PDA

View Full Version : Baiting Iran

shakey1
02-09-2017, 09:23 AM
Why is the Trump administration threatening Iran?
On February 1, National Security Adviser Michael Flynn announced that the administration was “putting Iran on notice” after it tested a ballistic missile which the US sees as a violation of Iran’s treaty obligations. Flynn’s frigid tone made it clear that the administration is considering the use of military force. But why?
Under current UN resolutions (Resolution 2231), Iran is forbidden “to undertake any activity related to ballistic missiles designed to be capable of delivering nuclear weapons.” Read that over again. Iran is not forbidden from testing ‘all ballistic missiles’ just missiles that are ‘capable of delivering nuclear weapons.’ The resolution could not be clearer. There’s no gray area here, none at all. Flynn is just fudging the resolution’s meaning, so he can rattle a saber. But, why? And why are other members of the administration, including the president himself, making equally belligerent remarks? In a tweet last week, Trump said, “I won’t be as ‘kind’ to Iran as Obama” which was followed by a speech by US Defense Secretary James Mattis who called Iran “the single biggest state sponsor of terrorism in the world.”
What’s going on? Why the full court press against Iran? And how are these threats consistent with Trump’s campaign promise to avoid pointless confrontations abroad? Here’s an excerpt from a speech Trump delivered in Cincinnati on December 1:
“We will pursue a new foreign policy that finally learns from the mistakes of the past…We will stop looking to topple regimes and overthrow governments…. Our goal is stability not chaos …In our dealings with other countries, we will seek shared interests wherever possible and pursue a new era of peace, understanding, and good will.”

more... http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/02/08/trump-plays-cat-and-mouse-with-iran/

Ender
02-09-2017, 10:09 AM
more... http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/02/08/trump-plays-cat-and-mouse-with-iran/

Big Oil and Iran's unwillingness to give their country away.

Lose/Lose

shakey1
02-09-2017, 11:32 AM
Big Oil and Iran's unwillingness to give their country away.

Lose/Lose

yes, but they want Iran to overreact & abandon JCPOA treaty... gives US the excuse to overthrow.

seapilot
02-09-2017, 11:51 AM
Its to get sanctions put back on Iran. Less oil on the world market oil prices goes back up. That helps producers in USA fracking, Canada, and Saudi Arabia.

shakey1
02-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Its to get sanctions put back on Iran. Less oil on the world market oil prices goes back up. That helps producers in USA fracking, Canada, and Saudi Arabia.

agreed... would be foolhardy to think regime change would go well.

Brian4Liberty
02-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Why is Trump contradicting himself? Other than it being a habit, it reflects his shallow, mass media understanding of the world. He watches TV and listens to talk radio for his information. He doesn't understand neoconservatism. He is your average American, excited, outraged and "informed" by the media.

This is particularly dangerous as the neoconservatives, MIC advocates and crony corporatists are all around him now, and they will begin to exert a greater influence than any other sources.

This will result in aggression towards Iran.

nobody's_hero
02-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Why is Trump contradicting himself? Other than it being a habit, it reflects his shallow, mass media understanding of the world. He watches TV and listens to talk radio for his information. He doesn't understand neoconservatism. He is your average American, excited, outraged and "informed" by the media.

This is particularly dangerous as the neoconservatives, MIC advocates and crony corporatists are all around him now, and they will begin to exert a greater influence than any other sources.

This will result in aggression towards Iran.

I'd be curious to know what the CIA says to presidents when they first walk into the oval office.

Ender
02-09-2017, 03:33 PM
yes, but they want Iran to overreact & abandon JCPOA treaty... gives US the excuse to overthrow.

I doubt they will- Iran is a bit smarter than most US politicians. ;)

jllundqu
02-09-2017, 03:42 PM
I'd be curious to know what the CIA says to presidents when they first walk into the oval office.

It's the Bill Hicks Slideshow....

I have this feeling man, 'cause you know, it's just a handful of people who run everything, you know … that's true, it's provable. It's not … I'm not a fucking conspiracy nut, it's provable. A handful, a very small elite, run and own these corporations, which include the mainstream media. I have this feeling that whoever is elected president, like Clinton was, no matter what you promise on the campaign trail – blah, blah, blah – when you win, you go into this smoke-filled room with the twelve industrialist capitalist scum-fucks who got you in there. And you're in this smoky room, and this little film screen comes down … and a big guy with a cigar goes, "Roll the film." And it's a shot of the Kennedy assassination from an angle you've never seen before … that looks suspiciously like it's from the grassy knoll. And then the screen goes up and the lights come up, and they go to the new president, "Any questions?" "Er, just what my agenda is." "First we bomb Baghdad." "You got it …"

shakey1
02-09-2017, 03:48 PM
It's the Bill Hicks Slideshow....

It happens to all of them...

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv78/perryscave/politics/age-in-office-bush.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8MXFzmg.png