PDA

View Full Version : Hightimes Ad: FINAL poll

fortilite
12-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Ok, sorry for all the threads, most of them will go away. Here is the final poll for which high times ad to run. A new entry was added and the poorest performing one has been removed.

So now here are entries 1, 3, and 4:

Entry 1: http://www.carolrutz.com/ronpaul2008/rpdraft6.pdf

Entry 3: http://normlnj.org/non_affiliated/RonPaul_Ad_Hightimes_7125x9875.JPG

Entry 4: http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/RONPAUL-1.jpg

Geronimo
12-09-2007, 09:50 PM

Maverick
12-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Oooh, entry #4 is pretty slick-looking. I'm gonna have to go with that one.

zaffa
12-09-2007, 09:52 PM
#4 looks the most professional, though I can't help but ask why there is no choice 2.

NewEnd
Number 4... it will connect with the readers instantly.

justinc.1089
The first one, absolutely.

I don't like the second at all. The third one would be good if it didn't have the picture of a potleaf on it lol.

OKRonPaul
12-09-2007, 09:53 PM
please, that target audience already knows, and the moral majoriity doesn't want to vote for a candidate who advertised there.

Jordan
Number 4 is unreal. Definitely 4.

The revolution logo is perfect for this kind of target audience.

PMatt
I accidentally voted for 3 (hopefully this doesn't happen in the primary). Meant to vote for 4.

bgoldwater
12-09-2007, 09:54 PM
The simpler, the better.

xexkxex
12-09-2007, 09:54 PM
#4 looks like he just took a hit off the piece in his hand that is smoking and passing it to some one.

....WTF.

jake
12-09-2007, 09:55 PM
#4 isn't clear at a glance he's a Presdential candidate, I think it's important to have the American flag in there somewhere. otherwise I like #4, but for the above reason voted #1.

monotony
12-09-2007, 09:55 PM
A souped up version of #4. Something needs to be done with that text. Some words outlined or emphasized. It would help to add a bit more color for emphasis.

ClockwiseSpark
12-09-2007, 09:57 PM
The first one, absolutely.

I don't like the second at all. The third one would be good if it didn't have the picture of a potleaf on it lol.

You do realize what magazine this is going in don't you?

http://www.nodaya-net.com/stk/hightimes13-a.jpg

Nyte
12-09-2007, 09:58 PM
I voted none of the above for now.

I think they all have potential, but need to be polished a bit more.

austin356
12-09-2007, 09:59 PM
#4 is the one. It is awesome.

Soccrmastr
12-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Maybe if 4 had some more words from 1, or at least just remove "although personally opposed", you dont need to state whether he is presonally for it OR against it.

fortilite
We'll definitely polish the winner, these are just drafts. The poll is to decide which one we will focus on.

xexkxex
#4 looks like he just took a hit off the piece in his hand that is smoking and passing it to some one.

....WTF.

The media will have a field day with this.

I don't care what you guys do.....but I'm out of it.....this is just getting stupid.

I'm going to just spend more time door to door....this board is getting ridiculous.

See you all at the general....I'm out.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 10:02 PM
You do realize these are just drafts to pick the style / layout, right?

Madison
12-09-2007, 10:05 PM

....WTF.

Yeah, I almost voted for #4 until I saw that. Not cool to doctor a photo of Dr. Paul.

ClockwiseSpark
12-09-2007, 10:06 PM
I still think we need a choice with more color, something a bit more 60's motif. Potheads like colors...and shiny things. :P

fortilite
12-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Don't worry, we will not use a doctored picture of Dr. Paul with drugs in his hands, and the ad clearly states that he does not personally have any affiliation with marijuana. I think that's a pen or glasses or something, honestly.

We'll switch the picture out since it's causing controversy.

monotony
12-09-2007, 10:09 PM
The media will have a field day with this.

I don't care what you guys do.....but I'm out of it.....this is just getting stupid.

I'm going to just spend more time door to door....this board is getting ridiculous.

See you all at the general....I'm out.

Thank you for the work you are doing door to door. Just because this is not an issue that resonates with you there is no need to disparage this project.

Esor
12-09-2007, 10:12 PM
To tell you the truth, I don't like any of them. I think we need to start from scratch real quick.

RPinSEAZ
12-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Voted none of the above. #4 has some potential, but I don't think it needs to have a pot leaf on it. The layout of the other two were just horrible.

Luther
12-09-2007, 10:14 PM
please, that target audience already knows, and the moral majoriity doesn't want to vote for a candidate who advertised there.

That's not necessarily true. I know pot smokers who are leaning toward Hillary or Obama. Not all of them pay attention to politics.

Luther
12-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Maybe if 4 had some more words from 1, or at least just remove "although personally opposed", you dont need to state whether he is presonally for it OR against it.

I agree.

Instead say something like "Ron Paul believes politicians have no constitutional or moral authority to impose their personal preferences upon the people."

