PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Judge is Wrong and Overreached With Nationwide Injunction on Travel Ban

Brian4Liberty
02-04-2017, 03:49 PM
Seattle Judge is Wrong and Overreached With Nationwide Injunction on Travel Ban (http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/seattle-judge-is-wrong-and-overreached-by-issuing-nationwide-injunction-on-travel-ban/)
by Robert Barnes - February 4th, 2017

Two different courts, on opposite coasts, ruled in opposite directions on Friday. A Boston federal court affirmed Trump’s executive order as “bona fide”; a Seattle federal court enjoined it. Both spoke to requests for “nationally” effective rulings. Can federal courts give conflicting directions to government employees?
The Seattle decision overstepped the traditional boundaries of district court authority, especially when sister courts are ruling on the same issues. Both the Supreme Court and the Ninth Circuit warned against issuing a national order in just these kind of cases.

Unlike state courts, federal courts enjoy the possibility of national reach in their decision. Due to the risk of conflicting decisions within the courts, venue-shopping by litigants (note how the ACLU, CAIR and the Attorney Generals aren’t suing in any Trump states), and the interference with the executive branch of government in their daily duties, the Supreme Court established precedents — precedents being what constitutes “evidence” for lawyers about what the law says — to limit this problem from occurring.

First, the Supreme Court warned against issuing any relief not individually and specifically necessary to the plaintiffs before the court. Califano v. Yamasaki, 442 U.S. 682, 702 (1979). The Seattle judge’s ruling goes way beyond that, trying to apply his order to people all around the world. It appears the Seattle judge thinks the people voted him President of the United States. Welcome to the ego of federal judges.

Second, the Supreme Court warned against issuing any such relief against the executive branch, especially in military, immigration, or foreign policy concerns, given how precarious such orders can threaten security, and interfere with day-to-day functions of the executive branch.
Third, as the Ninth Circuit, that governs the Seattle court, repeatedly ruled: a federal court should not issue rulings beyond its jurisdiction when other courts have also issued rulings on the matter. AMC Entm’t 549 F.3d at 770. The “principles of comity” compel that a court should not grant national relief when doing so would “create tensions” with courts in other circuits and “would encourage forum shopping.”
The Supreme Court already reversed an order just like the Seattle order. In 1993, a few folks challenged the don’t ask, don’t tell restrictions on gays in the military. Shock, shock, they filed the suit on the west coast. Shock, shock, a liberal judge tried to convert it into a national injunction. Guess what happened? The Supreme Court reversed, issuing a stay of all parts of the injunction that “granted relied to persons other than the named plaintiff.” Dep’t of Defense v. Meinhold, 510 U.S. 939 (1993). Notably, that decision to stay the injunction was 9-to-0, unanimous. That is how obvious the precedents — the evidence of the law — is in this instance.
More: http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/seattle-judge-is-wrong-and-overreached-by-issuing-nationwide-injunction-on-travel-ban/

seapilot
02-04-2017, 10:13 PM
Interesting that one judge rules opposite the other in this case. Talk about major conflict and confusion. The Seattle Judge knows that his stay is now legal until appealed which is a small win.

By the time the EO is reinstated there will be team blue protesting and activism on something else (my guess is funding pulled from Sanctuary cities and wall construction) and people will forget about this even happened.

TommyJeff
02-04-2017, 10:25 PM
I wonder how many people know the judiciary isn't and never was intended to be the final say on constitutionality

angelatc
02-04-2017, 10:43 PM
I wonder how many people know the judiciary isn't and never was intended to be the final say on constitutionality

The executive branch isn't either though.

Ender
02-05-2017, 12:23 AM

'Zackly.

Mach
02-05-2017, 12:37 AM
Judge Robart is a Black Lives Matter Judge and used to represent Southeast Asian Immigrants for free, he obviously brings his personal life to the bench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e0AJ6patFo

'Zackly.

You do know what a zackly is, don't you?

That's like, where your breath smells zackly, like your butt...... ex: damn, dude, you got the zacklies...... :eek:

Ender
02-05-2017, 10:47 AM
Judge Robart is a Black Lives Matter Judge and used to represent Southeast Asian Immigrants for free, he obviously brings his personal life to the bench.

You do know what a zackly is, don't you?

That's like, where your breath smells zackly, like your butt...... ex: damn, dude, you got the zacklies...... :eek:

My "zackly" means that presidents- or anyone else- do not pull unconstitutional laws out of their butts to smooth their massive egos.

The original purpose of the 3 branches of government was for checks & balances. Maybe we outta go back to that, eh?

klamath
02-05-2017, 10:57 AM
My "zackly" means that presidents- or anyone else- do not pull unconstitutional laws out of their butts to smooth their massive egos.

The original purpose of the 3 branches of government was for checks & balances. Maybe we outta go back to that, eh?

Zackly.

I remember having some long drawn out disagreements with you but one thing I learned in combat, was who were really there when the shrapnel starts flying. When the war against the constitution grows hot many of the big talkers have vanished into the dark.

Ender
02-05-2017, 11:02 AM
Zackly.

I remember having some long drawn out disagreements with you but one thing I learned in combat, was who were really there when the shrapnel starts flying. When the war against the constitution grows hot many of the big talkers have vanished into the dark.

