the first one to my nephew who is still on the fence about pulling out of Iraq. He was a Navy Seal over there. injured, and is now back home where he will teach new Navy Seals. He really thinks AlQueda will follow the troops home and we will have to fight them here in our streets.