PRIEST
12-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Readers might just think "who cares, this guy doesn't have a chance, why bother looking into it".

I think it should be emphasized (fundraising, straw polls, flawed telephone surveys) that Ron Paul is in fact a frontrunner with a VERY good chance of winning.

dmspilot00
12-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Consider mine please!! (Sorry for plagiarizing, just reworked #2 from before)

http://www.integralinternet.com/myhightimesad.jpg

defcreative
12-09-2007, 10:25 PM
How long until this needs to be finalized, I'm a bit busy today but I am a professional graphics designer and I think I can do a much better job if it isn't too late already.

UCFGavin
12-09-2007, 10:26 PM
3 or 4

ClockwiseSpark
12-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Consider mine please!! (Sorry for plagiarizing, just reworked #2 from before)

Remove his personal views. Other than that I like it most so far.

GoRon2008
12-09-2007, 10:27 PM
hey guys... I made number 4. Honestly, I am just playing around right now, I don't think anything I made I consider 100% at all.

And lol, I didn't notice how it looks like ron is holding the leaf. Ill try something different.

Here is my last draft...

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/RONPAUL3.jpg

Im gonna maybe start over...

krott5333
12-09-2007, 10:30 PM

:rolleyes:

powertothepeople
12-09-2007, 10:30 PM
four 4 4 4 4

defcreative
12-09-2007, 10:31 PM
hey guys... I made number 4. Honestly, I am just playing around right now, I don't think anything I made I consider 100% at all.

And lol, I didn't notice how it looks like ron is holding the leaf. Ill try something different.

Here is my last draft...

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/RONPAUL3.jpg

Im gonna maybe start over...

I'd avoid using the hue/saturation to try to tie to two top images together with the brown saturation. It will not appeal to this age group very well and stronger colors will get far more attention.

But I appreciate the effort you put towards creating your draft.

cmc
12-09-2007, 10:33 PM
I hate to be negative, but an ad like this could backfire on RP later in the primaries (ie after he wins NH and people run attack ads on him).

I'm not trying to discourage you, just be careful to point out that RP wants the drug war ended for legal and practical reasons, not because he approves of drug use/abuse.

Peppy690
12-09-2007, 10:34 PM
GO for 4, but change the picture of paul....i agree with cmc ^^ to change the wording

ClockwiseSpark
I'd avoid using the hue/saturation to try to tie to two top images together with the brown saturation. It will not appeal to this age group very well and stronger colors will get far more attention.
But I appreciate the effort you put towards creating your draft.

YES! That's what I'm talking about. The ads in Hightimes are always very colorful and attention drawing.

Madison
I would also suggest not a having weed leaf in the ad. Showing that he wants to end the war on drugs is more than enough to get the message across to High Times viewers. Statistics on how much money it costs, how many people are in jail or on probation for drug offenses, etc. is also an option.

I've also never liked the use of the "rEVOLution" logo in this campaign, but that's just me.

And yes, this does have the potential to draw backlash, but I don't think we should play into that. The MSM is already gives him unfair coverage, and if he does well in Iowa and New Hampshire they will find plenty of things to attack him over, and an ad in High Times that he didn't even pay for shouldn't be a huge concern.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 10:35 PM
How long until this needs to be finalized, I'm a bit busy today but I am a professional graphics designer and I think I can do a much better job if it isn't too late already.

We need to get the final files AND proofs to them by Friday. Of course we will have to fine tune which ever ad we pick so we should pick a draft by Monday. I'd hate to miss deadline considering there are so many registration deadlines in January.

If you come up with an ad tomorrow we will compare it to #4. I think it's safe to say #4 is the winner so far.

0zzy
12-09-2007, 10:37 PM
He doesn't support legalization.

trey4sports
12-09-2007, 10:38 PM
well i love #4 but i cant get myself to believe that the moral majority of middle aged adults would ever vote for anyone whos has an ad like this in the general election its the change we need but i just cant see it happening....

Luther
12-09-2007, 10:38 PM

Legalization is not the right word. Decriminalization is the position.

Melissa
12-09-2007, 10:39 PM

Ok you guys don't get this. IT IS LEGAL. States have legalized it the fed gov comes in and they have no autority

Madison
12-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Legalization is not the right word. Decriminalization is the position.

That's not entirely accurate either. He just wants to end the federal war on drugs and let the states deal with it as they please, with no federal interference. This could be a good point to highlight.

derdy
12-09-2007, 10:40 PM

....WTF.

Yes, in front of a microphone as well. He couldn't possibly be speaking with a pen in his hand:rolleyes:

tamor
12-09-2007, 10:40 PM

fortilite
12-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Decriminalization = fines, rehab, still can't grow it commercially

Legalization = not even fines, can grow it commercially

So he wants Federal Legalization. States will still have the right to make laws against it, either criminal or lesser. But explaining that in an ad would be difficult.

GoRon2008
12-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Ok guys... I am starting over. I am taking the feedback to crate another one.

If you guys can agree on something then I have a few questions....

