PDA

View Full Version : Constitutional Carry bill in South Dakota

Xenliad
01-30-2017, 09:17 PM
Potentially great news

PIERRE | State Rep. Lynne DiSanto of Box Elder filed the so-called Constitutional Carry Bill on Monday, which would make South Dakota the 11th state to allow each law-abiding citizen to carry a firearm for self-defense without first getting a government permit.

State Sen. Lance Russell (R-Hot Springs) is expected to file a similar bill in the Senate within the next few days.

House Bill 1072 recognizes the right of every law-abiding citizen to carry a firearm for self-defense, openly or concealed, without first getting a government permit. The current pistol permit system will remain in place for those who want a permit for out-of-state reciprocity.

Both bills have the full support of South Dakota Gun Owners and the National Association for Gun Rights.

The 10 states that have adopted the law already are Idaho, Wyoming, Kansas, Maine, Vermont, West Virginia, Mississippi, Missouri, Arizona and Alaska.

“As South Dakotans, firearms are a part of our culture,” said DiSanto, a Republican.

“Constitutional Carry leads to safer neighborhoods,” NAGR president Dudley Brown said. “Compared to the rest of the nation, Constitutional Carry states have much lower murder and violent crime rates.”

Brown referred to the Crime Prevention Research Center study released last year, which showed Wyoming as the fourth safest state in the nation in terms of violent crime rates per capita. Vermont ranked first.

South Dakota was ranked the 22nd most dangerous state in the country in the survey.

“South Dakota Gun Owners’ 18,000 members and supporters call on Gov. Daugaard to give Constitutional Carry his full-throated support,” SAGO executive director Ray Lautenschlager said.
http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/disanto-files-constitutional-carry-gun-bill-in-house/article_843db741-19f3-51aa-b86a-f27062b075b4.html

William Tell
01-30-2017, 09:34 PM
Awesome. All the states passing it are having a domino effect. The more states pass it the more other states are considering it.

Matt Collins
01-30-2017, 10:14 PM
Glad to have played a part in this trend. One of the state leg's is a good friend of mine that worked with me at NAGR a few years back. It is likely to pass.

Keith and stuff
01-31-2017, 02:41 PM
Awesome. All the states passing it are having a domino effect. The more states pass it the more other states are considering it.

Yup. I remember in 2010 the #2 candidate for the NHGOP nomination for governor didn't even know what Constitutional Carry was about. In 2015 and 2016, the NH legislature sent the best Constitutional Carry law in the nation to the governor, only to have it vetoed. So we elected a governor that supports Constitutional Carry. Hopefully we can send the same bill to the new governor and finally get without question the best gun laws in the nation.

It is nice to see progress in ND, SD, TX, and maybe other states this year. The more the merrier! I do wish other states would follow NH's lead with an excellent version of CC, but at this point, anything is usually better than nothing.

Xenliad
02-18-2017, 11:31 AM
South Dakota governor promises veto of constitutional carry bill

Republican Gov. Dennis Daugaard says he will again reject permitless carry legislation if it reaches his desk as a House bill to bring constitutional carry to the state is set for hearings this week.

Daugaard, who shot down similar legislation before, feels HB 1072 is bad legislation that is not needed due to the what he describes as the state’s minimal and effective permitting system.

“House Bill 1072 would eliminate the permit requirement in order to carry a concealed weapon,” wrote Daugaard in an op-ed published by the Rapid City Journal. “Under this bill, the vetting process would be removed. Individuals with a proven history of violence or substance abuse and those who have been identified as a danger to the public or to themselves could not be restricted from carrying a firearm.”

The legislation, introduced by House Majority Whip Rep. Lynne DiSanto, R-Box Elder, would keep in place the current permitting system, which issues five-year licenses for concealed carry for $10. Under its current language, South Dakota law would change to allow concealed carry by those lawfully able to possess a handgun without having to first have a permit.

There were some 96,047 permits in circulation as of the end of 2016. Open carry without a permit is legal.

“Legal gun owners should be able to carry their gun the way they choose, without ‘buying back’ their constitutional right,” argues DiSanto, whose bill has the support of the National Rifle Association and other gun rights groups.

Gun control groups funded by former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg released a poll conducted by SurveyUSA that contends 89 percent of South Dakota voters surveyed support requiring permits for concealed carry.

In 2012, Daugaard vetoed a similar permitless carry bill at the urging of the South Dakota Sheriffs Association. The lobby group was key in defeating another attempt at constitutional carry in 2015.

DiSanto’s proposal is set to be heard by the House State Affairs committee on Wednesday and has 27 co-sponsors in the GOP-controlled chamber.

State Sen. Lance Russell, R-Hot Springs, has filed a similar bill in the Senate, SB 94, which has four co-sponsors.

http://www.guns.com/2017/02/15/south-dakota-governor-promises-veto-of-constitutional-carry-bill/

Athan
02-18-2017, 11:55 AM
Glad to have played a part in this trend. One of the state leg's is a good friend of mine that worked with me at NAGR a few years back. It is likely to pass.

Any idea how much wind there is to repeal the NFA and Hughes amendment up at DC?

Matt Collins
02-18-2017, 02:18 PM
Any idea how much wind there is to repeal the NFA and Hughes amendment up at DC?
I don't know what is happening on the federal level, although I tend to doubt that would come about. Trump isn't exactly a firearms freedom kind of guy, and neither is Ryan or Mitch.

That being said, perhaps Thomas and Justin and Rand can get some stuff done. We'll see.

Athan
02-18-2017, 03:45 PM
I bring it up because one of Trump's sons was campaigning against silencers being on the NFA since some European countries want its few gun owners to have silencers to reduce noise pollution.

Suzanimal
04-01-2017, 06:51 PM
Video at link.

SD Lawmaker asks ‘If it pleases the crown’ on the House floor

Republican House Representative Daniel Kaiser, made a bold statement on HB 1072 in front of South Dakota lawmakers on Monday.

HB 1072 would “repeal and revise certain provisions relating to permits to carry a concealed pistol” as defined on the bill’s history page. The bill was introduced to the House on January 23rd, 2017, and later vetoed by Governor Dennis Daugaard.

Daugaard stated “I am unaware of a single instance in which a person who could lawfully possess a gun was denied a permit to carry a concealed pistol. Our permit laws are effective in screening people who are not eligible to carry a concealed weapon.”

A motion to override the Governor’s veto was presented and debated on the House floor where, amidst dialogue from various districts, Representative Kaiser emerged straight out of a “Thug Life” meme to defend our Second Amendment rights. He quotes “Free people do not ask for permission to do what’s right” and “If it pleases the crown, may I carry a firearm underneath my sports coat”. This is in reference to a viral social media campaign popularized by the Liberty movement that the United States government is functioning much like a Monarchy from which we must beg for our own rights.

Kaiser pointed out that he and his fellow lawmakers are there to serve the people, not the other way around. Responding to other representative concerns about Sturgis and police safety, he also noted that as a law enforcement officer himself, his fellow police officers supported the bill questioning why the governor had vetoed it in the first place. He emphasized that they shouldn’t use Sturgis and out of staters as “a crutch”, because they are supposed to believe in the people and restore our rights.

https://libertyviral.com/sd-lawmaker-asks-if-it-pleases-the-crown-on-the-house-floor/