PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Imperial Presidency

Zippyjuan
02-03-2017, 12:29 PM
Sounding familiar? http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/443799/obamas-imperial-presidency

More than any recent president, Obama has embraced and, to some extent, legitimized the anti-constitutional theory that congressional inaction is a legitimate source of presidential power. It’s a theory future presidents will build upon. In the words of the University of North Carolina legal scholar William P. Marshall, “The genies of unilateral executive action are not easily returned to the bottle.”

Trump was critical of Obama using executive orders- and now is set to "out- executive order" his record.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/02/01/executive-orders-president-trump-obama-editorials-debates/97347492/

Remember when Republicans were dead set against sweeping executive actions? Remember when they called Barack Obama an imperial president, and worse, for issuing a string of executive orders, presidential memoranda and national security directives?

That was so yesterday.

In his first 10 days in office, President Trump issued 20 executive actions, more than any incoming president in the modern era. And for the most part, Republicans have adopted a position of silence or support, conveniently forgetting their past practice of denouncing executive decrees as a threat to constitutional governance.

Obama, for his part, issued 18 president actions (executive orders, memoranda, national security directives and proclamations) during his first 10 days in office. Obama's actions included measures on government ethics, waterboarding and a move to close the prison camp at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba (an action he was never able to complete during his eight years in office).

As Ron Paul warned:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/mar/18/ron-paul-i-couldnt-support-donald-trump-nominee/

Ron Paul: I couldn’t support Donald Trump as nominee

Former Texas Rep. Ron Paul said Friday he couldn’t support GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump if Mr. Trump wins the party’s nomination, saying Mr. Trump’s views on the scope of executive authority could surpass those of President Obama.

“No, I couldn’t do that,” Mr. Paul said on Fox Business Network when asked if he would support Mr. Trump, should the billionaire businessman win the GOP nomination. “He’s [the] opposite of a libertarian.”

Mr. Paul, a three-time presidential candidate, said on foreign policy, Mr. Trump probably wouldn’t be that much different than former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, the Democratic front-runner.

“I think the die-hard neoconservatives would not be that extremely unhappy with Hillary,” Mr. Paul said.

“Trump is going to be the most efficient [at] using the executive orders,” he said. “He’ll say this is the way it is, you know. Obama was pretty arrogant.

If you don’t do it, [the] Congress, I’ll write an order. Well, I think Trump [will] be 10 times worse on writing orders because he’s used to doing this, and he brags about it.”

“He wants to be the boss. I’m not looking for a boss. We want somebody that will allow us to be our own boss, is what I think we should be looking for,” Mr. Paul said.

timosman
02-03-2017, 12:33 PM
Why nobody listened to this Ron Paul guy?:confused:

jllundqu
02-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Trump doesn't give a shit about constitutional restraint, and his supporters (including those here on the forum) don't WANT him to give a shit.... they want him to WIN, PERIOD. In their eyes the ends justify the means, and if Trump assumes massive executive authority outside of constitutional bounds, they won't call him on...

undergroundrr
02-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Trump doesn't give a $#@! about constitutional restraint, and his supporters (including those here on the forum) don't WANT him to give a $#@!.... they want him to WIN, PERIOD. In their eyes the ends justify the means, and if Trump assumes massive executive authority outside of constitutional bounds, they won't call him on...

But they'll be all up in arms when Elizabeth Warren starts writing executive orders her first day in the oval office in 2020.

euphemia
02-03-2017, 01:00 PM
I understand the consternation. Unfortunately, Washington has lulled us all into some sort of complacency that things move slowly in Washington, or as the Clintons did, created a crisis when there was no crisis, then rushed in to rescue us from certwin disaster.

Trump is not that way, but it seems none of us can break out of the old way of thinking. Trump gets up and priritizes what must be done today, and then sets wbout getting those things done. If Congress wants to retain its constitutional place in legislating, then they better wake up and get on the priorities of whwt must be done today. However, they have stated they will be dragging their feet and stonewalling and will lose their relevance.

And in that regard, those of us who respect the Constitution need to wake up and get our representwtives on board. Just because the agenda is a little more favorable to us doesn't mean we should not expect the process to be constitutional.

CaptUSA
02-03-2017, 01:45 PM
I understand the consternation. Unfortunately, Washington has lulled us all into some sort of complacency that things move slowly in Washington, or as the Clintons did, created a crisis when there was no crisis, then rushed in to rescue us from certwin disaster.

Trump is not thwt way, but it seems none of us can break out of the old way of thinking. Trump gets up and priritizes what must be done today, and then sets wbout getting those things done. If Congress wants to retain its constitutional place in legislating, then they better wake up and get on the priorities of whwt must be done today. However, they have stated they will be dragging their feet and stonewalling and will lose their relevance.

And in thwt regard, those of us who respect the Constitution need to wake up and get our representwtives on board. Just because the agenda is a little more favorable to us doesn't mean we should not expect the process to be constitutional.

Um... The slower government works, the better.

euphemia
02-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Not in undoing its wrongs.

enhanced_deficit
02-03-2017, 03:49 PM
DGP puppetbag's legacy and Constitution probably should not be used in same sentence.
His legacy is things like ISIS, assassinations of US citizen children without due process of law, dronegangstaism etc and midlevel PR officer for neocons who liked to bow before brutal dictators.

Zippyjuan
02-03-2017, 03:58 PM
You make him sound like Trump.