1. I am taking out the leaf. I still wan't to keep that picture of paul however. I will leave it black and white and just have it fit across the page. Do any of you know where I can find a big high resolution copy of that photo?

2. Below the photo I will keep the Ron paul revolution banner. I will clean it up a little too. You agree?

3. What do you guys wan't changed about the wording? I will try to pick a clearer font and sizes and colors. I will bold and color the good points but I need you guys to agree on what it should say.

Also, keep in mind I threw this together very quick. I usually end up redoing something about 5 or so times before I am happy. I am capable of better its just a draft.

Luther
12-09-2007, 10:43 PM
That's not entirely accurate either. He just wants to end the federal war on drugs and let the states deal with it as they please, with no federal interference. This could be a good point to highlight.

I was not aware that the states had passed legislation criminalizing marijuana or any drug. I know that the federal government has, in violation of the Constitution. As president, Ron Paul would have the power to terminate the federal criminalization of drugs, which is the only criminalization that I am aware of.

Troyhand
12-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Although Entry #4 has the best design, I'm not sure the pic of Paul next to the marijuana leaf pic is the best of ideas. Especially when you look at the pen Dr. Paul is holding next to the white haze in the background. It looks like he's holding a lit roach.

Plus his facial expression makes it look like he does inhale.

Luther
12-09-2007, 10:44 PM

1. I am taking out the leaf. I still wan't to keep that picture of paul however. I will leave it black and white and just have it fit across the page. Do any of you know where I can find a big high resolution copy of that photo?

2. Below the photo I will keep the Ron paul revolution banner. I will clean it up a little too. You agree?

3. What do you guys wan't changed about the wording? I will try to pick a clearer font and sizes and colors. I will bold and color the good points but I need you guys to agree on what it should say.

Also, keep in mind I threw this together very quick. I usually end up redoing something about 5 or so times before I am happy. I am capable of better its just a draft.

Maybe add something about the hundreds of thousands of people in prison for non-violent victimless crimes.

Melissa
12-09-2007, 10:47 PM
And I would really put in there that it is Legal in some states and the Fed gov has no right to come in See reason.tv I think it is Drew Carey did a great story about it

GoRon2008
12-09-2007, 10:49 PM
oh... also...

what are the demensions it needs to be? 8x11?

Madison
12-09-2007, 10:50 PM
I was not aware that the states had passed legislation criminalizing marijuana or any drug. I know that the federal government has, in violation of the Constitution. As president, Ron Paul would have the power to terminate the federal criminalization of drugs, which is the only criminalization that I am aware of.

Yes, many states, counties and cities have laws and ordinances criminalizing marijuana, and those would not be affected by a Ron Paul presidency.

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=4516

NewEnd
12-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Although Entry #4 has the best design, I'm not sure the pic of Paul next to the marijuana leaf pic is the best of ideas. Especially when you look at the pen Dr. Paul is holding next to the white haze in the background. It looks like he's holding a lit roach.

Plus his facial expression makes it look like he does inhale.

That was the best part about it... \

readers would look at it and go... whooa auh huh huh... I thought that was a pipe.

Madison
12-09-2007, 10:54 PM

Check out ronpaulpictures.com - I like this one in particular: http://www.flickr.com/photos/12271085@N08/1245035094 (second choice would be: http://www.flickr.com/photos/12271085@N08/1244174159)

Personally I don't like the revolution banner, but I very well may be in the minority on that.

I think one fact that should be highlighted is that RP wants to end the war on drugs, not that he supports legalization or decriminalization because that is not his position. Other than that a brief summary of his voting record is good.

Esor
12-09-2007, 11:02 PM
What about something like this? I think it is better then the ads up there, but that could just be because I am bias towards it. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/2441/ronpaulcopysr4.jpg
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/2441/ronpaulcopysr4.jpg

Melissa
12-09-2007, 11:04 PM
I like that one Esor

StumbleBum7
12-09-2007, 11:05 PM
id still like the leaf on it somewhere, maybe in the backround as a type of watermark bigggg

Melissa
12-09-2007, 11:06 PM
I agree with leaf too. lol

Esor
12-09-2007, 11:08 PM
id still like the leaf on it somewhere, maybe in the backround as a type of watermark bigggg

Yeah, I like the leaf too but I don't think it matters much. The watermark idea isn't bad.

RON PAUL 4409
12-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Well it looks like we have a infiltrater. = Fortilite

INFILTRATE:
1. enter organization to spy on it: to become part of an organization, or enter a place, surreptitiously in order to gather information or influence events, or send agents to do this
Activists were infiltrated into local party organizations.

2. enter enemy territory secretly: to cross into enemy territory without the enemy's knowledge, or send somebody into enemy territory in this way
infiltrate troops behind enemy lines

Fortilite, why would you be sponsoring an ad that targets people that 9 times out of ten already know about Ron Paul. What a waste of money, time, and resources!

