PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Subpoenaed for Customer Purchasing Records

hawkeyenick
12-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Nazi Germany, here we come!

http://www.guerrillanews.com/headlines/16126/U_S_Government_Subpoenaed_Amazon_com_to_Obtain_Boo k_Purchasing_Records

Knightskye
12-10-2007, 02:57 AM
Kind of strange that this happens after Ron's book (A Foreign Policy of Freedom) shoots up in sales. "Look what these people are reading!"

We've always been at war with East Asia...

Corydoras
12-10-2007, 06:01 AM
Of course we, being informed Ron Paul voters, knew already that the Patriot Act allows this, right?

For privacy (not that this would stop major law enforcement), never buy from large online booksellers (Barnes and Noble, Amazon, etc). If you must buy online, buy from companies that principally handle something other than books. For example, some small seed and plant companies carry homesteading books; I would prefer to buy any of Ron's writings available from his congressional website than from Amazon; and if I wanted an unusual religious book, I would rather get it from a religious-supplies store online than an online bookseller.

Then the level of privacy you choose goes up from there (again, I don't think this would stop big law enforcement), and I have never felt the need to do all of these things. You can buy books from the smallest shops you can, preferably locally owned, preferably in person rather than by mail, preferably not the closest town to you, and if possible always by cash or private money order (the kind you can buy at a convenience shop in cash) and not with a credit/debit card or check.

Me, if I buy a book in person, I always buy with cash instead of a card, even if I'm special-ordering something from a chain bookshop like Borders. I see no reason why my card company should be able to find out what I read.

rodent
12-10-2007, 07:12 AM
Nazi Germany, here we come!

http://www.guerrillanews.com/headlines/16126/U_S_Government_Subpoenaed_Amazon_com_to_Obtain_Boo k_Purchasing_Records

Troubling.