PDA

View Full Version : Trump fires opening shot in military buildup with presidential order

CPUd
01-27-2017, 07:20 PM
Trump fires opening shot in military buildup with presidential order

President Donald Trump on Friday took the first formal step to undertake a costly military buildup, signaling what could be a major turnaround from years of relying on a smaller, more agile force and within strict spending limits mandated by Congress.

In an executive memorandum he signed during his first visit to the Pentagon, Trump detailed plans to fulfill his campaign promises to invest in a bigger military — including more troops, warships and a modernized nuclear arsenal — declaring he was beginning "a great rebuilding of the armed services of the United States."

"Developing a plan for new planes, new ships, new resources and new tools for our men and women in uniform — and I’m very proud to be doing that," Trump said at a ceremonial swearing in of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis. "As we prepare our budget request for Congress — and I think Congress is going to be very happy to see it — our military strength will be questioned by no one, but neither will our dedication to peace."

Trump's proposed military buildup is one of the key ways he's planning for a major departure from the Obama administration on national security issues. The new president also signed an executive action Friday on stricter immigration vetting, and there have been draft executive orders floating around Washington this week that call for safe zones in Syria, a review U.S. interrogation policies and the use of "black sites" for captured terror detainees.

“There’s no doubt he’s trying to signal a new direction,” said Mackenzie Eaglen, a defense analyst at the American Enterprise Institute.

Trump’s order to make preparations for a military buildup — and to craft a budget plan to support it — will ultimately require the backing of Congress. But the Pentagon will have significant influence on setting the foundation and building the political support, according to experts.

“When you have an outfit with $500 [billion] or $600 billion a year to play with, there are a lot of possibilities to reprogram immediately,” said retired Army Col. Joseph Collins, who teaches national security strategy at the Pentagon’s National Defense University. “That takes the permission of Congress, but Congress is not going to say no to improving the readiness of the armed forces. Congress would undoubtedly support many of the measures that are on the Pentagon’s wish list here.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-rebuild-military-executive-action-234288

nikcers
01-27-2017, 11:53 PM
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-rebuild-military-executive-action-234288

I've been looking everywhere there was a lot of fake news put out today that implied there were drafts for an executive order to order rebuilding and upgrading every aspect of our military so that we can deal with threats of any kind- I still haven't seen a good source for this yet, I would imagine they would keep things like this wrapped in secret, I am sure there is some loophole for them to write executive orders that are top secret and never see the public eye.

President Donald Trump is scheduled to speak with several foreign leaders Saturday including Russian President Vladimir Putin, the prime minister of Japan, Shinzo Abe, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, the president of France, Fran ois Hollande, and Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.
It will be the first time the president has spoken with any of the leaders since his inauguration. (http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-to-speak-with-putin-other-world-leaders-saturday/)

(http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-to-speak-with-putin-other-world-leaders-saturday/)

CPUd
01-27-2017, 11:58 PM
Our military is a disaster! We will have the best military and make Mexico pay for it.

timosman
01-28-2017, 12:03 AM
Repeat after me: We are not controlled by the military! :cool:

Anti Federalist
01-28-2017, 01:03 AM
This is one that you were complaining about in the other thread that actually is for show, mostly.

It directs Mattis to conduct a readiness review and submit reports within 30 days.

It directs DoD to submit plans for coming fiscal years.

https://html2-f.scribdassets.com/6axxsk0sw05oo6jc/images/2-f64b25740b.jpg

Anti Federalist
01-28-2017, 01:03 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2017/01/27/draft-executive-order-shows-how-trump-wants-to-grow-the-u-s-military-significantly/?utm_term=.8f928afdb135

CPUd
01-28-2017, 01:13 AM
Yeah, this is something the DoD probably does anyway.

MallsRGood
01-28-2017, 01:20 AM
In an executive memorandum he signed during his first visit to the Pentagon, Trump detailed plans to fulfill his campaign promises to invest in a bigger military — including more troops, warships and a modernized nuclear arsenal — declaring he was beginning "a great rebuilding of the armed services of the United States."

Ron Paul on steroids, yo.

(Ron loved nothing more than large contracts to Boeing and Raytheon)

MAGA!

..and DARPA!

I mean DERPA!

Anti Federalist
01-28-2017, 01:28 AM
Yeah, this is something the DoD probably does anyway.

Pretty much, and you could certainly expect it with an incoming administration.

That said, the soldier sniffing and copsucking aspects of his speeches and plans are where I certainly would oppose.

Making the Military Great again, when we spend more than a third of what the entire planet spends on military, while being in debt to the tune of $20 trillion is ridiculous on the face of it.

timosman
01-28-2017, 01:30 AM
Pretty much, and you could certainly expect it with an incoming administration.

That said, the soldier sniffing and copsucking aspects of his speeches and plans are where I certainly would oppose.

Making the Military Great again, when we spend more than a third of what the entire planet spends on military, while being in debt to the tune of $20 trillion is ridiculous on the face of it.

You can't openly go against the military.:cool:

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-28-2017, 02:51 AM
Aren't you from the UK?

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-28-2017, 03:16 AM
Anybody remember when CPUd had a mockery of the famous Snowden avatar that was blue and red? (A lot of people here still use it.) Instead of CPUd's avatar being pic of Snowden however, it was a pic of a cat in a Snowden like pose. Instead of the word "hero," it said "feed." CPUd custom made that avatar. Now why would he do such a thing?