If you want to bring this up in a general election where you have more time to explain the position one one one that's different but this is an obvious plan to attack Paul. Nice hit piece though....this is a total sham and you should be buried somewhere!

InRonWeTrust
12-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Number 4, but take out the part about him personally opposing weed. Stick to policy only, not his personal opinions.

yongrel
12-09-2007, 11:23 PM
4, by a mile

yongrel
12-09-2007, 11:25 PM
RON PAUL 4409,

I'd call that an overreaction

Melissa
12-09-2007, 11:26 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]INFILTRATE:
1. enter organization to spy on it: to become part of an organization, or enter a place, surreptitiously in order to gather information or influence events, or send

Fortilite, why would you be sponsoring an ad that targets people that 9 times out of ten already know about Ron Paul. What a waste of money, time, and resources!

If you want to bring this up in a general election where you have more time to explain the position one one one that's different but this is an obvious plan to attack Paul. Nice hit piece though....this is a total sham and you should be buried somewhere!

Blah Blah Blah

Wow and they think others do the conspiracy theories be gone robocop we have this under control. This is not a bad demographic and again like other ideas go find a thread that you can be productive on

RON PAUL 4409
12-09-2007, 11:26 PM

INFILTRATE:
1. enter organization to spy on it: to become part of an organization, or enter a place, surreptitiously in order to gather information or influence events, or send agents to do this

If you want to bring this up in a general election where you have more time to explain the position one one one that's different but this is an obvious plan to attack Paul right around the primaries. Nice hit piece though...this is a total sham and you should be buried somewhere for promoting it!

fortilite
12-09-2007, 11:27 PM

INFILTRATE:

2. enter enemy territory secretly: to cross into enemy territory without the enemy's knowledge, or send somebody into enemy territory in this way

I assume your post is a joke. :D

Melissa
12-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Be gone you had to post it every where gosh this sucks go find some other way to promote him leave us be

jgmaynard
Number 2. No wait. That's not there. Number 4. :)

JM

Esor

INFILTRATE:

Nice hit piece though....this is a total sham and you should be buried somewhere!

Alright, man. Totally unnecessary. First off, this is a grassroots effort. If a person or people want to commit to an idea they can and should. Secondly, I've grown up around marijuana. Most everyone I know smokes marijuana and I can certainly assure you that 9 out of 10 people in the marijuana community DO NOT know who Ron Paul is. I would be suprised if 1 out of 10 pot-smokers did. It is a largely untapped demograph that no mainstream candidate has been able to appeal to.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Plus it's a call to action, even those that know about him might be inspired to action by seeing ads targeted directly to them.

NewEnd
12-09-2007, 11:30 PM
I was thinking these forums were getting too quiet. A nice flame war about a High Times ad is coming, me thinks.

RON PAUL 4409
12-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Well it looks like we have a infiltrater(s). = Fortilite - Melissa

Why would we be sponsoring an ad that targets people that 9 times out of 10 already know about Ron Paul. What a waste of money, time, and resources!

If you want to bring this up in a general election where you have more time to explain the position one one one that's different but this is an obvious plan to attack Paul right around the primaries. Nice hit piece though...this is a total sham and you should be buried somewhere for promoting it!

fortilite
12-09-2007, 11:31 PM
I was thinking these forums were getting too quiet. A nice flame war about a High Times ad is coming, me thinks.

Don't worry, I'm not about to feed a troll. :cool: Just gotta pop on my cartoon shades and I'm calm.

NewEnd
12-09-2007, 11:31 PM
enough

RON PAUL 4409
12-09-2007, 11:32 PM
LOL esor.......lol whatever you say!

RON PAUL 4409
12-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Fortilite YOU ARE the TROLL.....A paid TROLL

yongrel
12-09-2007, 11:34 PM
Well it looks like we have a infiltrater(s). = Fortilite - Melissa

Why would we be sponsoring an ad that targets people that 9 times out of 10 already know about Ron Paul. What a waste of money, time, and resources!

Go drink your kool-aid in the corner

Esor
Anyways, back on subject. Fortilite, I think it is a good idea. The thing that got me most about the three choices is that none of them, besides maybe #4, we that interesting. They were... boring really. Add color, add pictures and highlight key words and it should be fine :)

Revolution9

First..let's turn your volume down and get rid of the theatrical lighting. Well it looks like we have an anal retentive twit who shakes in his boots at marijuana.. What a clown. Seems to me you could use a puff or two and some tangential vectorizing of the thought processes. Probably make you give up whatever it is that makes you so dang paranoid. What prescription drugs do you take?

Randy

Melissa
12-09-2007, 11:35 PM
OMG now my name is in this too funny I am the one standing right by the sign and I am my meetup organizer begone Ron Paul 4409 you are getting out of hand

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/412/photos/?photoAlbumId=180279&photoId=2641359

Antonius Stone
12-09-2007, 11:35 PM
hey, how long do we have to submit this?

Because I just got back from work and I wanted some time to finish making my entry.

