PDA

View Full Version : TheBannerBomb.com - Ron Paul Banner Bomb: a Proposed Grassroots Campeign.

defcreative
12-09-2007, 10:20 PM
I would like to introduce myself to all of my fellow supporters of Ron Paul. I am a young professional freelance web developer and I came across the idea a while ago, as many others seem to be propagating now as well, to have a Ron Paul banner bomb. I feel as though there have been quite a bit of "money bombs" lately, and I am afraid that if we keep playing this card as the lifeblood for the grassroots movement that there may be a fade in excitement as the "newness" of the idea fades. Therefore, I asked myself what I could do to help.

I went ahead and secured the domain name TheBannerBomb.com, and I am considering the idea of putting together a bit of a scheme to promote a banner bomb day for the Ron Paul campaign. This of course would not be possible without the support of the grassroots individuals. I am interested in hearing what everyone thinks about this as an idea for the next large bomb for the campaign. Of course, as a programmer, web developer, and graphics designer I would be able to handle all necessary programming and web design necessary.

The idea I was considering was to have the site go live on the 18th of December in the wake of the Tea Party money bomb, using the wave of momentum to encourage newcomers to contribute to the campaign. If everything goes right, I would like to create an email pledge list similar to all of the other money bombs, except I would like to allow themselves to pledge up to 20 banners/signs to put up on the bomb day. The limit would be in order to prevent a non-supporter from putting a ridiculous pledge like 1,000+ banners to try to skew the stats.

The goal will be for us to get a total of 100,000 banners and/or signs to be bombed on the 30th of December, just in time for the early votes, and on New Years weekend when most people will have the day free.

The positives of this will be a further strengthening of Ron Paul's message of popularity to follow the main stream media's reporting on the December 16th money bomb, which if pulled off correctly can get a whole lot of new supporters. People who may not have heard of him before may get a glimpse of him in the light of the December 16th money bomb, then hopefully on the 30th if they see suddenly a lot of signs promoting him they may give in and research for themselves. If this happens we will see a whole new load of supporters.

The downside is that we will need to get the laws straight and post on the site the legality of where banners/signs are acceptable (possibly for every state), and where they are illegal. We will have to have this noted clearly on the site to avoid 100,000 banners/signs (optimistically ;) ) from being placed in inappropriate areas. We do not want to make Dr. Paul look rude through ignorant supporters posting banners and/or signs in illegal areas or on other people's private property.

That is the essence of my proposal, I am opening this idea for discussion and I would like to hear the people's opinions and ideas. If I see strong support, with your help, I will make the site happen.

defcreative
12-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Hmm, I just saw the thread about signbomb08.com.

Nonetheless still feel free to offer your input.

defcreative
12-17-2007, 03:35 AM
I am bumping this back up after the Tea Party event for individuals to re-consider.

Antonius Stone
12-17-2007, 03:40 AM
i think we should start guerrilla campaigns that don't directly scream out ron paul's name but get the word out about his chief issues.

take a look at "slappies". make about a thousand stickers that say "IRS" and "IRAQ". Slap the IRS sticker under every STOP sign in your city and slap the IRAQ sticker on every Exit sign on your Local Freeways

defcreative
12-17-2007, 03:43 AM
i think we should start guerrilla campaigns that don't directly scream out ron paul's name but get the word out about his chief issues.

take a look at "slappies". make about a thousand stickers that say "IRS" and "IRAQ". Slap the IRS sticker under every STOP sign in your city and slap the IRAQ sticker on every Exit sign on your Local Freeways

Haha, thats quite a clever idea.

theantirobot
12-17-2007, 03:56 AM
The problem I see with this idea is there is no way for us to gauge it's success.

My version of the idea is to have as many people standing on corners in as wide an area as possible with signs for Ron Paul. Then we get someone to drive around taking pictures and geotagging them. Make them all available in one place. The domain I had wanted to use was RonPaulSmartMob.org.

My idea was to be more of an ongoing thing. People would be able to go to the website and say, I'll be here at this time holding a sign. Then other people could join in around them. There would be a map and what not. It could be used to facilitate a nation wide sign waving day.

Antonius Stone
12-17-2007, 04:02 AM
does anyone know anyone with projectors? If you have a powerful projector and a mobile powersource, we could just project Ron Paul ads onto the sides of buildings, make a display for several minutes then move on to the next spot to make a display.

another thing to consider are "blitz rallies"- have a map organized with several rally points you want to hit in one night. have about 100 supporters show up to demonstrate at a rally point for 5-15 minutes then disperse and demonstrate at another rally point about 15 minutes later. you can hit maybe 5-10 rally points in one night. Add in the mobile projector to that rally and you have a suitably conspicuous display...

defcreative
12-17-2007, 04:04 AM
The problem I see with this idea is there is no way for us to gauge it's success.

My version of the idea is to have as many people standing on corners in as wide an area as possible with signs for Ron Paul. Then we get someone to drive around taking pictures and geotagging them. Make them all available in one place. The domain I had wanted to use was RonPaulSmartMob.org.

My idea was to be more of an ongoing thing. People would be able to go to the website and say, I'll be here at this time holding a sign. Then other people could join in around them. There would be a map and what not. It could be used to facilitate a nation wide sign waving day.

Interesting concept, especially because another unrelated site that I was proposing with a business partner was going to use a similar engine as that would need to use. To keep it simple, the concept was to be able to use google maps' API to show tags at certain locations and have a central database list all the specific tags and corresponding information for those locations.

That way you could output onto a google map certain times that these markers would be valid (aka, these Ron Paul groups will be standing on these corners in these streets in Southern California at 10:30 am on December 30th, 2007; click here to join.) You would be able to manipulate the locations and times in the page without requiring a refresh using a AJAX iframe or another similar method.

Someone from these groups can snap pictures of them standing at the specific corner and upload them to a mini-gallery corresponding to each spot, and they will go into a searchable database.

Is that what you are getting at? :)

defcreative
12-17-2007, 04:07 AM
The only unfortunate thing is that this would be a project that would take a few weeks at least (with my current workload in mind). So I'm not sure how useful it could be.

theantirobot
12-17-2007, 04:15 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=48587

While it's true it would take a while, it would be a revolutionary! I would really like to see a website that catalogs and documents grass roots activities. Videos and Pictures of our movement are scattered all over the internet. They don't really have the real world context of where and when. If you build it I will promote it.

defcreative
12-17-2007, 04:18 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=48587

While it's true it would take a while, it would be a revolutionary! I would really like to see a website that catalogs and documents grass roots activities. If you build it I will promote it.

That's exactly the plan.

Its such a coincidence that I was already talking about this exact thing before today. I am going to look into what will be involved. It will take a bit of my time up, but I really would like to see this happen.

I'm really for the concept, but I don't want to make any promises at this point. ;)

defcreative
12-17-2007, 04:19 AM
Muhaha, I have a feeling I'm going to be putting my "coding hat" on very soon.

I'm getting myself amped on this idea. The brainstorming has begun...