PDA

View Full Version : Droning On: More US Bombs On Yemen

bunklocoempire
01-31-2017, 11:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KURd2NjwASE
President Trump ordered a second US attack on Yemen in his still-short presidency. Over the weekend a commando-style raid was said to have killed 14 al-Qaeda operatives. Also killed were at least ten civilians including children. Is this just a continuation of Obama's disastrous Yemen policy...?

phill4paul
01-31-2017, 11:55 AM
Is this just a continuation of Obama's disastrous Yemen policy...?

I'm sure both Code Pink and Trump supporters will be here to tell us that this is different, but for different reasons.

CPUd
01-31-2017, 12:02 PM
I'm sure both Code Pink and Trump supporters will be here to tell us that this is different, but for different reasons.

Obama did it, there is legal precedence. This is why you aren't president.

CaptUSA
01-31-2017, 12:02 PM
I really need to call my Rep and scold him for authorizing this.

oh wait.

dannno
01-31-2017, 12:12 PM
Obama did it, there is legal precedence. This is why you aren't president.

Immigration is a huge government program, I'm all for halting disastrous government programs.

These actions I can't agree with, although they are very much preferable to the military actions Hillary Clinton would be taking.

Ender
01-31-2017, 02:40 PM
Immigration is a huge government program, I'm all for halting disastrous government programs.

These actions I can't agree with, although they are very much preferable to the military actions Hillary Clinton would be taking.

Really?

Killing people is better than killing people? :confused:

bunklocoempire
01-31-2017, 02:52 PM
Can you have a "safe zone" without some sort of "no fly zone"?

I"m sure the difference between a SZ and NFZ is yuuuuuuge.:toady:

CaptainAmerica
01-31-2017, 03:11 PM
welp, it looks like every president will continue to be middle east dictators. what are the chances that our troops will leave,and the drones will leave? Probably like 1 percent chance now?

Ender
01-31-2017, 03:16 PM
welp, it looks like every president will continue to be middle east dictators. what are the chances that our troops will leave,and the drones will leave? Probably like 1 percent chance now?

I think you're too optimistic.

CaptainAmerica
01-31-2017, 03:17 PM
I think you're too optimistic.

well at least we've averted ww3 so far.

Ender
01-31-2017, 03:24 PM
well at least we've averted ww3 so far.

I think we're already in it.

CaptainAmerica
01-31-2017, 03:26 PM
I think we're already in it.

no. John Mccain is in it, hes a nutcase.

Ender
01-31-2017, 04:01 PM
no. John Mccain is in it, hes a nutcase.

The whole invasion of the ME was the start of WWIII.

dannno
01-31-2017, 04:29 PM
Really?

Do you think that one person dying is as bad as 1 million dying?

Do you think the downfall of Al Qaeda would be worse than the downfall of Syria?

There is this thing called relativity.

dannno
01-31-2017, 04:32 PM
Can you have a "safe zone" without some sort of "no fly zone"?

I"m sure the difference between a SZ and NFZ is yuuuuuuge.:toady:

In a safe zone with Donald Trump as President we won't be shooting down Russian jets because they will be on our side. It will create a place for refugees to go. We can help 12 refugees in the Middle East at the same cost as we can help one refugee in western Europe or the US.

In a no fly zone with Hillary as President, we could potentially shoot down a Russian jet because we would still be supporting ISIS and Russia would still be trying to bomb ISIS. It would be a total disaster.

AZJoe
01-31-2017, 04:34 PM
SEAL Team 6’s weekend raid in Yemen killed a lot of people, with local officials putting the toll at 57 slain. ... the Pentagon is now claiming that there “were a lot of female combatants (https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-says-female-al-qaeda-combatants-killed-yemen-222817806.html)” involved in the fighting ... The Pentagon refused to comment on the images of several slain children, including the eight-year-old of US-born cleric Anwar al-Awlaki ... [Pentagon] stuck to the 14 terrorists killed figure from yesterday despite credible reports of a lot more dead bodies than that being left in the wake of the US attack, leaving totally open who all the rest of the slain were.
http://news.antiwar.com/2017/01/30/pentagon-defends-yemen-killings-insists-slain-were-female-combatants/