ALSO: don't you think it would be a good idea to include in the ad a URL that could direct them to Paul's interview with NORML (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8t7jqis2Mc)

Revolution9
12-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Fortilite YOU ARE the TROLL.....A paid TROLL

You are a moron.. an unpaid and probably prescription drug addled moron. <-since you like casting aspersions about..can you handle them cast at you.

HTH
Randy

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
12-09-2007, 11:37 PM

I agree totally with that statement. I truly admire the effort but I think in the long run that this will come back to smack us in the face when we make it past the early primaries.

Cowlesy
Come on guys, let's cool it down and just keep it halfway respectful

fortilite
Anyways, back on subject. Fortilite, I think it is a good idea. The thing that got me most about the three choices is that none of them, besides maybe #4, we that interesting. They were... boring really. Add color, add pictures and highlight key words and it should be fine :)

The maker of #4 is modifying it based on some suggestions contained in this thread, I think he'll post what he comes up with tomorrow. Also we have a professional who is going to post an alternate tomorrow so we can choose between them. I'm not worried, I think either will be nice, which ever one we go with.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 11:40 PM
hey, how long do we have to submit this?

Because I just got back from work and I wanted some time to finish making my entry.

ALSO: don't you think it would be a good idea to include in the ad a URL that could direct them to Paul's interview with NORML (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8t7jqis2Mc)

Well this is a print ad, you tube video urls aren't that pretty. If you want to post a draft of yours tomorrow go ahead. We should choose one by days end but I think it's worth it to throw as many ideas as possible on the table before then.

LOL, guess we'll have a 3rd poll.

Melissa
12-09-2007, 11:41 PM
I agree totally with that statement. I truly admire the effort but I think in the long run that this will come back to smack us in the face when we make it past the early primaries.

Again thanks for the advice but it is legal in some states so not sure who you guys think we are going to make mad. If it is the Religious Right - Thought we had lost them any way so not too worried about them

GoRon2008
12-09-2007, 11:43 PM
ok... this is what i have so far...

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/test1.jpg

So far so good?!?

Esor
12-09-2007, 11:43 PM

I can see how it would come back to haunt us, but I'm not scared by that. I am telling you, the marijuana community is HUGE and I am positive that only a small percentage know about Ron Paul.

We are fighting for name recognition right now. Placing a grassroots ad in a marijuana magazine is no different than placing an ad in a gun magazine, in my eyes. I do not see the difference.

If and when the media does try to smear this in our faces, I will just smile. We need coverage some way. If they arn't going to give us positive coverage, they might as well give us negative. Any publicity is good publicity.

Melissa
12-09-2007, 11:44 PM
They wanted the leaf but not with that pic cause of the glasses

fortilite
12-09-2007, 11:45 PM
I doubt marijuana prohibitionists will be reading Hightimes. And the MSM isn't gonna write an article about a high times ad, especially if it's a classy ad which we will be doing. There is nothing controversial about #4 besides some people thinking it looks like he is holding a pipe, and that picture is getting replaced.

Think if it this way, Ron Paul did 10 minutes of an interview with John Stossel on the subject of drugs and prostitution. If the MSM didn't report on that, why would they make a big deal about a $3600 GRASSROOTS ad in Hightimes? And we shouldn't be afraid or ashamed of advocating liberty. The nanny staters win if they scare us into a corner.

Revolution9
12-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by OKRonPaul

The Moral Majority.. Ralph Reed..long since down the tubes with a huge corruption scandal and connected to Abramoff. hahahaha! Having THEM associated with THIS campaign will come back to bite us in the ass. get your facts together and analyzed properly before submitting what ends up as fallacy as a fact. The Moral Majority is neither moral nor a majority. It is a cell for neocon propaganda and the gutting of the true Christian movements here in America. Intolerance and hate are NOT Christian virtues.

HTH
Randy

Antonius Stone
12-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Well this is a print ad, you tube video urls aren't that pretty. If you want to post a draft of yours tomorrow go ahead. We should choose one by days end but I think it's worth it to throw as many ideas as possible on the table before then.

LOL, guess we'll have a 3rd poll.

yeah, but we can always find a way to Host the NORML interview on a better site (say the site of the PAC we've established to set up this ad?) and if people can go to this site to listen to what RP has to say, then it would completely flesh out and explain his position and it addresses the reservations that others in this thread have had.

furthermore, I agree with Esor in saying that the Marijuana-smoking community is huge and for the most part politically inactive. Once they see a presidential candidate with this Giant Carrot on a Stick for them... they'll turn out. believe me

Isupportliberty
12-09-2007, 11:50 PM
I like ad #4, but I'm not a big fan of the statement "Although opposed to marijuana on a personal level". I do not think it is necessary to include that line because if you are targeting marijuana smokers (which you are if you are placing this ad in high times) then that statement could actually turn people off.

