PDA

View Full Version : First on CNN: Trump nixes Elliott Abrams for State Department job

Krugminator2
02-10-2017, 11:17 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/06/politics/elliott-abrams-state-department/index.html?sr=twpol020717elliott-abrams-state-department0332AMVODtopLink&linkId=34199880

His appointment has been on hold for weeks as Trump's senior advisers, led by White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, debated whether Abrams, someone from the foreign policy elite, could be trusted.

While Abrams was not part of the "Never Trump" movement and did not sign any of the letters criticizing him in Washington, he is a member of the foreign policy establishment that largely distanced itself from Trump during the campaign. Neocons like Abrams believe the US should use its unrivaled power, with force if necessary, to promote American values around the world.

I am sure it was just a coincidence that Rand made an all out blitz against Abrams pointing out Abrams' criticisms against Trump and his neocon foreign policy, and Trump going against the advice of his son-in-law, Secretary of State, and his chief of staff.

undergroundrr
02-10-2017, 11:23 AM
Great news. Hard to imagine somebody worse, but then, this is trump.

CaptUSA
02-10-2017, 11:23 AM
God bless Rand Paul!

robert68
02-10-2017, 11:39 AM
President Donald Trump met with Abrams and the sources said that the meeting went well but when the President learned that Abrams had criticized him during the campaign, the President nixed Abrams as Deputy Secretary of State, according to the sources.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson tried to convince Trump to offer the job to Abrams despite the criticism because he felt he needed Abrams' experience.

Republican sources also say White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus and Senior Adviser Jared Kushner also strongly supported Abrams, and tried to convince the President to reconsider.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/10/politics/elliott-abrams-trump-state-department-tillerson/index.html

Brian4Liberty
02-10-2017, 12:05 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/10/politics/elliott-abrams-trump-state-department-tillerson/index.html

So, we have now confirmed that Tillerson, Reince and Kushner will be pushing the neocon agenda. Bannon seems to be the only holdout.

undergroundrr
02-10-2017, 12:12 PM
Bannon seems to be the only holdout.

Bannon is SOOO anti-Iran. I don't think he's as far from the Kristol contingent as some might like to believe.

juleswin
02-10-2017, 12:14 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/06/politics/elliott-abrams-state-department/index.html?sr=twpol020717elliott-abrams-state-department0332AMVODtopLink&linkId=34199880

I am sure it was just a coincidence that Rand made an all out blitz against Abrams pointing out Abrams' criticisms against Trump and his neocon foreign policy, and Trump going against the advice of his son-in-law, Secretary of State, and his chief of staff.

Just so you know, the OP article never said the nomination was nixed. I think you posted the wrong link to the thread.

MallsRGood
02-10-2017, 12:17 PM
More importantly, we've confirmed that Trump makes staffing decisions on the basis of emotion.

"O, Abrams? Terrific, big zionist warmonger, CFR guy, what's not to like...Wait, he said mean things about me one time? ...FIRED!!!"

Origanalist
02-10-2017, 12:19 PM
More importantly, we've confirmed that Trump makes staffing decisions on the basis of emotion.

"O, Abrams? Terrific, big zionist warmonger, CFR guy, what's not to like...Wait, he said mean things about me one time? ...FIRED!!!"

This is a uge surprise.

juleswin
02-10-2017, 12:20 PM

Nice catch, I guess its time to search for the other neocon guy who kissed his arse. :)

Rand better start doing opposition research on the new guy, cos if he cant find an instance where he said something bad about our dear leader then he is sh*t out of luck.

Brian4Liberty
02-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Neocons are losing their shit on social media over this.

Brian4Liberty
02-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Nice catch, I guess its time to search for the other neocon guy who kissed his arse. :)

Rand better start doing opposition research on the new guy, cos if he cant find an instance where he said something bad about our dear leader then he is sh*t out of luck.

And the good news is that pretty much every neocon came out vehemently against Trump.

