PDA

View Full Version : Need help with sign making

aspiringconstitutionalist
12-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Sorry, this is a really specific question, but I couldn't find a thread that really addressed this: What's are the best materials and methods to use in making Ron Paul stencils for signs, and, particularly, what kind of paint should be used in doing so?

twister5400
12-09-2007, 10:56 PM
for your stencils, use the thick like cardboard or particle board...
for the signs, use tyvek. its used in construction and can be found at lowes.
for the corners of the banners, fold duct tape over the edge, so it won't rip...
cut a little hole up there for your ties.
you can buy metal grommets to sturdy it up so it won't rip. the best place i've found to buy them is the arts and craft section at walmart. they are a lot cheaper than at lowes, and you can actually get packs of 20 or 30.
to put the signs up, i either use string to stretch it over long distances, or plastic zip ties....

hope that helps

12-09-2007, 11:01 PM
for your stencils, use the thick like cardboard or particle board...
for the signs, use tyvek. its used in construction and can be found at lowes.
for the corners of the banners, fold duct tape over the edge, so it won't rip...
cut a little hole up there for your ties.
you can buy metal grommets to sturdy it up so it won't rip. the best place i've found to buy them is the arts and craft section at walmart. they are a lot cheaper than at lowes, and you can actually get packs of 20 or 30.
to put the signs up, i either use string to stretch it over long distances, or plastic zip ties....

hope that helps

I've already got a buttload of old campaign signs from the local elections last month that I'm planning on painting over with Ron Paul slogans, so I don't need to worry about making new signs, but thanks for the stencil advice. What kind of paint should I use though?

twister5400
12-09-2007, 11:07 PM
i just use oil based spray paints that won't run if they get wet

12-09-2007, 11:10 PM
i just use oil based spray paints that won't run if they get wet

Should I just use a white spraypaint to paint over the original sign logo before spraypainting the lettering, or should I use a different kind of paint for the background?

Jimmy
12-09-2007, 11:19 PM
I think I would rather roll on the paint in using white as a base. It would cover better than spray bombs IMO especially when trying to cover darker colors and such. Stencils I have no good advice on...except probably spray bombs would be much easier on that end....................for the base white rolling coat...I would think a water based paint would be fine...allow it plenty of time to dry and it would clean up much easier...any oil base would require a thinner of sorts for clean up. Oil would be better weather resistant but for a month or two a good quality water base should be ok I would think...others may disagree...as I am no real authority

work2win
12-09-2007, 11:22 PM
For a stencil that is about 22x30" or less, you can use foam- board found in the school-supplies /art section of wal-mart. This cuts easily with an exacto knife and will make a ridgid stencil. I've heard you can find this in larger sheets at art stores. Hit up the hardware store for a few different sizes of letter stencils. Look near the mailboxes and signs.

12-09-2007, 11:23 PM
I think I would rather roll on the paint in using white as a base. It would cover better than spray bombs IMO especially when trying to cover darker colors and such. Stencils I have no good advice on...except probably spray bombs would be much easier on that end...

Any particular kind or brand of paint you'd recommend for the base?

Jimmy
12-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Any particular kind or brand of paint you'd recommend for the base?

See my edit in previous...Good luck

krott5333
12-10-2007, 12:08 AM
I use coroplast for stencils. I work at a gas station, so I have access to coroplast. You know those Marlboro and Coca-Cola signs that are always cable-tied to the poles out front? Those are coroplast. Theyre like a corrugated plastic, so they hold up when soaked with paint.

I got some 6" letter stencils at the hardware store. I tape the letters in place on the coroplast, and then I use the cheap 96-cent walmart spray paint and paint the stencils. Then, after removing the stencil letters, I use a dremel tool or some type of knife to cut the letters out. Then I have a stencil, ready to go! Its easier doing it that way, instead of placing each letter on each sign separately. Though you can do it that way if you're not making too many signs.

For the actual signs.. if you're using old campaign signs, just get a gallon of cheap white house paint, and roll it on. Doesnt really matter what kind. I just use the cheapest stuff walmart has. I think its latex based, not sure though. Don't even bother trying to use white spray paint, it will take forever.

The hardest part is cutting out the stencils, takes awhile. But once you got some good stencils made, you can produce signs rather quicky.

And once you have your stencils made, you can combine them..

For example, I have one piece of coroplast that says "RON PAUL" and another that says "4 PREZ 2008". Mix and match.. I'll do "RON PAUL 08" or "RON 08"...depending on the size of the sign I'm making.

And if you're making a smaller sign, you can paint the "RON", and then slide the stencil to tighten it up a bit, and paint the "PAUL".

You'll figure it out.

Have fun.

Revolutn
12-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Also if in doubt, go to the original source:

http://www.rescue-us.org/new/RPR-HowTo

krott5333
12-10-2007, 12:17 AM
heres a good video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8372868777433155626