Melissa
12-09-2007, 11:54 PM
I like ad #4, but I'm not a big fan of the statement "Although opposed to marijuana on a personal level". I do not think it is necessary to include that line because if you are targeting marijuana smokers (which you are if you are placing this ad in high times) then that statement could actually turn people off.

I agree It is legal and I can't remember where at the sec but he has talked about it being used based on his opinions from being a doctor that it does have uses for cancer and AIDS.

Birdlady
12-09-2007, 11:54 PM
If a professional graphic designer can pitch in here, that would be great. No offense to some of you, but you just don't quite get the idea of an ad. I voted for #4 but it needs a lot of work to be final.

For starters, the colors are bad. You need to spice it up a little bit.
Also we need to add in that he raised 4.3 million in one day. That will let ppl know he is the real deal and not some 2 tier loser. This could be a small colored box on the right stating it.

Some of the bullets aren't precise enough. "Believes THAT the Federal Government does not have the Constitutional right to regulate drugs"

You should change it to,
"Believes the Federal Government has no Constitutional authority to regulate drugs"

Lose all the exclamation points.

That's all I can think of right now. It's bedtime for me though.

InRonWeTrust
12-09-2007, 11:58 PM
And how about just a very clear and bold statement somewhere prominent in the ad:

"Ron Paul wants to Legalize Weed."

That's the main point of the ad, after all.

GoRon2008
12-09-2007, 11:59 PM
the latest...

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/test2.jpg

Im gonna wait to put the text in till you guys agree...

Melissa
12-10-2007, 12:04 AM
And how about just a very clear and bold statement somewhere prominent in the ad:

"Ron Paul wants to Legalize Weed."

That's the main point of the ad, after all.

Good but what about something to the effect of "Ron Paul supports States That have Legal Marijuana Laws"

Not as catchy but maybe can work on it. So the ones that don't want his personal views put in it are ok but we tell what his presidential and legal views are

Cowlesy
12-10-2007, 12:04 AM
Maybe that Marijuana PAC out of D.C. could help you guys if you contacted them? I think it is NORML?

Antonius Stone
12-10-2007, 12:05 AM
also I think its important to note that even if RP is elected, the legalization of weed wouldn't happen right away- that would still be up to congress to decide.

HOWEVER, what would happen off the bat is that RP would end the DEA and Federal Government Raids on Medicinal Marijuana Clinics.
As someone that knows the Stoner community fairly well, i think that statement would tide over greatly.

Melissa
12-10-2007, 12:07 AM
also I think its important to note that even if RP is elected, the legalization of weed wouldn't happen right away- that would still be up to congress to decide.

HOWEVER, what would happen off the bat is that RP would end the DEA and Federal Government Raids on Medicinal Marijuana Clinics.
As someone that knows the Stoner community fairly well, i think that statement would tide over greatly.

So close yes the 2nd part is correct but not the part about congress-not congress's job at all --states issue

wisconsinite
12-10-2007, 12:08 AM
#4 looks the nicest.

I say keep the pot leaf since anyone who reads High Times is obviously not offended by it.

People who would be offended would never bother picking up a High Times in the first place.

Antonius Stone
12-10-2007, 12:09 AM
So close yes the 2nd part is correct but not the part about congress-not congress's job at all --states issue

yeah, but until the federal law is repealed by congress or declared unconstitutional by the supreme court, its not going to change...

Esor
12-10-2007, 12:09 AM
the latest...

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/test2.jpg

Im gonna wait to put the text in till you guys agree...

I like it except for the red waterspots. It seems to much like blood.

gornandez@yahoo.com
12-10-2007, 12:11 AM
seen the latest... if i could dream id say.... make "help ron ... " green! unless more colors are more expensive. also i liked that graphic that had an X over 'drug war' maybe photoshop that into ron's hand :) but that might be alot of work, and I'm not about to do it ... anyway,
remember to mention "PRESIDENT" and some of our successes
Looks great! have fun, good luck ~

RON PAUL 4409
12-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Do you beleive an ad rumored to be placed in HighTimes Magazine that claims Ron Paul wants to fully legalize EVERY drug would be helpful or harmful to his campaign in the coming days leading up to the primaries?

P.S. If you don't believe it claims every please go take a look at the entries submitted. They claim EVERY or atleast that will be the impression!
Below is one of the entries. looks like a hit piece to me
http://normlnj.org/non_affiliated/RonPaul_Ad_Hightimes_7125x9875.JPG

CurtisLow
12-10-2007, 12:27 AM
I pick 4. But I hope you don't mind, I cleaned RP up. Took the glasses out out his hand and trimmed his hair.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9655/ronpaul2vx4.jpg

I think it should also say that any legalize drug would be treated like the way we treat alcohol. It would only be available for adults.

dmspilot00
12-10-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm going to post this again because it ended up on the third page and I don't think many people saw it.

I reworked the original #2 (I dunno who made it, sorry for plagiarizing) and came up with this. Remember at this stage we are just picking the visual layout.

