PDA

View Full Version : Female only ride share service starts in Boston

Anti Federalist
01-27-2017, 07:06 PM
Ride-hailing service for women launches next week

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_WOMEN_ONLY_RIDES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-01-27-12-51-17

BOSTON (AP) -- An Uber-like service connecting female riders and drivers is launching in Boston following a rebranding and leadership change.

Safr says it will start its service next week on an invite-only basis. It plans to open to the wider Boston-area public starting March 1.

The company attracted attention last spring when founder Michael Pelletz announced its launch as Chariot for Women. The former Uber driver has since transferred management of the company to other executives.

The concept, which is also being developed by a New York City-based company, has faced questions about whether it runs afoul of anti-discrimination laws.

A Safr spokeswoman tells the Boston Globe the company is "mindful" of the concerns and is working with its legal advisers to make sure it's in compliance.

anaconda
01-27-2017, 08:24 PM
Is this legal?

heavenlyboy34
01-27-2017, 08:27 PM
Doesn't the 1964 CRA prohibit this?

Muh gut says no, but I bet there's a lawyer who can prove otherwise...

Anti Federalist
01-27-2017, 08:33 PM
Doesn't the 1964 CRA prohibit this?

If they prohibit men from using the service, yes.

If it is just marketed to women, no.

Personally, I hope it is prohibited, since then you can open a can of worms on so many other free business issues.

FSP-Rebel
01-27-2017, 08:35 PM
Is proof of one's vagina necessary to join?

anaconda
01-27-2017, 08:36 PM
If they prohibit men from using the service, yes.

I'm not able to find anything in the 1964 CRA. Only regarding employment. I'm seeing where it's illegal to refuse service based upon gender. Help me out here.

anaconda
01-27-2017, 08:37 PM

It's a fair question. If a woman or man sues for gender discrimination in employment matters, is she or he required to produce a birth certificate specifying gender? I honestly don't know the answer. Or perhaps only that the employer only thought the claimant was of a particular gender?

timosman
01-27-2017, 08:41 PM

The service is built on trust. We trust nobody will claim being a woman unless they are.:rolleyes:

anaconda
01-27-2017, 08:43 PM
This article about Hooters hiring only female servers is interesting, as it explains how gender discrimination in employment is allowed under certain circumstances. I'm not sure how this might relate to service providing rather than employment...

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/20tifj/eli5how_do_hooters_and_similiar_restaurants_get/

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-27-2017, 08:44 PM
Fat girl trolleys.