PDA

View Full Version : WaPo (opinion piece): Trump’s two-year presidency

rprprs
02-11-2017, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I know it's WaPo and all, but this one's just too polemic not to open for comment and discussion.
(I hate linking to WaPo, but I just couldn't resist on this one.)

Good news: In two years, we’ll have a new president. Bad news: If we make it that long.

My “good” prediction is based on the Law of the Pendulum. Enough Americans, including most independent voters, will be so ready to shed Donald Trump and his little shop of horrors that the 2018 midterm elections are all but certain to be a landslide — no, make that a mudslide — sweep of the House and Senate. If Republicans took both houses in a groundswell of the people’s rejection of Obamacare, Democrats will take them back in a tsunami of protest.

Once ensconced, it would take a Democratic majority approximately 30 seconds to begin impeachment proceedings selecting from an accumulating pile of lies, overreach and just plain sloppiness. That is, assuming Trump hasn’t already been shown the exit.

More of the article and the author's rationale (and vitriol) can be found here (https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trumps-two-year-presidency/2017/02/10/32c2e4ce-efd9-11e6-9973-c5efb7ccfb0d_story.html?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-d%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.ee9c71535c47).

So what do you think? WAY "out-there" or, to some extent, reality-based?

TheTexan
02-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Its far fetched... Trump is gonna be in the white house for at least 8 years

timosman
02-11-2017, 11:44 AM
Its far fetched... Trump is gonna be in the white house for at least 8 years

The left is clearly making everything possible to make this happen. :cool:

oyarde
02-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I know it's WaPo and all, but this one's just too polemic not to open for comment and discussion.

More of the article and the author's rationale (and vitriol) can be found here (https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trumps-two-year-presidency/2017/02/10/32c2e4ce-efd9-11e6-9973-c5efb7ccfb0d_story.html?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-d%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.ee9c71535c47).

I do not think the Dems will ever take the House back . Fining people for not being able to afford expensive health plans pretty well bagged that.

CPUd
02-11-2017, 11:56 AM
I don't see the House flipping in 2018. Not for lack of trying, but they will have to gerrymander their way back in, and that won't happen until 2020.

Jamesiv1
02-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Brought to you by the same folks that said Hillary was a 98% shoe-in.

Superfluous Man
02-11-2017, 12:16 PM

There's no need to apologize for your source.

If it's critical of Trump, then it's fine to post it here.

Trump is the biggest enemy right now. Not the MSM or any of its outlets.

Superfluous Man
02-11-2017, 12:17 PM
The left is clearly making everything possible to make this happen. :cool:

Trump IS the left.

specsaregood
02-11-2017, 12:21 PM
where is that map of counties won in the election blue vs red? these people are delusional due to the their bubble of forced confined living.

oyarde
02-11-2017, 12:28 PM
The Dems are confined to the communist strongholds they currently retain . There will be no expansion of obviously failed ideas .

undergroundrr
02-11-2017, 12:53 PM
I do not think the Dems will ever take the House back . Fining people for not being able to afford expensive health plans pretty well bagged that.

I would agree that the Obamacare penalty is the single most damaging thing the Democrats have ever done to themselves.

Pretty much all of America who were trying to dig themselves out of financial holes were directly affected. Filling out a tax return and paying extra for that feels like somebody is pissing on you while they laugh their heads off.

However, the trump administration is alienating so many people with such vigor that I won't be shocked if Republicans suffer at the ballot box. This isn't about whiny liberals bashing trump on Facebook. It goes deeper to Americans' sense of decency and good-heartedness in general. If people get the sense they're being taken advantage of by this administration, especially through crony capitalism/corruption, Democrats can make headway if they can recast themselves again as the party of compassion and fairness.

I sure wish some Libertarians would rise to the occasion in 2018. I'm sure there will be a great opening for somebody with charisma and experience. I'd love so much to see 3 or 4 more Amash/Massie types in congress.

CPUd
02-11-2017, 12:53 PM
where is that map of counties won in the election blue vs red? these people are delusional due to the their bubble of forced confined living.

Districts aren't necessarily cut on county lines. The major redistricting won't happen until 2020. The problem for the D's is all these states they want to compete in have GOP legislatures they need to flip first.

https://i.imgur.com/rHM2Ugs.png

timosman
02-11-2017, 01:35 PM
The Dems are confined to the communist strongholds they currently retain . There will be no expansion of obviously failed ideas .

You would be surprised. The influx of people into the urban areas shows no signs of slowing down. Multi story housing is being constructed without any supporting infrastructure. All of this just to show how inefficient a whole bunch of people packed into a tight space can be. Support open office space!

