PDA

View Full Version : Sales of George Orwell's 1984 surge after Kellyanne Conway's 'alternative facts'

CPUd
01-24-2017, 08:35 PM
Sales of George Orwell's 1984 surge after Kellyanne Conway's 'alternative facts'

Comments made by Donald Trump’s adviser have been compared to the classic dystopian novel, pushing it to become the sixth best-selling book on Amazon
Kellyanne Conway denies Trump press secretary lied: ‘He offered alternative facts’

Sales of George Orwell’s dystopian drama 1984 have soared after Kellyanne Conway, adviser to the reality-TV-star-turned-president, Donald Trump, used the phrase “alternative facts” in an interview. As of Tuesday, the book was the sixth best-selling book on Amazon.

Comparisons were made with the term “newspeak” used in the 1949 novel, which was used to signal a fictional language that aims at eliminating personal thought and also “doublethink”. In the book Orwell writes that it “means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one’s mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them”.

The connection was initially made on CNN’s Reliable Sources. “Alternative facts is a George Orwell phrase,” said Washington Post reporter Karen Tumulty.

Conway’s use of the term was in reference to White House press secretary Sean Spicer’s comments about last week’s inauguration attracting “the largest audience ever”. Her interview was widely criticized and she was sub-tweeted by Merriam-Webster dictionary with a definition of the word fact. On last night’s Late Night with Seth Meyers, the host joked: “Kellyanne Conway is like someone trying to do a Jedi mind trick after only a week of Jedi training.”

In 1984, a superstate wields extreme control over the people and persecutes any form of independent thought.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/jan/24/george-orwell-1984-sales-surge-kellyanne-conway-alternative-facts

robert68
01-25-2017, 12:00 PM
#1 now

https://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-books-Amazon/zgbs/books

Valli6
01-25-2017, 12:01 PM
I believe sales of this book went up during Obama's first term also.

A. Havnes
01-25-2017, 12:02 PM
#1 now

That was fast!

specsaregood
01-25-2017, 12:03 PM
#1 now

so trump has done more to get people reading books again than Obama did in 8 years? Last thing I'm gonna complain about is people reading, especially books such as 1984.

CPUd
01-25-2017, 12:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_zZY7lgfzo

robert68
01-25-2017, 12:16 PM
so trump has done more to get people reading books again than Obama did in 8 years? Last thing I'm gonna complain about is people reading, especially books such as 1984.

? No one is complaining.

specsaregood
01-25-2017, 12:18 PM
? No one is complaining.

?Did I say that somebody was?

Anti Federalist
01-25-2017, 12:55 PM

Was coming in here to say the exact same thing.

Obama sold more guns than any other president.

Trump has got fat women marching and people reading 1984.

Win.

I owe ya rep

dannno
01-25-2017, 01:15 PM
lol, if they are smart, after reading the book they will probably become stronger supporters of Trump.

It was the MEDIA in 1984 that was the enemy.. as they are today.. and the media is Trump's biggest adversary.

But I'll bet CPUd didn't think of that, because they are too wrapped up in their alternative facts and delusions.

CPUd
01-25-2017, 01:18 PM
lol, if they are smart, after reading the book they will probably become stronger supporters of Trump.

It was the MEDIA in 1984 that was the enemy.. as they are today.. and the media is Trump's biggest adversary.

But I'll bet CPUd didn't think of that, because they are too wrapped up in their alternative facts and delusions.

How exactly is the media his adversary? The media owners and high level execs are his friends. He wouldn't have gotten nominated or elected without them. If they were truly his adversary, they would have ignored him.

dannno
01-25-2017, 01:26 PM
How exactly is the media his adversary? The media owners and high level execs are his friends. He wouldn't have gotten nominated or elected without them. If they were truly his adversary, they would have ignored him.

So the media printed lies and distortions and and attacked Trump every day for almost 2 years now, but they are his friends. So they did it to get him elected. I guess the big question is, why did you post so much of their material on here? Did you do it because you supported Trump, too?

CPUd
01-25-2017, 01:31 PM
So the media printed lies and distortions and and attacked Trump every day for almost 2 years now, but they are his friends. So they did it to get him elected. I guess the big question is, why did you post so much of their material on here? Did you do it because you supported Trump, too?

This subforum is about political news, I post political news.

dannno
01-25-2017, 01:34 PM

No, you post a very specific subset of political news.

Anti Federalist
01-25-2017, 01:35 PM

I think it backfired on them.

I think they were propping him up as a gag during the primaries: "hey let's make Trump the nominee, that way there is no way Hillary can lose".

The universal media disdain and disappointment on election night when he did win was not fake...that was real.

CPUd
01-25-2017, 01:38 PM

I think they were propping him up as a gag during the primaries: "hey let's make Trump the nominee, that way there is no way Hillary can lose".

The universal media disdain and disappointment on election night when he did win was not fake...that was real.

I'm referring more to the execs, the ones who get to hang out with the man at Mar-a-lago. The pool reporters and some of the ones in front of the cameras still believe they are doing journalism, but they get sent out there by their bosses to get berated at Trump rallies, all the while the ratings go up. There's a reason they put a bunch of idiots on a panel to argue with each other about idiotic stuff.

Superfluous Man
01-25-2017, 01:40 PM

I think the point of the thread is that this is a good thing.

Superfluous Man
01-25-2017, 01:42 PM
I get a kick out of the blind Trump trolls who think that all the negative press Trump gets is lies.

"No. No. He didn't mock that reporter's disability. Who are you gonna believe? The straight talking Trump? Or your lyin' eyes?"

devil21
01-25-2017, 01:51 PM

Come on dannno, you should know by now that the quickest way to galvanize Republicans around a crappy candidate is for the liberal media to attack him. That's funny because at the same time they gave him as much coverage as he could ever need and even an SNL host gig.

dannno
01-25-2017, 02:00 PM
I get a kick out of the blind Trump trolls who think that all the negative press Trump gets is lies.

