PDA

View Full Version : TRUMP THREATENS TO SEND TROOPS INTO MEX

CaseyJones
02-01-2017, 06:45 PM
from Drudge

https://apnews.com/0b3f5db59b2e4aa78cdbbf008f27fb49

President Donald Trump threatened in a phone call with his Mexican counterpart to send U.S. troops to stop "bad hombres down there" unless the Mexican military does more to control them, according to an excerpt of a transcript of the conversation obtained by The Associated Press.

The excerpt of the call did not detail who exactly Trump considered "bad hombres," nor did it make clear the tone and context of the remark, made in a Friday morning phone call between the leaders. It also did not contain Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto's response.

Still, the excerpt offers a rare and striking look at how the new president is conducting diplomacy behind closed doors. Trump's remarks suggest he is using the same tough and blunt talk with world leaders that he used to rally crowds on the campaign trail.

A White House spokesman did not respond to requests for comment. The Mexican government said the account was not accurate.

The phone call between the leaders was intended to patch things up between the new president and his ally. The two have had a series of public spats over Trump's determination to have Mexico pay for the planned border wall, something Mexico steadfastly refuses to agree to.

"You have a bunch of bad hombres down there," Trump told Pena Nieto, according to the excerpt given to AP. "You aren't doing enough to stop them. I think your military is scared. Our military isn't, so I just might send them down to take care of it."

A person with access to the official transcript of the phone call provided only that portion of the conversation to The Associated Press. The person gave it on condition of anonymity because the administration did not make the details of the call public.

The Mexican website, Aristegui Noticias, on Tuesday published a similar account of phone call, based on the reporting of journalist Dolia Estevez. The report described Trump as humiliating Pena Nieto in a confrontational conversation.

Mexico's foreign relations department denied that account, saying it "is based on absolute falsehoods," and later said the statement also applied to the excerpt provided to AP.

"The assertions that you make about said conversation do not correspond to the reality of it," the statement said. "The tone was constructive and it was agreed by the presidents to continue working and that the teams will continue to meet frequently to construct an agreement that is positive for Mexico and for the United States."

Trump has used the phrase "bad hombres" before. In an October presidential debate, he vowed to get rid the U.S. of "drug lords" and "bad people."

"We have some bad hombres here, and we're going to get them out," he said. The phrase ricocheted on social media with Trump opponents saying he was denigrating immigrants.

Trump's comment was in line with the new administration's bullish stance on foreign policy matters in general, and the president's willingness to break long-standing norms around the globe.

Before his inauguration, Trump spoke to the president of Taiwan, breaking long-standing U.S. policy and irritating China. His temporary ban on refugees and travelers from seven Muslim-majority countries, aimed at reviewing screening procedures to lessen the threat of extremist attacks, has caused consternation around the world.

But nothing has created the level of bickering as the border wall, a centerpiece of his campaign. Mexico has consistently said it would not pay for the wall and opposes it. Before the phone call, Pena Nieto canceled a planned visit to the United States.

The fresh fight with Mexico last week arose over trade as the White House proposed a 20 percent tax on imports from the key U.S. ally to finance the wall after Pena Nieto abruptly scrapped his Jan. 31 trip to Washington.

The U.S. and Mexico conduct some $1.6 billion a day in cross-border trade, and cooperate on everything from migration to anti-drug enforcement to major environmental issues.

Trump tasked his son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner — a real estate executive with no foreign policy experience — with managing the ongoing dispute, according to an administration official with knowledge of the call.

At a press conference with British Prime Minister Theresa May last week, Trump described his call with Pena Nieto as "friendly."

In a statement, the White House said the two leaders acknowledged their "clear and very public differences" and agreed to work through the immigration disagreement as part of broader discussions on the relationship between their countries.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
02-01-2017, 07:20 PM
Remember the Alamo, hot sauce!!!!

goldenequity
02-01-2017, 07:22 PM
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr55/goldenequity/crosseyes.gif

Trump told Mexican President: "You aren't doing enough to stop your cartels.
I think your military is scared. Our military isn't, so I just might send them down to take care of it."

02-01-2017, 07:28 PM
Shows how little Trump understands world affairs. In Mexico, the military are the cartels.

Ender
02-01-2017, 07:32 PM
Shows how little Trump understands world affairs. In Mexico, the military are the cartels.

And are supported by the WoDs.

specsaregood
02-01-2017, 07:34 PM
anonymous sources, excerpted quotes, denials on both sides. sounds like more fake news. at this point we should just reject anything that isn't sourced as its just codeword for: "I just made this shit up." for reference, go watch the last season of "the wire" again.

Jamesiv1
02-01-2017, 07:50 PM
They continue to do the same things that put him in the Whitehouse.

puzzling.

devil21
02-01-2017, 08:23 PM
This better be fake news.