02-11-2017, 02:34 PM
I don't think he even makes it a year.

CPUd
02-11-2017, 02:37 PM
He'll get declared mentally unfit before he gets impeached, and if it happens sooner rather than later, his inner circle will probably be able to hide it long enough for him to say he's not running for a 2nd term.

oyarde
02-11-2017, 02:52 PM
He'll get declared mentally unfit before he gets impeached, and if it happens sooner rather than later, his inner circle will probably be able to hide it long enough for him to say he's not running for a 2nd term.

Then Pence's coming 8 starts sooner than later .

undergroundrr
02-11-2017, 03:07 PM
Then Pence's coming 8 starts sooner than later .

Bingo

timosman
02-11-2017, 03:10 PM
Bingo

I am glad we've covered all options.:cool:

euphemia
02-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Nope. If California pursues CalExit, then we might be at war in two years. That's what happened when the Southern states exited the Union.

Keith and stuff
02-11-2017, 05:40 PM
Even if the House flipped in 2018, I don't see the Senate flipping since most of the people up for reelection are Democrats, many in states Trump won.

silverhandorder
02-11-2017, 06:30 PM
Sick fantasies of liberals.

Rudeman
02-11-2017, 07:06 PM
I doubt either the House or Senate flips. The Senate races are heavily in the Republicans favor. They should be gaining seats, worst case they maintain a majority. It would be a shocker if the Dems took the Senate.

Also Dem support is concentrated in the major cities so I think it'll be tough for them to win the House as well.

LibertyEagle
02-11-2017, 07:20 PM

Yup and it's shocking to see it happening here.

angelatc
02-11-2017, 07:28 PM
Yup and it's shocking to see it happening here.

Right? On Facebook the right and the libertarians are pretty much ok with trump except for the asset forfeiture thing. Here, you'd think Trump was digging mass graves.

CPUd
02-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Right? On Facebook the right and the libertarians are pretty much ok with trump except for the asset forfeiture thing. Here, you'd think Trump was digging mass graves.

Libertarians on facebook are cool with torture, eminent domain and foreign interventions?

NewRightLibertarian
02-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Literally the opposite of all that is true. The author is locked in a death cult living in la la land.

Zippyjuan
02-11-2017, 07:45 PM
I doubt either the House or Senate flips. The Senate races are heavily in the Republicans favor. They should be gaining seats, worst case they maintain a majority. It would be a shocker if the Dems took the Senate.

Also Dem support is concentrated in the major cities so I think it'll be tough for them to win the House as well.

Most of the Senate seats up in 2018 are currently held by Democrats. It will be hard for them to gain much if any ground there. To take back control of the Senate they need to pick up at least three seats- meaning they need to win at least 28 out of 33 contests.

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/files/2017/01/Screen-Shot-2017-01-03-at-11.54.07-AM-1.png&w=1484

Superfluous Man
02-11-2017, 08:47 PM

Those people are neither the right nor libertarians.

AngryCanadian
02-11-2017, 09:04 PM
I don't see the House flipping in 2018. Not for lack of trying, but they will have to gerrymander their way back in, and that won't happen until 2020.

Maybe the left has a chance in 2040?

oyarde
02-11-2017, 09:37 PM

Before that CalExit should be forced killing the left forever .

Origanalist
02-11-2017, 09:41 PM
You would be surprised. The influx of people into the urban areas shows no signs of slowing down. Multi story housing is being constructed without any supporting infrastructure. All of this just to show how inefficient a whole bunch of people packed into a tight space can be. Support open office space!

Social engineering, and the proles are eating it up.

Origanalist
02-11-2017, 09:43 PM

For once we agree, this isn't going to happen.

angelatc
02-11-2017, 09:55 PM
Those people are neither the right nor libertarians.

"Those people!!!'

It's the leftists who aren't the real libertarians.

CPUd
02-11-2017, 09:55 PM

By then, the center will be in control

kpitcher
02-12-2017, 02:58 AM
How long can Trump keep acting so wacky before even his base starts to realize they voted in an authoritarian?

When he doesn't deliver on his keystones his support won't last and I won't be surprised at a pushback by the Rs. Maybe some health issue comes up for him to step down as they wouldn't risk an impeachment of their own.

I'm in a very R area, Dems don't even run on the local ticket. At the local diner even the diehard trump supporters have gotten quiet when the news is on.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
02-12-2017, 03:27 AM
I could see it happening, but it wouldn't be 2 years. He's a little b*tch and even people on his side will tire of him. Either that, or he'll have a heart attack because he's so combative and angry.