"No. No. He didn't mock that reporter's disability. Who are you gonna believe? The straight talking Trump? Or your lyin' eyes?"

Uh, there have already been videos posted here that prove Trump didn't mock the reporter with disabilities.. he does that all the time when he is making fun of people flailing, and none of them have been disabled. He happened to do it to a disabled guy ONCE, who he had no idea was disabled, and the press attacked him on it.

There are also like 10 or 12 hours or more worth of Stefan Molyneux videos that go into great depth of research to prove the media lies about Trump constantly.

dannno
01-25-2017, 02:02 PM
I think the point of the thread is that this is a good thing.

No, the point of the thread was to make Trump out to be some establishment dictator when the establishment has done almost everything they can to keep him out of power.

It's retarded.

afwjam
01-25-2017, 02:10 PM
Great book, however I always thought braved new world was a bit closer to the reality.

shakey1
01-25-2017, 02:12 PM
I remember when this book was required reading in school in the 70's.

http://astroguyz.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/1984-movie-bb_a11.jpg

specsaregood
01-25-2017, 02:21 PM

Don't forget the podesta email that was leaked where they specifically said to "work with our friends in the media" to promote Trump, Cruz and Carson... That would be the Clinton campaign's friends.

devil21
01-25-2017, 02:32 PM
I remember when this book was required reading in school in the 70's.

http://astroguyz.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/1984-movie-bb_a11.jpg

Look up the speech Trump just finished giving to DHS. He promised to essentially give DHS free reign to do whatever they want, all under cover of "immigration enforcement".

You may be correct but you better believe the bankers don't leave anything up to chance. Even if hypothetically they didn't get the candidate they really wanted, the other was an acceptable choice. Nothing is left to chance.

CaptainAmerica
01-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Irony. Liberal far left have no contextual reading comprehension.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-25-2017, 03:19 PM
Define "best selling."

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-25-2017, 03:26 PM
Other books in the top 30:

Publication Manual of the APA
It Can't Happen Here
Brave New World
Fahrenheit 451
Silent Spring

Sounds more like school is back in session and these are assignments.

heavenlyboy34
01-25-2017, 03:28 PM

In the novel, the State(Big Brother as its embodiment) was the enemy (depending on which character you asked, but the reader get the impression BB is the Bad Guy generally), IDK about the movie.

heavenlyboy34
01-25-2017, 03:30 PM
Other books in the top 30:

Publication Manual of the APA
It Can't Happen Here
Brave New World
Fahrenheit 451
Silent Spring

Sounds more like school is back in session and these are assignments.

And the father of the 1984-esque dystopian genre: "We".

heavenlyboy34
01-25-2017, 03:31 PM
I remember when this book was required reading in school in the 70's.http://astroguyz.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/1984-movie-bb_a11.jpg

I can see why they took it off. Animal Farm was required reading for me in the 90s and has prolly been axed.

dannno
01-25-2017, 03:34 PM
In the novel, the State(Big Brother as its embodiment) was the enemy (depending on which character you asked, but the reader get the impression BB is the Bad Guy generally), IDK about the movie.

Yes, but Big Brother and the media were joined at the hip, they were one in the same.. Donald Trump and the media are enemies. Did the fucking media in 1984 constantly lie and talk shit about Big Brother? I don't think so.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-25-2017, 03:54 PM
So the article just used the word "surge" to describe the book's sales. It does not however give any numbers to indicate that. Surged from what to what? It just gives the book's position at a single moment in time (that hour).

So they talk about so-called "alternative facts" when they did not even provide any facts to support their claim.

Fake news?

CPUd
01-25-2017, 04:42 PM
Donald Trump and the media are enemies.

What is your evidence of this? That he got nominated and elected while the networks get record high ratings?

TER
01-25-2017, 04:42 PM

You post propaganda from such fake news sites as salon and huff post.

CPUd
01-25-2017, 04:47 PM
https://i.imgur.com/XmjJU6h.jpg

nikcers
01-25-2017, 04:50 PM
Yes, but Big Brother and the media were joined at the hip, they were one in the same.. Donald Trump and the media are enemies. Did the $#@!ing media in 1984 constantly lie and talk $#@! about Big Brother? I don't think so.

If the MSM was no longer effective, or people stopped buying their bullshit, then they would get shut down completely. It's not like its monetized off of people who want to stay informed, its monetized off of people who want to keep others uninformed and the companies those people own. If you no longer feel like the MSM is doing its job, then that means they are doing their job well.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-25-2017, 05:33 PM
What is your evidence of this? That he got nominated and elected while the networks get record high ratings?

He is constantly bickering with the media. That can be quantified as evidence and interpreted that they are "enemies."

One reason Don won is because of social media and alternative media.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-25-2017, 05:36 PM
CPUd is genuine. CPUd is liberty.

heavenlyboy34
01-25-2017, 05:39 PM
Yes, but Big Brother and the media were joined at the hip, they were one in the same.. Donald Trump and the media are enemies. Did the fucking media in 1984 constantly lie and talk shit about Big Brother? I don't think so.

Nope. The way Newspeak and Doublespeak work in the storyworld of 1984 is virtually the same as the way they do in the real world(TM), tho.

heavenlyboy34
01-25-2017, 05:41 PM
You can tell when someone hasn't actually read 1984 when they post shitmemes like this^^

nikcers
01-25-2017, 05:41 PM
Nope. The way Newspeak and Doublespeak work in the storyworld of 1984 is virtually the same as the way they do in the real world(TM), tho.

Yeah doublethink is real too, the news is fake, but I believe this news.