"at least eight women and seven children, ages 3 to 13, had been killed in the raid,” and that the attack also “severely damaged a school, a health facility and a mosque. ... al Qaeda had very little presence in Yemen before the Obama administration began bombing and droning it and killing civilians, thus driving people into the arms of the militant group (https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/in-yemen-us-airstrikes-breed-anger-and-sympathy-for-al-qaeda/2012/05/29/gJQAUmKI0U_story.html). ... Drone strikes are causing more and more Yemenis to hate America and join radical militants. … Unfortunately, liberal voices in the United States are largely ignoring, if not condoning, civilian deaths and extrajudicial killings in Yemen."
https://theintercept.com/2017/01/30/obama-killed-a-16-year-old-american-in-yemen-trump-just-killed-his-8-year-old-sister/

Can't have Yemenis defending themselves against Saudi Wahhabist, bombs [courtesy of Washington], starvation, genocide.

RJ Liberty
01-31-2017, 04:39 PM
welp, it looks like every president will continue to be middle east dictators.

Seriously. No matter who we elect, we stay in the Middle East. Doesn't matter if they say they want "hope and change", to "make America great again", or "a pet goat", all we get are endless wars.

Ender
01-31-2017, 04:57 PM

Do you think the downfall of Al Qaeda would be worse than the downfall of Syria?

There will be no "downfall" of Al Qaeda- they are a creation of the US.

And, yes, I think thinking one life is OK for collateral damage is just as bad as Madeline Albright's thinking that the death of a half million children is "worth it."

dannno
01-31-2017, 07:04 PM
There will be no "downfall" of Al Qaeda- they are a creation of the US.

No, they are a creation of the neocons. I didn't create them. Trump didn't create them. US politicians created and funded them, specifically the neocons. Trump doesn't like the neocons, so he is taking out ISIS/Al Qaeda alongside Russia. Get with the times.

And, yes, I think thinking one life is OK for collateral damage is just as bad as Madeline Albright's thinking that the death of a half million children is "worth it."

Can we actually throw some logic in with this argument? I mean, come on, worth what!???

I never said that one murder is ok - I said that one murder is preferable to a million murders. Do you agree with that or not? This is a simple question.

Influenza
01-31-2017, 07:12 PM
So far Trump on foreign policy has just been a continuation of Obombya, with some added unconstitutionality regarding the suspending of travel rights of many US citizens/green card holders. Hillary would have been awful because she would continue all of the same drone strikes AND enact her no fly zone in Syria. We already know that Trump's version of "safe zones" in Syria has already been discussed with the saudi arabian king. It remains to be seen whether or not this will be as bad as what Hillary would have proposed, but it doesn't look very promising.

Ender
01-31-2017, 08:32 PM
No, they are a creation of the neocons. I didn't create them. Trump didn't create them. US politicians created and funded them, specifically the neocons. Trump doesn't like the neocons, so he is taking out ISIS/Al Qaeda alongside Russia. Get with the times.

Can we actually throw some logic in with this argument? I mean, come on, worth what!???

I never said that one murder is ok - I said that one murder is preferable to a million murders. Do you agree with that or not? This is a simple question.

The US GOVERNMENT and the ALPHABETS/MILITARY/INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX created them; Trump is NOT going to wipe out ISIS; if ISIS suddenly disappears it will be because something else is in the wings, ready and waiting.

And, as a minister, I can never say that it is better to murder 1 person rather than many. None of it is right and I cannot and will not condone it.

dannno
01-31-2017, 09:53 PM
And, as a minister, I can never say that it is better to murder 1 person rather than many. None of it is right and I cannot and will not condone it.

So if there was a runaway train that was headed for a split, and in one direction all ten cars would fall off the bridge and everybody would die, and the other direction only one car would fall off a bridge and only the people in the one car would die, you wouldn't go over and make sure that the split was set to go in the correct direction?

CPUd
01-31-2017, 09:58 PM
So if there was a runaway train that was headed for a split, and in one direction all ten cars would fall off the bridge and everybody would die, and the other direction only one car would fall off a bridge and only the people in the one car would die, you wouldn't go over and make sure that the split was set to go in the correct direction?

