PDA

View Full Version : FBI releases files on Trump apartments' race discrimination probe in 70's

CPUd
02-15-2017, 10:48 PM
FBI releases files on Trump apartments' race discrimination probe in '70s

The FBI has released nearly 400 pages of records on an investigation the bureau conducted in the 1970s into alleged racial discrimination in the rental of apartments from President Donald Trump's real estate company.

The files detail dozens of interviews the bureau conducted with Trump building tenants, management and employees, seeking indications that minority tenants were steered away from housing complexes.

Most of those interviewed said they were not aware of any discrimination. However, some of the records recount the stories of black rental applicants who said they were told no apartments were available, while whites sent to check on the same apartments were offered leases.

The records, posted on the FBI's Freedom of Information Act website, include a 1974 interview with a former doorman at a Trump building in Brooklyn.

A supervisor "told me that if a black person came to 2650 Ocean Parkway and inquired about an apartment for rent, and he, that is [redacted] was not there at the time, that I should tell him that the rent was twice as much as it really was, in order that he could not afford the apartment," the ex-doorman said.

Many of the accounts of discrimination appear to have originated with the National Urban League, which relayed the information to the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division. Some of those complaints are barely legible, and many of the records are heavily redacted.

In October 1973, the Civil Rights Division filed a lawsuit against Trump Management Company, Donald Trump and his father Fred Trump, alleging that African-Americans and Puerto Ricans were systematically excluded from apartments. The Trumps responded with a $100 million countersuit accusing the government of defamation.

Donald Trump denied any racial discrimination, but said his managers tried to weed out certain kinds of tenants. “What we didn’t do was rent to welfare cases, white or black," Trump wrote in a 1987 book.

The Trumps and their company entered into a consent decree settling the litigation in 1975. The agreement contained no admission of wrongdoing, but required the Trump firm to institute a series of safeguards to make sure apartments were rented without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2017/02/trump-fbi-files-discrimination-case-235067

https://vault.fbi.gov/trump-management-company

specsaregood
02-16-2017, 05:56 AM
Donald Trump denied any racial discrimination, but said his managers tried to weed out certain kinds of tenants. “What we didn’t do was rent to welfare cases, white or black," Trump wrote in a 1987 book.

I have absolutely zero problem with that.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
02-16-2017, 06:00 AM
This reminds me to rent that movie Shaft. Thanks OP.

tod evans
02-16-2017, 06:11 AM
I'm so sick of reading about race!

Fuck all the whiners! With a hot poker...:mad:

https://lastexittoricklesburgh.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/red-hot-poker.jpg

NorthCarolinaLiberty
02-16-2017, 06:18 AM
I love to talk about different races. The 5,000 meter, Daytona, Churchill Downs.....

Valli6
02-16-2017, 02:22 PM
The Trumps and their company entered into a consent decree settling the litigation in 1975. The agreement contained no admission of wrongdoing, but required the Trump firm to institute a series of safeguards to make sure apartments were rented without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.

A lawsuit was initiated, a doorman made an accusation and then Trump countersued. No wrong-doing was proven, but Trump agreed to write up safeguards to ease the minds of those who sued him.

Pretty meaningless.

brushfire
02-16-2017, 02:32 PM
Maybe trump's not so bad after all? This is the equivalent of a body rejecting an organ. In this case, its just the corrupt body known as government.

The alpha-bureaus had plenty of reason to attack cinton, bush, and obama but didn't. Weird.

agitator
02-16-2017, 02:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRWdWpgDHDA