PDA

View Full Version : Tulsi Gabbard back from Syria: The Syrian People Desperately Want Peace

Peace Piper
01-26-2017, 07:02 AM
https://s24.postimg.org/abhobjfs5/1_OFB7fmw_Pye_PAHWi_EMBt_L4w.jpg

The Syrian People Desperately Want Peace

Tulsi Gabbard, 1/23/17

As much of Washington prepared for the inauguration of President Donald Trump, I spent last week on a fact-finding mission in Syria and Lebanon to see and hear directly from the Syrian people. Their lives have been consumed by a horrific war that has killed hundreds of thousands of Syrians and forced millions to flee their homeland in search of peace.

It is clear now more than ever: this regime change war does not serve America’s interest, and it certainly isn’t in the interest of the Syrian people.

I traveled throughout Damascus and Aleppo, listening to Syrians from different parts of the country. I met with displaced families from the eastern part of Aleppo, Raqqah, Zabadani, Latakia, and the outskirts of Damascus. I met Syrian opposition leaders who led protests in 2011, widows and children of men fighting for the government and widows of those fighting against the government. I met Lebanon’s newly-elected President Aoun and Prime Minister Hariri, U.S. Ambassador to Lebanon Elizabeth Richard, Syrian President Assad, Grand Mufti Hassoun, Archbishop Denys Antoine Chahda of Syrian Catholic Church of Aleppo, Muslim and Christian religious leaders, humanitarian workers, academics, college students, small business owners, and more.

Their message to the American people was powerful and consistent: There is no difference between “moderate” rebels and al-Qaeda (al-Nusra) or ISIS — they are all the same. This is a war between terrorists under the command of groups like ISIS and al-Qaeda and the Syrian government. They cry out for the U.S. and other countries to stop supporting those who are destroying Syria and her people.
I heard this message over and over again from those who have suffered and survived unspeakable horrors. They asked that I share their voice with the world; frustrated voices which have not been heard due to the false, one-sided biased reports pushing a narrative that supports this regime change war at the expense of Syrian lives.

I heard testimony about how peaceful protests against the government that began in 2011 were quickly overtaken by Wahhabi jihadist groups like al-Qaeda (al-Nusra) who were funded and supported by Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Qatar, the United States, and others. They exploited the peaceful protesters, occupied their communities, and killed and tortured Syrians who would not cooperate with them in their fight to overthrow the government.
I met a Muslim girl from Zabadani who was kidnapped, beaten repeatedly, and raped in 2012, when she was just 14 years old, by “rebel groups” who were angry that her father, a sheep herder, would not give them his money. She watched in horror as masked men murdered her father in their living room, emptying their entire magazine of bullets into him.
I met a boy who was kidnapped while walking down the street to buy bread for his family. He was tortured, waterboarded, electrocuted, placed on a cross and whipped, all because he refused to help the “rebels” — he told them he just wanted to go to school. This is how the “rebels” are treating the Syrian people who do not cooperate with them, or whose religion is not acceptable to them.

Although opposed to the Assad government, the political opposition spoke strongly about their adamant rejection of the use of violence to bring about reforms. They argue that if the Wahhabi jihadists, fueled by foreign governments, are successful in overthrowing the Syrian state, it would destroy Syria and its long history of a secular, pluralist society where people of all religions have lived peacefully side by side. Although this political opposition continues to seek reforms, they are adamant that as long as foreign governments wage a proxy regime change war against Syria using jihadist terrorist groups, they will stand with the Syrian state as they work peacefully toward a stronger Syria for all Syrians.

Originally, I had no intention of meeting with Assad, but when given the opportunity, I felt it was important to take it. I think we should be ready to meet with anyone if there’s a chance it can help bring about an end to this war, which is causing the Syrian people so much suffering.

I return to Washington, DC with even greater resolve to end our illegal war to overthrow the Syrian government. From Iraq to Libya and now in Syria, the U.S. has waged wars of regime change, each resulting in unimaginable suffering, devastating loss of life, and the strengthening of groups like al-Qaeda and ISIS.

I call upon Congress and the new Administration to answer the pleas of the Syrian people immediately and support the Stop Arming Terrorists Act. We must stop directly and indirectly supporting terrorists — directly by providing weapons, training and logistical support to rebel groups affiliated with al-Qaeda and ISIS; and indirectly through Saudi Arabia, the Gulf States, and Turkey, who, in turn, support these terrorist groups. We must end our war to overthrow the Syrian government and focus our attention on defeating al-Qaeda and ISIS.

The U.S. must stop supporting terrorists who are destroying Syria and her people. The U.S. and other countries fueling this war must stop immediately. We must allow the Syrian people to try to recover from this terrible war.

Thank you,
Tulsi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LRZlfInXNs

dean.engelhardt
01-26-2017, 07:44 AM
Wow! I hope that Tulsi is not assassinated for what she has to say here. The war machine and media machine really wants war in Syria.

Ender
01-26-2017, 09:39 AM
Wow! I hope that Tulsi is not assassinated for what she has to say here. The war machine and media machine really wants war in Syria.

That last sentence may do it for her. :(

vita3
01-26-2017, 09:48 AM
Lady has courage & conviction & is not afraid.

Like to see Dr.Paul do a Skype interview with Assad

timosman
01-26-2017, 09:51 AM
Fuсk the people, we have a business to make. :cool:

timosman
01-26-2017, 09:52 AM
Thank you for disrupting the circle jerk, lady!

CaptUSA
01-26-2017, 10:13 AM
Should have been Secretary of State.

jllundqu
01-26-2017, 10:31 AM
5 star

+rep

THanks for posting. Nice to see a thread with substance. Hope it's not derailed by the usual suspects and apologists here.

afwjam
01-26-2017, 11:01 AM
My congresswomen, I voted for her despite her being a democrat.

vita3
01-26-2017, 11:12 AM
Tulsi served 2 tours in Iraq & is on Armed Service Commitee.

Liberty report should interview her on Syrian experience

pao
01-26-2017, 11:44 AM
Should have been Secretary of State.

Agree... I wonder if she was reject as SOS because such a position would have elevated her profile/increased name recognition which may be a threat in future elections.

01-26-2017, 11:49 AM
My congresswomen, I voted for her despite her being a democrat.

I probably would have voted for her if she was running in my state as well. She does a good job.

dannno
01-26-2017, 11:52 AM
5 star

+rep

THanks for posting. Nice to see a thread with substance. Hope it's not derailed by the usual suspects and apologists here.

I am actually quite interested in what Zippo has to say on this one, since he has been an apologist for the government opposition.

seapilot
01-26-2017, 12:35 PM
So much truth publicly is going to make Neo Con heads explode!

enhanced_deficit
01-26-2017, 12:37 PM
No reason to doubt her claim that Syrian people desperately want peace... but DGP puppetbag's political slave masters wanted destabilization of Syria and that is what they got.

Obama Years: A Dark Chapter in World History (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?498046-Obama-Years-A-Dark-Chapter-In-World-History&)

TheCount
01-26-2017, 12:37 PM
Trump's going to give them peace with some US military provided safe zones, don't you worry.

bunklocoempire
01-26-2017, 12:40 PM
I don't trust her or see a consistency with her regarding NAP, but I like NAP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8I02I7uMgY

enhanced_deficit
01-26-2017, 01:01 PM
Trump's going to give them peace with some US military provided safe zones, don't you worry.

Time will tell if Trumpster is going to do anything material for Syrian people besides lip service err tweet-service.
But to be fair, he probably has already contributed a lot towards Syrian people's future safety by exposing the neocons cabal behind violent threats they have faced since moderate neocons toolbag's selection to WH... and by defeating Hillary.

TRUMP: OBAMA FOUNDED ISIS
http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/donald-trump-obama-isis-1.gif

jllundqu
01-26-2017, 02:04 PM
I am actually quite interested in what Zippo has to say on this one, since he has been an apologist for the government opposition.

I agree with that. There are a LOT of 'regime change' hawks here that think removing Assad is actually a good idea.

timosman
01-26-2017, 03:35 PM

I am not. I would rather hear why he keeps hanging around here. Is he even in US?

01-26-2017, 04:18 PM
I agree with that. There are a LOT of 'regime change' hawks here that think removing Assad is actually a good idea.

It is lunacy to think Assad is going anywhere. Putin is backing Assad. Removing Assad is impossible without kicking off WW3.

CaseyJones
01-26-2017, 09:42 PM
Gabbard meeting with Assad draws disgust from fellow lawmakers

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/316430-gabbard-meeting-with-assad-draws-disgust-from-fellow-lawmakers

Democrats and Republicans appear equally rattled at Rep. Tulsi Gabbard's decision to meet this month with Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad.

“There's a pretty unanimous feeling of shock and disgust,” said a Democratic aide who works on national security issues. “Everybody I've talked to on both sides of the aisle, I think people are just stunned.”

Republicans appeared more willing than Democrats to go on the record in ripping

Gabbard (D-Hawaii), an Iraq War veteran and a prominent member of both the House Armed Services and Foreign Affairs committees.

“An elected official, a representative of the United States, went on a secret trip to meet with the brutal dictator who had murdered nearly half a million of his own people –– it's reprehensible and cannot be justified,” Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.), another Iraq War veteran, said Thursday in an email.

“The actions of Congresswoman Gabbard have put our nation's reputation and foreign policy concerns at high risk and I couldn't be more disgusted.”

Rep. Ed Royce (R-Calif.), chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee, is also seething.

“Assad has exterminated hundreds of thousands of Syrians,” a committee spokesman said Thursday. “This trip was not authorized by the committee, and it was just wrong.”

Rep. Eliot Engel (N.Y.), the senior Democrat on the Foreign Affairs panel, offered a similar rebuke of Assad in a statement that did not explicitly criticize Gabbard or her decision to meet with Assad.

"Mr. Engel's position on Assad is well established: he's a war criminal and a murderer, he has supported and benefitted from terrorism, he has close ties to Russia, and he cannot have a role in Syria's future," spokesman Tim Mulvey said in an email.

Not everyone is blasting Gabbard, who backed Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) in the Democratic primary and harshly criticized former President Obama’s policies on Syria.

Rep. Brad Sherman (D-Calif.), the second-ranking Democrat on the Foreign Affairs panel, defended her trip, arguing that legislators have every right to examine the foreign policy they influence, even if it puts them face-to-face with loathsome folks.

“Congress has an equal role in the conduct of American foreign policy even if Congress doesn't negotiate directly on behalf of the United States,” Sherman said.

“Sometimes we have to hear from and meet with leaders that are detestable,” he added. “I have my disagreements with Tulsi on Syria policy, but knowing Tulsi, I am confident she comported herself admirably on this trip.”

Gabbard said she had “no intention” of meeting with Assad as part of her clandestine trip to examine the state of Syria's brutal civil war.

But she grabbed the opportunity when it arose, she said, in an effort to expedite a peaceful resolution to the years-old conflict.

“I think we should be ready to meet with anyone if there’s a chance it can help bring about an end to this war, which is causing the Syrian people so much suffering,” she said Wednesday in a statement.

Gabbard gave no warning to congressional leaders that she was going –– a stealth that's clearly agitated her own leadership.

“I have no knowledge of the trip,” House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) told reporters curtly on Wednesday. “I don't know any of the particulars of it. I don't know the basis of the invitation, I don't know the auspices under which she went.”

But Gabbard's office defended that decision Thursday, saying the trip was approved by the House Ethics Committee –– “the only House rules requirement,” a spokeswoman said –– and kept secret from the public “for obvious security reasons.”

Gabbard returned from her trip –– a seven-day venture to parts of Syria and Lebanon –– bearing a stark, two-pronged warning to Congress and the White House. One: The U.S. intervention in Syria's civil war is not helping “moderate” freedom fighters take on the Assad regime, but is actually propping up terrorists associated with al Qaeda and the Islamic State. And two: The U.S. should end its “regime change” war against Assad and focus its military might on al Qaeda and ISIS instead.

“From Iraq to Libya and now in Syria, the U.S. has waged wars of regime change, each resulting in unimaginable suffering, devastating loss of life, and the strengthening of groups like al-Qaeda and ISIS,” she said in her statement.

