PDA

View Full Version : Justin Amash on CNN's AC360 re: Travel Ban 1/30/17

tsai3904
01-30-2017, 10:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEZYyzvQR2I

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2017/01/31/exp-donald-trump-executive-order-travel-ban-justin-amash-intv-ac.cnn

jct74
01-30-2017, 10:49 PM
tube added

Created4
01-30-2017, 10:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEZYyzvQR2I

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2017/01/31/exp-donald-trump-executive-order-travel-ban-justin-amash-intv-ac.cnn

Good points. Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia - why weren't they on the list of countries banned?

dannno
01-30-2017, 11:01 PM
Good points. Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia - why weren't they on the list of countries banned?

Obama made the list of countries and labeled them a security risk, and Obama has done the same thing Trump just did back in like 2013 with Iraq. But oh no, Trump does it and everybody on the left freaks the fuck out. Good God.

Brian4Liberty
01-30-2017, 11:13 PM

It's been explained ad nauseum at this point, which is why Amash should have been more detailed in his answer. Amash needs to be very careful here that he doesn't become viewed as a tool of the left.

CPUd
01-31-2017, 01:54 AM
Justin Amash
January 29 at 4:15pm ·

Many supporters and opponents of President Trump's executive order are conflating the terms "immigrant" (which encompasses green card holders), "nonimmigrant," and "refugee."

It's not lawful to ban immigrants because of "nationality, place of birth, or place of residence." This nondiscrimination provision comes from a 1965 law (8 U.S.C. 1152 Sec. 202(a)(1)(A)) that limits the 1952 law (8 U.S.C. 1182 Sec. 212(f)) that the president cites.

It's lawful to ban nonimmigrants for almost any reason. These are people who are temporarily visiting the United States, like tourists or students.

It's lawful to ban refugees for almost any reason. But banning all refugees from particular countries is harsh and unwise. We still should admit well-vetted persons.

Understanding these distinctions is important because supporters of President Trump's executive order continue to wrongly insist that the order is lawful and that President Obama did almost the same thing in 2011. And opponents of President Trump's executive order continue to wrongly insist that banning refugees violates the Constitution or the law.

President Trump's executive order covers not only refugees but also immigrants and nonimmigrants. As noted above, it's not lawful to discriminate in the issuance of an *immigrant* visa because of the person's "nationality, place of birth, or place of residence."

President Obama's action (which wasn't disclosed at the time) covered only refugees and, therefore, did not violate the Constitution or the law, even if one finds it objectionable for other reasons.
https://www.facebook.com/justinamash/posts/1303049969734406#

Created4
01-31-2017, 09:07 AM
It's been explained ad nauseum at this point,

You mean that this is the list that Obama used? I find that a very flimsy excuse. What else is Trump doing because "Obama did it"?

Amash stated that the decision seemed political, which it was under Obama, because these other countries were excluded which obviously pose just as high a security as the ones on the list. So if Trump were clearly doing this for security purposes, why didn't he add those countries? Probably for the same political reasons Obama did not.

Created4
01-31-2017, 09:09 AM
Obama made the list of countries and labeled them a security risk, and Obama has done the same thing Trump just did back in like 2013 with Iraq. But oh no, Trump does it and everybody on the left freaks the $#@! out. Good God.

But Amash is not "on the left." He is the son of immigrants from Muslim countries. He makes a good point.

LibertyEagle
01-31-2017, 11:23 AM
It's been explained ad nauseum at this point, which is why Amash should have been more detailed in his answer. Amash needs to be very careful here that he doesn't become viewed as a tool of the left.

No kidding.

LibertyEagle
01-31-2017, 11:26 AM
You mean that this is the list that Obama used? I find that a very flimsy excuse. What else is Trump doing because "Obama did it"?

Amash stated that the decision seemed political, which it was under Obama, because these other countries were excluded which obviously pose just as high a security as the ones on the list. So if Trump were clearly doing this for security purposes, why didn't he add those countries? Probably for the same political reasons Obama did not.

No. He did it because there have been countless testimony before Congress over the last year by our intelligence community, where they stated that for many of these nations, the information does NOT exist that is needed to adequately vett people coming from them. Furthermore, they said that there is evidence that ISIS is getting in countries by melding in with refugees. Therefore, Trump wants a time out for our guys to figure out a way to in fact separate the good guys who are trying to come here, from the bad.

juleswin
01-31-2017, 11:45 AM
Obama made the list of countries and labeled them a security risk, and Obama has done the same thing Trump just did back in like 2013 with Iraq. But oh no, Trump does it and everybody on the left freaks the $#@! out. Good God.

Why does he has to follow Obama's list? where is it written that Trump has to follow in his footsteps? Nobody voting for Trump voted for him because they thought Obama made good and wise decisions and Trump should follow it. Those people voted for Hillary.

The man should grow a pair and run his admin the way he wants to run it, not the way Obama ran it.

dannno
01-31-2017, 11:50 AM
Why does he has to follow Obama's list? where is it written that Trump has to follow in his footsteps? Nobody voting for Trump voted for him because they thought Obama made good and wise decisions and Trump should follow it. Those people voted for Hillary.