Melissa
12-10-2007, 12:34 AM
not bad but make sure it says what office he is running for some where in it

Esor
12-10-2007, 12:41 AM
I like it! That will catch attention.

Man from La Mancha
12-10-2007, 12:42 AM
Do you beleive an ad rumored to be placed in HighTimes Magazine that claims Ron Paul wants to fully legalize EVERY drug would be helpful or harmful to his campaign in the coming days leading up to the primaries?
P.S. If you don't believe it claims every please go take a look at the entries submitted. They claim EVERY or atleast that will be the impression!
Below is one of the entries. looks like a hit piece to me!
http://normlnj.org/non_affiliated/RonPaul_Ad_Hightimes_7125x9875.JPG

He said war on drugs, which jails people for medical problems, you implied the rest. All drugs including pharmaceuticals and alternate medicine should be my frigging choice.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8946/drug00002mk4.jpg
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2154/drug00003ff3.jpg
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/6271/drug00004xn4.jpg

Man from La Mancha
12-10-2007, 12:44 AM
I pick 4. But I hope you don't mind, I cleaned RP up. Took the glasses out out his hand and trimmed his hair.
I think it should also say that any legalize drug would be treated like the way we treat alcohol. It would only be available for adults.

Nice

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 12:47 AM
ok... Latest...

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/test4.jpg

Ok, I don't want to waste too much of my time for something that might not go anywhere. Let me know if I can do anything else.

Madison
12-10-2007, 12:48 AM
ok... Latest...

Ok, I don't want to waste too much of my time for something that might not go anywhere. Let me know if I can do anything else.

Again, the last bullet point is completely untrue.

JoshLowry
12-10-2007, 12:49 AM
Someone already designed some nice flyers that you could probably use for the ad.

Here is the link:

http://x020.uploaderx.net/x/rp4.gif

The hi-res art you may want to use for the ad is available here:

http://www.v0dka.com/ronpaul/RPorangeprimary.jpg
http://www.v0dka.com/ronpaul/RPorange.jpg
http://www.v0dka.com/ronpaul/RPgreen.jpg

You can also use the green side if you want to make a double sided flyer.

Melissa
12-10-2007, 12:50 AM
Again, the last bullet point is completely untrue.

If you are taking about the decriminalization and legalization line go watch the 20/20 interview it clears up what he wants and yes he wants both so that line should stay

Madison
12-10-2007, 12:52 AM
If you are taking about the decriminalization and legalization line go watch the 20/20 interview it clears up what he wants and yes he wants both so that line should stay

That may be his personal opinion, but he has clearly stated he would not do anything to state laws. That means that marijuana will still be illegal in all the states/cities it is illegal in right now. It will also not change decriminalized areas to fully legal areas. This is the core of his position, that he supports states rights.

Melissa
12-10-2007, 12:55 AM
That may be his personal opinion, but he has clearly stated he would not do anything to state laws. That means that marijuana will still be illegal in all the states/cities it is illegal in right now. It will also not change decriminalized areas to fully legal areas. This is the core of his position, that he supports states rights.

Ok now I can agree with this but still say that it confirms last bullet point is ok since it would only be a opinion

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 12:56 AM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/test5.jpg

Last bullet deleted

Energy
12-10-2007, 12:56 AM
How about a link to videos? RonPaulIsHope.com is good.
A lot of people are sold on RP when they watch and hear him. I was.

Madison
12-10-2007, 01:00 AM
Nice job, I think it is good as is.

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 01:07 AM
another... lol

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/test6.jpg

IowaSupport
12-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Four, and please post the finalized version - I'd love to throw this up around my campus. Rumor has it a few of the kids around here smoke.

InRonWeTrust
12-10-2007, 01:10 AM
Dude, just come right out and say, "Ron Paul is for the Legalization of Weed"

That is the single most important point in the ad to make. Why are you dancing around it??

Man from La Mancha
12-10-2007, 01:10 AM
Four, and please post the finalized version - I'd love to throw this up around my campus. Rumor has it a few of the kids around here smoke.
LOL:D:D

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 01:13 AM
Dude, just come right out and say, "Ron Paul is for the Legalization of Weed"

That is the single most important point in the ad to make. Why are you dancing around it??

I didn't write what it says... I just designed it.

It also seems like nobody can agree on anything. Sounds like the blimp.

InRonWeTrust
12-10-2007, 01:14 AM
Yeah, these would be great fliers to put on cars outside of bars and stuff at night. ;)

Antonius Stone
12-10-2007, 01:15 AM
this is the first version of my entry to the ad competition. note that NOTHING on this is complete, and the final version will probably look a lot different (ie: BETTER). My main reason for posting it in its state right now is to see what you guys think of the main concept behind it

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/AntoniusStone/ConstitutionAddraft1.jpg

InRonWeTrust
12-10-2007, 01:15 AM
I didn't write what it says... I just designed it.

It also seems like nobody can agree on anything. Sounds like the blimp.