I would try to stop the train.

dannno
01-31-2017, 10:21 PM

The chances of stopping the train seem pretty slim, you could end up losing 9 train cars worth of people in doing so.

Of course you could also try doing both.

Origanalist
01-31-2017, 10:43 PM

No, there is this thing called "when my guy does it it's better than when your guy does it". And you got that thing now.

timosman
01-31-2017, 10:44 PM
Really?

It isn't?:eek:

Ender
01-31-2017, 10:59 PM

Same- plus it would horrific but it wouldn't be murder.

timosman
01-31-2017, 11:30 PM

Holy fuck! Are we winning?:eek:

CaptainAmerica
01-31-2017, 11:39 PM

Civilian deaths in Iraq since 2003 invasion by american forces........was it worth it amerika? Did we win?NO.
170,375 – 189,864

AZJoe
02-01-2017, 08:29 AM
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15894256_1875442909342634_2372647433995007812_n.jp g?oh=af6673654e484a836b5fb21c6a93e26e&oe=5907B1A2

Ender
02-01-2017, 09:26 AM
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15894256_1875442909342634_2372647433995007812_n.jp g?oh=af6673654e484a836b5fb21c6a93e26e&oe=5907B1A2

^^THIS^^

And we call those who fight back, "terrorists".

tod evans
02-01-2017, 10:02 AM
^^THIS^^

And we call those who fight back, "terrorists".

Don't forget resisting arrest, impeding governmental operations, assault on a police officer etc.....

Why all the bali-hoo over foreigners the government assaults when there are countless thousands of Americans subjected to death, maiming and property deprivation?

A country that'll permit government to treat its own citizenry in such a manner could care less how they treat foreigners...

timosman
02-01-2017, 10:06 AM
Don't forget resisting arrest, impeding governmental operations, assault on a police officer etc.....

Why all the bali-hoo over foreigners the government assaults when there are countless thousands of Americans subjected to death, maiming and property deprivation?

A country that'll permit government to treat its own citizenry in such a manner could care less how they treat foreigners...

We do not really give a fuck but we sometimes need to engage in virtue signaling which is when we have to project empathy. :cool:

tod evans
02-01-2017, 10:08 AM
We do not really give a fuck but we sometimes need to engage in virtue signaling which is when we have to project empathy. :cool:

I wouldn't know 'virtue-signaling' if it bit me on the ass.....:o

Ender
02-01-2017, 10:09 AM

TRUTH

bunklocoempire
02-02-2017, 11:50 AM

U.S. "strategy":

Attempt to stop desperate terrorist tactic by drone bombing more families.

Oopsie-daisy. $Cha-ching$ Just a few more bombs, then it'll be safe for liberty and non-intervention.
The U.S. can afford this, I'm sure of it.

SMH

timosman
02-02-2017, 12:10 PM
U.S. "strategy":

Attempt to stop desperate terrorist tactic by drone bombing more families.

Oopsie-daisy. $Cha-ching$ Just a few more bombs, then it'll be safe for liberty and non-intervention.
The U.S. can afford this, I'm sure of it.

SMH

It's the only business we still have an advantage in. What do you want us to do? Manufacture? :cool:

bunklocoempire
02-02-2017, 12:23 PM

There is this thing called no one gets out alive. There seems to be two ways humans react to that fact, and comparing the value of one life to many lives is one of the ways. Is that way focusing on life, or death? No need to answer publicly.

The other way is treating all life with equal importance. Is that way focusing on life, or death?
Focusing on all lives as having equal importance, is easier if I accept my own fate, and the fate of every person that will live or has lived.

Not singling you out dannno, just sharing a thought about that logic (great vs the few).

For better understanding where I'm coming from, and where others may be coming from- There was one Guy who willingly died for all, conquered death, and offers the gift of eternal life, freely.
There is no need for myself to be concerned with ratios of deaths to lives, when I've died already. As I've died already, I am free to focus on all life, knowing there is a better life to come. Death... it's all so anti-climatic for some of us. lol;)

klamath
02-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Absolutely disgusting to see the republicans gushing over the wonderful trump going to the receive the dead sailor and not stopping once to consider trump ordered a horrible blotched raid.