The man should grow a pair and run his admin the way he wants to run it, not the way Obama ran it.

This is why you aren't Trump and this is why you aren't President. He did it the way he did because there is some legal precedence. It's called competency. I know you want him to start raging like Stalin, but that probably isn't going to happen. Sorry to disappoint.

juleswin
01-31-2017, 12:07 PM
This is why you aren't Trump and this is why you aren't President. He did it the way he did because there is some legal precedence. It's called competency. I know you want him to start raging like Stalin, but that probably isn't going to happen. Sorry to disappoint.

For me to be Trump, I would first have to be dropped on my head as a kid and then gotten a frontal lobectomy as an adult to finish off the transformation. A man who was brought in to shake things up is following some obscure legal precedent. Sorry but I am not buying it. I think this is his attempt to pretend to shake things up to his idiot supporters than to actually change anything. The ban he enacted is also for 3 month during the least traveled months of the year.

Competency my as5, if anything this is conartistry in its finest. Pandering to his idiot base while continuing the precedent of war and empire that his neocon rulers of America really care about.

undergroundrr
01-31-2017, 01:22 PM
Perhaps your head has been up your ass over the last year and you haven't noticed what has been happening in Europe from "refugees". Perhaps you should do some research.

Okay, I did some research. My conclusion - trump's list of countries has an extremely tenuous connection to terrorism in Europe in the last 15 years -

Moroccan national - 2004 Madrid train bombings
British-born - 2005 London bombings
Iraqi-born Swedish national - 2010 Stockholm suicide bombing
Norwegian-born - 2011 Norway attacks
Burundi-born French citizen - 2014 Tours police station stabbing
French-born - 2014 Dijon attack
French-born - 2014 Nantes attack
French-born to Algerian & Malian immigrants - 2015 Īle-de-France attacks
Moroccan-born French citizen mastermind, other French & Belgian citizens, 2 Iraqis, MAYBE one ex-Syrian refugee - November 2015 Paris attacks
4 Moroccan-born Belgian nationals and 1 Syrian-born Swedish national - 2016 Brussels suicide bombings
Syrian Refugee - 2016 Ansbach Wine Bar suicide bombing
Tunisian national - 2016 Nice truck attack
Tunisian national (2011 refugee) - 2016 Berlin Christmas market attack

See also http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4171120/No-terror-links-FIVE-seven-targeted-countries.html

Where are Burundi, Mali, Morocco and Tunisia on trump's list? Why 5 countries with no history of terrorist refugees?

Answer? Iran bad, Israel good. That's all there is to it.

juleswin
01-31-2017, 01:32 PM
Okay, I did some research. My conclusion - trump's list of countries has an extremely tenuous connection to terrorism in Europe in the last 15 years -

Moroccan national - 2004 Madrid train bombings
British-born - 2005 London bombings
Iraqi-born Swedish national - 2010 Stockholm suicide bombing
Norwegian-born - 2011 Norway attacks
Burundi-born French citizen - 2014 Tours police station stabbing
French-born - 2014 Dijon attack
French-born - 2014 Nantes attack
French-born to Algerian & Malian immigrants - 2015 Īle-de-France attacks
Moroccan-born French citizen mastermind, other French & Belgian citizens, 2 Iraqis, MAYBE one ex-Syrian refugee - November 2015 Paris attacks
4 Moroccan-born Belgian nationals and 1 Syrian-born Swedish national - 2016 Brussels suicide bombings
Syrian Refugee - 2016 Ansbach Wine Bar suicide bombing
Tunisian national - 2016 Nice truck attack
Tunisian national (2011 refugee) - 2016 Berlin Christmas market attack

See also http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4171120/No-terror-links-FIVE-seven-targeted-countries.html

Where are Burundi, Mali, Morocco and Tunisia on trump's list? Why 5 countries with no history of terrorist refugees?

Answer? Iran bad, Israel good. That's all there is to it.

I am sure the neocons are dancing shaking in their boots.

undergroundrr
01-31-2017, 02:31 PM
Everybody ready to invade Iran?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU6FhHcH-6A

phill4paul
01-31-2017, 02:50 PM
Everybody ready to invade Iran?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU6FhHcH-6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zoPgv_nYg

Created4
01-31-2017, 04:28 PM
No. He did it because there have been countless testimony before Congress over the last year by our intelligence community, where they stated that for many of these nations, the information does NOT exist that is needed to adequately vett people coming from them. Furthermore, they said that there is evidence that ISIS is getting in countries by melding in with refugees. Therefore, Trump wants a time out for our guys to figure out a way to in fact separate the good guys who are trying to come here, from the bad.

Perhaps your head has been up your ass over the last year and you haven't noticed what has been happening in Europe from "refugees". Perhaps you should do some research.

You've done a good job of completely avoiding the issues and what was written and said by the Congressman. If this is all about "refugees," please enlighten us as to which refugees are entering this country from Iran, for example?

The Rebel Poet
02-01-2017, 08:11 AM
It's so fun watching the border commies here doing mental gymnastics trying to pretend Trump's travel ban makes sense.