TER
02-10-2017, 12:43 PM
Thank you God.

juleswin
02-10-2017, 12:45 PM
Neocons are losing their $#@! on social media over this.

Losing on social media and winning on actual policy. Also, why is it that Trump keeps nominating these people in the first place? This man ranks just as high as the Bill Kristols in neocon level and yet he got the nod.

I really don't buy the idea that the neocons are losing, every president since Bush II has feigned anti neocon/non interventionist cred and yet all of them were neocons. Now we have someone claiming to be non interventionist/anti neocon and he is nominating neocons in his admin.

Valli6
02-10-2017, 12:48 PM
Just so you know, the OP article never said the nomination was nixed. I think you posted the wrong link to the thread.
Yeah, that link was from a few days ago. robert68 posted the correct one from Feb 10th:

First on CNN: Trump nixes Elliott Abrams for State Department job
Elliott Abrams, who served Presidents Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush, will not get the No. 2 job at the State Department, three Republican sources told CNN.

But Abrams was nixed from the list of contenders after President Donald Trump learned of Abrams' biting criticism last May of his fitness to become president, the Republican sources said.

The President found out about Abrams' outspokenness against Trump after meeting with him on Tuesday to consider him for the position, which would have made him Secretary of State Rex Tillerson's deputy. The meeting went well, but Trump could not get past Abrams' past criticism, the sources said...

Have to question the accuracy of it being due just to the criticism though, since it's from CNN.
"three Republican sources told CNN" - Lindsey Graham, John McCain and Rubio?

Brian4Liberty
02-10-2017, 01:01 PM
Losing on social media and winning on actual policy. Also, why is it that Trump keeps nominating these people in the first place? This man ranks just as high as the Bill Kristols in neocon level and yet he got the nod.

I really don't buy the idea that the neocons are losing, every president since Bush II has feigned anti neocon/non interventionist cred and yet all of them were neocons. Now we have someone claiming to be non interventionist/anti neocon and he is nominating neocons in his admin.

As I have said many times before, Trump is like your average American who has no idea about neoconservatism. Abrams was interviewed, on the advise of others. He did not get a nod. Tulsi Gabbard was also interviewed, on the advise of Bannon. Now she would be a good counter balance to the closet neocons (and MIC cronies) that have infiltrated so far. Probably be a another person in the limelight soon. Rohrabacher has also been interviewed.

MallsRGood
02-10-2017, 01:03 PM
As I have said many times before, Trump is like your average American who has no idea about neoconservatism anything.

Yes

buck000
02-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Trump probably found out that Wolfowitz or John Yoo was available.

specsaregood
02-10-2017, 01:23 PM
So, we have now confirmed that Tillerson, Reince and Kushner will be pushing the neocon agenda. Bannon seems to be the only holdout.

mind you according to unnamed made up sources, aka: bullshit. just saying.

Brian4Liberty
02-10-2017, 02:07 PM
mind you according to unnamed made up sources, aka: bullshit. just saying.

True. Big grain of salt required.

eleganz
02-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Sweet revenge on the neocons after they dumped a million attacking rand right when he announced his bid for presidency.

eleganz
02-10-2017, 07:05 PM

Alex Jones saying Trump is looking for a new chief of staff, he seems to be pretty confident about this and is saying to watch for the announcement.

Would be nice to see Reince go.

CPUd
02-10-2017, 07:20 PM
Alex Jones saying Trump is looking for a new chief of staff, he seems to be pretty confident about this and is saying to watch for the announcement.

Would be nice to see Reince go.

Could be Christie, but probably too soon to change staff.

eleganz
02-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Could be Christie, but probably too soon to change staff.

I thought Christie already got pushed out in disgrace. The guys done with White House business.

CPUd
02-10-2017, 07:58 PM
I thought Christie already got pushed out in disgrace. The guys done with White House business.

It's coming out of the rumor mill that he's telling people he will be part of the new group.