PDA

View Full Version : Paul turns down invitation to seek Libertarian Party nomination

0zzy
12-09-2007, 10:41 PM
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/nation/12/10/1210paul.html

WASHINGTON — U.S. Rep. Ron Paul turned down a Libertarian Party invitation on Sunday that could have kept him in the 2008 presidential race even if his long-shot bid for the GOP nomination fails.

At a meeting in Charleston, S.C., the Libertarian National Committee on Sunday unanimously approved a resolution praising the Lake Jackson congressman for igniting "a renewed passion for liberty across America."

I love how the article pretty much states "that guy who can't win turned down the option to be a protest candidate after he loses in the GOP."

Midnight77
12-09-2007, 10:51 PM
I wonder if he's trying to send a strong message that he can win this thing. Either way, if he doesn't secure the nomination, I think all of us should write him in. He would be the candidate with the most write-in votes in our Nation's history.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm so anxious for IA/NH, it's driving me crazy seeing all these dismissive outsiders.

OptionsTrader
12-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Politically it is the right thing to do at this juncture, he can only win via the system and the system is Republicans and Democrats in the news and in debates and on the ballots.

He has to come across as a serious contender in the eyes of the media and the people.

rfbz
12-09-2007, 10:56 PM
I wonder if he's trying to send a strong message that he can win this thing. Either way, if he doesn't secure the nomination, I think all of us should write him in. He would be the candidate with the most write-in votes in our Nation's history.

Yeah, plus it's all about focus. If he was out telling everyone he'd end up running independent if he didn't get the nominee, he and his supporters would probably stop trying so hard to get the nominee because the independent option would be on their conscious.

justinc.1089
12-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Well isn't it still possible for him to not get the nomination and still run as a libertarian candidate anyway?

Because thats what I tend to think he would do..

It would be nice to see if the libertarian party changed to be more like Paul too on issues like borders and abortion. I think it would grow some probably.

BillyBeer
12-09-2007, 11:00 PM
The nominating convention for the Libertarian Party isnt til May. So we will cross that bridge if we get to it.

Midnight77
12-09-2007, 11:02 PM
I think all of us should leave the Republican Party if Paul doesn't get the nod. How do we beat the system? We bring down the Party and put a new one in power.

Alawn
12-09-2007, 11:04 PM
If he ran as a 3rd party he would probably lose his seat in Congress. I would much rather him stay a Republican and focus on getting reelected to congress if he doesn't get the nomination.

torchbearer
12-09-2007, 11:05 PM
:rolleyes:

cswake
12-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Politically it is the right thing to do at this juncture, he can only win via the system and the system is Republicans and Democrats in the news and in debates and on the ballots.

He has to come across as a serious contender in the eyes of the media and the people.QFT.

DRV45N05
12-09-2007, 11:12 PM
If he doesn't get the Republican Nomination, he should jump ship and run as the LP nominee. Sure, he MAY lose his seat in Congress (this isn't certain), but the long-term consequences of his run as the LP candidate for the Liberty movement will far outweigh that cost.

And I think he'll do it.

NewEnd
12-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Ron Paul is the easiest name to write in, if necessary.

Wingman
12-09-2007, 11:25 PM
It's about time the Rpublicans realise that no one wants their old neocon ways anymore.

Pick a bright candidate beacon of the future!!! RON PAUL!!

sunghoko
12-09-2007, 11:28 PM
neocons will beg and plead Ron not to run as the LP candidate and I don't think RP wants hillary to win

Ron will not run as a third party as he has said countless times. He's trying to save the republican party which has lost its way. It's our job to make them realize he's the only one who can defeat the democrats

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
12-09-2007, 11:32 PM
totally misleading headline

0zzy
12-09-2007, 11:33 PM
totally misleading headline

...how?

Qiu
12-09-2007, 11:34 PM
Can he run as a Libertarian presidential candidate and concurrently run as an incumbent Republican Congressman?

And anyways, this was a smart thing to do. It would dispel the possibility of commentators suggesting he's already given up.

0zzy
12-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Can he run as a Libertarian presidential candidate and concurrently run as an incumbent Republican Congressman?

yes

Hook
12-09-2007, 11:39 PM
The LP should have held off on that until after the clear winner was determined. Now they just made him make a statement that makes it that much harder for him to get on the LP ballot later.