Zackly. ;)

And disagreement is fine- I respect that and have learned that I can grow in wisdom by looking & pondering others POV. It's the name-calling & insults, with absolutely NO backup argument that really piss me off.

Schifference
02-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Despicable that 41% blacks killed when only represent 20% of population. BLM! What if black people committed 100% of the crime? Do we need to start shooting more white people racial equality?

PatriotOne
02-05-2017, 01:35 PM
Lot's of judges are targeted to get entrapped into the pedophile honey pot to be used when needed. This Seattle judge no doubt was compromised. His immigration order injunction a great example of why blackmailed judges comes in quite handy.

The judge who halted Trump's seven nation travel ban was the president of Seattle Children's Home - a now shut down children's charity which was run in part by Dr David Scratchley who was arrested for raping a 10 year old boy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/5s8oym/the_judge_who_halted_trumps_seven_nation_travel/

Brian4Liberty
02-05-2017, 01:49 PM

Well, that's the definition of a bleeding heart activist Judge. Thought he was going to cry there.

PatriotOne
02-05-2017, 01:56 PM
Lot's of judges are targeted to get entrapped into the pedophile honey pot to be used when needed. This Seattle judge no doubt was compromised. His immigration order injunction a great example of why blackmailed judges comes in quite handy.

The judge who halted Trump's seven nation travel ban was the president of Seattle Children's Home - a now shut down children's charity which was run in part by Dr David Scratchley who was arrested for raping a 10 year old boy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/5s8oym/the_judge_who_halted_trumps_seven_nation_travel/

Scratchley was a director at Seattle Children's Home in the Queen Anne neighbourhood prior to working at the Talbot Center. He waived his right to appear at a hearing on Saturday after King County District Court Judge Arthur Chapman found probable cause to hold him on investigation of attempted rape of a child in the first degree and communicating with a minor for immoral purposes.

David Cousineau was a prominent community leader and children's advocate for more than a decade. But the past and future of the ex-director of Seattle Children's Home are in question over an allegation that, while a priest in Southern California more than a decade ago, he repeatedly molested an altar boy at his Los Angeles church. Cousineau is named in a list of alleged pedophile priests released last month by Los Angeles Cardinal Roger Mahony, to whom Cousineau once was a friend and confidant.

surf
02-05-2017, 01:59 PM
I get where everybody is coming from here, but i'm still a believer in free movement of people. i'd go so far as to call it a "human right." the concept of "retaliation" in the form of increased travel restrictions and costs makes me very uncomfortable.

impugning this judge's character adds little here.
The judge served in the past as the president of the Seattle Children's Home and was a former trustee of the Children's Home Society of Washington, according to his official biography on the federal court website. Those organizations provide mental health services for at-risk youth and help troubled families.

CaptainAmerica
02-05-2017, 02:04 PM

the definition of "national" is now going to have to be defined, along with "federal" , and "citizen" . This is all very bad stuff if its interpreted by a non-textualist.

seapilot
02-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Trump acts on politics and activist judges doing the same. I do not care who is right or wrong but what does the law actually say? It seems like one part of the law supports the EO and the other does not. Trump's governing experience is highlighted by this.

As president he probably tells the staff what he is trying to achieve and its the legal staff responsibility to make it comply withing the existing laws. The legal staff want to screw Trump over they easily could by purposely creating an EO that he signs (without his knowing its unconstitutional).

klamath
02-05-2017, 05:47 PM
Trump acts on politics and activist judges doing the same. I do not care who is right or wrong but what does the law actually say? It seems like one part of the law supports the EO and the other does not. Trump's governing experience is highlighted by this.

As president he probably tells the staff what he is trying to achieve and its the legal staff responsibility to make it comply withing the existing laws. The legal staff want to screw Trump over they easily could by purposely creating an EO that he signs (without his knowing its unconstitutional).
Trump asked Giuliani how he could "ban Muslims" legally (those are Giuliani's words). Giuliani basically wrote it. I read it and it is flawed. It is going to require an extreme expansion of Presidential "power to protect", over the first amendment for a court to declare it legal. Can't say they won't do it, but that will be the result. Just what we don't need is more non-declared war powers for the president.

Mach
02-05-2017, 10:34 PM
Well, that's the definition of a bleeding heart activist Judge. Thought he was going to cry there.

He was..... "pullin' a Schumer."

Brian4Liberty
02-05-2017, 10:42 PM
Trump asked Giuliani how he could "ban Muslims" legally (those are Giuliani's words). Giuliani basically wrote it. I read it and it is flawed. It is going to require an extreme expansion of Presidential "power to protect", over the first amendment for a court to declare it legal. Can't say they won't do it, but that will be the result. Just what we don't need is more non-declared war powers for the president.

Well, Giuliani is pretty incompetent then, as this did not ban Muslims or terrorists.

Terrorists are Salafists, so Saudi Arabia and Egypt should be on the list.

Schifference
02-06-2017, 05:54 AM
Simply write and sign another EO that can't be rescinded. It will be the best EO ever, written by wonderful people.

TommyJeff
02-06-2017, 08:04 PM

Thats for sure but don't you think the average person thinks the judiciary is the final say on constitutional issues?
that was my point