Origanalist
02-01-2017, 08:44 PM
anonymous sources, excerpted quotes, denials on both sides. sounds like more fake news. at this point we should just reject anything that isn't sourced as its just codeword for: "I just made this shit up." for reference, go watch the last season of "the wire" again.

Sounds like total bullshit to me.

TheTexan
02-01-2017, 08:44 PM
I've been saying for a while, Mexico has some nice real estate down there, that is, with current occupants removed

RJB
02-01-2017, 08:54 PM
I've been saying for a while, Mexico has some nice real estate down there, that is, with current occupants removed

It could be like a house swap vacation. The Mexicans can live up here and do our work for us and we can vacation down there in their vacant houses. It's an acceptable arrangement. The world knows and understands that we are a consumer nation.

CaseyJones
02-01-2017, 08:54 PM

oyarde
02-01-2017, 09:19 PM

Back in the 90's the Los Zetas cartel started extensive recruiting of Mexican Special Forces whose enlistments were up, I also think that it would now be prevalent in the Gulf cartel .

specsaregood
02-01-2017, 09:31 PM
Sounds like total bullshit to me.

It sounds like the administration was spot-on when they called the media, "the opposition party".

William Tell
02-01-2017, 09:38 PM
WTH

newbitech
02-01-2017, 10:35 PM
Editor’s note: This article has been updated and a reference to an AP report on the details of a phone conversation between President Trump and Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto removed because it could not be independently confirmed.

02-02-2017, 06:09 AM
Back in the 90's the Los Zetas cartel started extensive recruiting of Mexican Special Forces whose enlistments were up, I also think that it would now be prevalent in the Gulf cartel .

They are one and the same. Everything is corrupt there. The military isn't going to bust it self for drug running now, are they?

Brian4Liberty
02-02-2017, 10:37 AM

#FakeNews.

CaseyJones
02-02-2017, 10:51 AM
White House: Trump comments on Mexico 'lighthearted'

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TRUMP_MEXICO?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-02-02-09-24-57

President Donald Trump warned in a phone call with his Mexican counterpart that he was ready to send U.S. troops to stop "bad hombres down there" unless the Mexican military does more to control them - comments the White House described as "lighthearted."

The White House said Thursday that the remarks, in an excerpt obtained by The Associated Press from a transcript of the hourlong conversation, were "part of a discussion about how the United States and Mexico could work collaboratively to combat drug cartels and other criminal elements, and make the border more secure."

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the details publicly, described the conversation as "pleasant and constructive."

"You have a bunch of bad hombres down there," Trump told Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto, according to the excerpt given to the AP. "You aren't doing enough to stop them. I think your military is scared. Our military isn't, so I just might send them down to take care of it."

The comments came last Friday in a phone call between Trump and Pena Nieto. The excerpt from the transcript did not detail exactly whom Trump considers "bad hombres," nor did it make clear the tone and context of the remark.

The Mexican government said "the negative statements" reported in the AP story "did not occur during" the call.

The remark offers a rare and striking look at how the new president is conducting diplomacy behind closed doors. Trump's remarks suggest he is using the same bravado with world leaders that he used to rally crowds on the campaign trail.

At the National Prayer Breakfast on Thursday, Trump told the large crowd that his calls with world leaders "have to be tough." ''When you hear about the tough phone calls I'm having, don't worry about it, just don't worry about it," he said. "They're tough."

The president added that the world is "in trouble" and the U.S. is being taken advantage of by other countries. "We're going to straighten it out," he said. "That's what I do. I fix things."

Eduardo Sanchez, spokesman for Mexico's presidential office, said the conversation was respectful, not hostile or humiliating. "It is absolutely false that the president of the United States threatened to send troops to Mexico," Sanchez said in an interview with Radio Formula on Wednesday night.

The Mexican Foreign Relations Department had earlier told The AP: "The negative statements you refer to did not occur during said telephone call. On the contrary, the tone was constructive."

The phone call between the leaders was intended to patch things up between the new president and his ally. The two have had a series of public spats over Trump's determination to have Mexico pay for the planned border wall, something Mexico steadfastly refuses to agree to.

A person with access to the official transcript of the phone call provided only that portion of the conversation to the AP. The person was not authorized to provide the excerpt publicly and gave it on condition of anonymity.

The Mexican website Aristegui Noticias on Tuesday published a similar account of the phone call, based on the reporting of journalist Dolia Estevez. The report described Trump as humiliating Pena Nieto in a confrontational conversation.

Mexico's foreign relations department said the report was "based on absolute falsehoods."

Americans may recognize Trump's signature bombast in the comments, but the remarks may carry more weight in Mexico.