The argument, however, is ringing hollow with many on Capitol Hill.

Critics say the thrust of her message –– that those fighting Assad are all terrorists –– sounds like it was pulled from a page of Assad's own propaganda machine.

“The talking points she's using about how there is no moderate Syrian opposition, and that everyone the Assad regime has been carrying out this campaign of violence on, that they're all terrorists, I mean, that sounds like something you hear on [Russia Today],” said the Democratic national security aide, referring to the Kremlin-backed news organization.

No one is questioning Gabbard's patriotism, the aide emphasized, “but on this issue, she finds herself well out of the mainstream.”

Gabbard's office responded by pointing to a past statement: “There is no actual debate about the fact that ISIS and al-Qaeda are the most powerful opposition groups,” she said in 2014.

Gabbard's decision to sit down with Assad has infuriated some human rights advocates.

“No one is against a political solution,” Mouaz Moustafa, executive director of the Syrian Emergency Task Force, said Thursday by phone. “What the harm is in meeting with him is, it empowers him. This is a guy who believes that he can militarily win. He doesn't believe in a political solution.”

Moustafa, who said he'd previously accompanied Gabbard to the Turkey-Syria border, said her meeting was “beyond shameful.”

“What she's saying is, 'This is a legitimate president, everyone he's fighting is a terrorist, and we should empower him to continue to kill his own people,’” he charged.

Joining Gabbard on the trip were her husband; several peace advocates; and former Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) and his wife. The trip, she said, was "led and sponsored" by a group called the Arab American Community Center for Economic and Social Services (AACCESS).

After several attempts, The Hill got through to AACCESS on Thursday. After learning the topic, the person answering the phone took a reporter's name and number and abruptly hung up. The group did not call back.

A Defense Department spokesman, Navy Capt. Jeff Davis, said Thursday that the Pentagon knew of the trip but had no hand in managing it.

“We were aware as it was happening,” Davis said.

“We refer you to her to find out about how she got there and who sponsored her visit,” he added, “but it was not us.”

seapilot
01-26-2017, 09:58 PM
Critics say the thrust of her message –– that those fighting Assad are all terrorists –– sounds like it was pulled from a page of Assad's own propaganda machine.

“The talking points she's using about how there is no moderate Syrian opposition, and that everyone the Assad regime has been carrying out this campaign of violence on, that they're all terrorists, I mean, that sounds like something you hear on [Russia Today],” said the Democratic national security aide, referring to the Kremlin-backed news organization.

She finds out the truth by going there and they criticize her while believing with no evidence Russia Hacked the election. They really are dimwits.

Ender
01-26-2017, 09:59 PM
She finds out the truth by going there and they criticize her while believing with no evidence Russia Hacked the election. They really are dimwits.

Yup.

timosman
01-26-2017, 10:00 PM

Not big enough dimwits for people to figure that out.:confused:

KrokHead
01-27-2017, 04:13 AM

Definetely, war in Syria does not make Syrians or Americans safer. I hope Tulsi stays safe.

shakey1
01-27-2017, 09:08 AM

Yes, that kind of talk is what got MLK shot... a very courageous woman... hope she can make a difference.

vita3
01-27-2017, 10:36 AM
Courage is a virtue.

goldenequity
01-27-2017, 06:00 PM
US congresswoman Tulsi Gabbart talks to students in Damascus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O69uVMEOoGk

vita3
01-27-2017, 07:27 PM
Interesting link Golden Equity, with Gabbard talking with Syrian young women

UWDude
01-27-2017, 09:50 PM

I am not interested in what Zippy or CPUd have to say about it. I already know.

Influenza
01-27-2017, 10:40 PM
She seems to be by far the most straightforward congressperson when it comes to the Syria issue. No beating around the bush, just right to the point.

AZJoe
01-29-2017, 01:22 PM
“My visit to Syria has made it abundantly clear: Our counterproductive regime change war does not serve America’s interest, and it certainly isn’t in the interest of the Syrian people.” - Tulsi Gabbard

donnay
01-29-2017, 01:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgdJZRNZ_RE