Political analyst and former presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar noted Pena Nieto had seen his low approval levels improve, as Mexicans rallied around him for publicly challenging Trump in the border wall dispute.

The latest remarks could undercut that, if Pena Nieto is viewed as "weak," he said.

Trump has used the phrase "bad hombres" before. In an October presidential debate, he vowed to get rid the U.S. of "drug lords" and "bad people."

"We have some bad hombres here, and we're going to get them out," he said. The phrase ricocheted on social media with Trump opponents saying he was denigrating immigrants.

Trump's comment was in line with the new administration's bullish stance on foreign policy matters in general, and the president's willingness to break long-standing norms around the globe.

Before his inauguration, Trump spoke to the president of Taiwan, breaking long-standing U.S. policy and irritating China. His temporary ban on refugees and travelers from seven Muslim-majority countries, aimed at reviewing screening procedures to lessen the threat of extremist attacks, has caused consternation around the world.

But nothing has created the level of bickering as the border wall, a centerpiece of his campaign. Mexico has consistently said it would not pay for the wall and opposes it. Before the phone call, Pena Nieto canceled a planned visit to the United States.

The fresh fight with Mexico last week arose over trade as the White House talked of a 20 percent tax on imports from the key U.S. ally to finance the wall after Pena Nieto abruptly scrapped his Jan. 31 trip to Washington.

The U.S. and Mexico conduct some $1.6 billion a day in cross-border trade, and cooperate on everything from migration to anti-drug enforcement to major environmental issues.

Trump tasked his son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner - a real estate executive with no foreign policy experience - with managing the ongoing dispute, according to an administration official with knowledge of the call.

At a press conference with British Prime Minister Theresa May last week, Trump described his call with Pena Nieto as "friendly."

In a statement, the White House said the two leaders acknowledged their "clear and very public differences" and agreed to work through the immigration disagreement as part of broader discussions on the relationship between their countries.

CaseyJones
02-02-2017, 10:52 AM
McCain calls Australian ambassador to express support after Trump exchange

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/317536-mccain-calls-australian-ambassador-to-express-support-after-trump-incident

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said Thursday that he spoke to the Australian ambassador to express support for the countries' relationship after a heated call from President Trump.

"I called Australia’s Ambassador to the United States this morning to express my unwavering support for the U.S.-Australia alliance," the Arizona Republican, who's frequently criticized Trump, said in a statement.

McCain added that he asked Joe Hockey, the Australian ambassador to the U.S., to "convey to the people of Australia" that Americans value their alliance, "honor the sacrifice of the Australians who have served and are serving by our side, and remain committed to the safer, freer, and better world that Australia does far more than its fair share to protect and promote.”

The Washington Post reported on Wednesday that Trump lashed out at the Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull during a call last Saturday.

The president boasted about his Electoral College victory, blasted a previous plan between the nations to accept refugees and cut short what was expected to be an hour-long call, according to the Post.

"This was the worst call by far,” Trump allegedly told Turnbull during their conversation, according to senior U.S. officials briefed on the phone call.

McCain, however, on Thursday stressed the importance of the U.S.-Australian relationship in his statement, noting the two countries have fought in conflicts together dating back to World War I.

He added that the countries' alliance is "more important than ever," pointing to their work in the Asia-Pacific region and combating terrorism.

“In short, Australia is one of America’s oldest friends and staunchest allies. We are united by ties of family and friendship, mutual interests and common values, and shared sacrifice in wartime," he said.

enhanced_deficit
02-02-2017, 12:05 PM
Mexico was supposed to be a Christian nation and already had democracy... this doesn't add up in the bigger scheme.

UWDude
02-02-2017, 09:46 PM
This better be fake news.

anonymous sources, excerpted quotes, denials on both sides. sounds like more fake news. at this point we should just reject anything that isn't sourced as its just codeword for: "I just made this $#@! up." for reference, go watch the last season of "the wire" again.

Editor’s note: This article has been updated and a reference to an AP report on the details of a phone conversation between President Trump and Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto removed because it could not be independently confirmed.

It's fake news, Mexico denies Trump threatened to invade.

Superfluous Man
02-02-2017, 09:51 PM
anonymous sources, excerpted quotes, denials on both sides. sounds like more fake news. at this point we should just reject anything that isn't sourced as its just codeword for: "I just made this $#@! up." for reference, go watch the last season of "the wire" again.

I didn't see a denial from Trump's side, just the Mexican side.

I assume that the denial is accurate and that this report is not. But the most likely explanation I can think of is that Trump explicitly assigned someone to leak this transcript.

CPUd
02-02-2017, 09:55 PM
He is just playing 2D chess. If Mexico pays for the wall, we won't invade. Otherwise we go in and take the oil to pay for the wall.