Please just place the words "Ron Paul is for the Legalization of Marijuana" somewhere visible on there... it's the point of the whole ad.

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 01:21 AM
Please just place the words "Ron Paul is for the Legalization of Marijuana" somewhere visible on there... it's the point of the whole ad.

Well, I will wait for the person that is in charge of all of this (is there anybody?) to let me know what it should say for the final version.

Just let me know if I need to continue this project.

Esor
12-10-2007, 01:26 AM
Well, I will wait for the person that is in charge of all of this (is there anybody?) to let me know what it should say for the final version.

Just let me know if I need to continue this project.

I think it is GREAT! Continue with the project please!

CurtisLow
12-10-2007, 01:44 AM
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/4735/ronpaul2zn2.jpg

RON PAUL 4409
12-10-2007, 02:03 AM
Remember the Media is rigged and they are begging for a hit piece to destroy Paul especially a hit piece that takes a lot of explaining.

See it's easy for the media to accuse Paul of supporting drug additcs.
It's more difficult for him to defend this issue in a sound bite to uninformed people.

The ad could lead to problems because:
1. Primary voters tend to be old and probably don't smoke pot....just a hunch.
2. Republicans voters lean more conservative when it comes to drugs.
3. Old people scare easily...... especially when drugs and crime are presented.
4. Smokers are fully aware who Ron Paul is and if they don't they live in a closet. Why waste the money on this ad? Who are you actually trying to target?

This is just my opinion but it's not a good ad to be placed around the primaries and almost seems planned to do just that. Destroy his credability with sound bites.

Good luck with the ad but I would advise to keep it for a general election where he would have time to explain his position......not a week before a primary!

Jaykzo
12-10-2007, 02:18 AM
The ad could lead to problems because:
1. Primary voters tend to be old and probably don't smoke pot....just a hunch.
2. Republicans voters lean more conservative when it comes to drugs.
3. Old people scare easily...... especially when drugs and crime are presented.
4. Smokers are fully aware who Ron Paul is and if they don't they live in a closet. Why waste the money on this ad? Who are you actually trying to target?

This is just my opinion but it's not a good ad to be placed around the primaries and almost seems planned to do just that. Destroy his credability with sound bites.

Good luck with the ad but I would advise to keep it for a general election where he would have time to explain his position......not a week before a primary!

1) I've smoked pot with many many old people, well over the age of 60, most of whom are politically active.

2) True conservatives hate the war on drugs for its outrageous cost and infringement on civil liberties.

3) You're 100% right

4) I'm 21, almost all of my group (and extended group) of friends smokes weed. It still surprises me that someone that I haven't seen for a while will visit, see my bumper sticker, and ask "Who the hell is Ron Paul?"

I say it's a good ad, without that much risk. It should stress the idea of GETTING OUT AND VOTING, something that many potheads wouldn't be that great at.

LibertyEagle
12-10-2007, 02:40 AM
Questions for you guys.

1. Do the people who read this magazine already know Paul is against the federal War on Drugs?

2. Will they be motivated enough to get off the couch and go vote in the primary?

------------------

I am against doing this ad, because I think it will backfire on us badly with Republicans. However, if you go forward with this anyway, please include WHY Paul takes the stances he takes and also please emphasize that what Paul is talking about is FEDERAL laws, not all laws in general. In other words, states would have the right to do what they chose to do with regard to drugs.

LibertyEagle
12-10-2007, 02:41 AM
... I would advise to keep it for a general election where he would have time to explain his position......not a week before a primary!

+1

literatim
12-10-2007, 02:51 AM
The entire thing is misleading because most States would still keep it illegal. Also, the benefits of reaching such a small demographic, who likely will not vote to begin with, does not outweigh the damage it would do if the MSM shows the ad on TV.

devil21
12-10-2007, 03:18 AM
They are all terrible for HT readers. I voted the 3rd just because it actually shows a pot leaf.

EDIT: Its great to see people who dont smoke pot, dont read HT and dont have a fuckin clue what HT readers will respond to chiming in on how to reach HT readers. </sarc>

Revolution9
12-10-2007, 03:27 AM
Questions for you guys.

1. Do the people who read this magazine already know Paul is against the federal War on Drugs?

2. Will they be motivated enough to get off the couch and go vote in the primary?

------------------

I am against doing this ad, because I think it will backfire on us badly with Republicans. However, if you go forward with this anyway, please include WHY Paul takes the stances he takes and also please emphasize that what Paul is talking about is FEDERAL laws, not all laws in general. In other words, states would have the right to do what they chose to do with regard to drugs.

I owned the very first 25 issues of High Times for about 10 years till they got stolen.. The motivation issue is a red herring. Who took to the streets in the 60's? Who stood up to the WTO? Who recorded all that incredible rock music? Who created a chain of medical marijuana outlets at risk of incarceration? Regardless of reasons for motivation, these people were up off their asses doing stuff they thought needed doing because the rest of America would NOT get up off their couch.

Did you know that the most advanced military hospitals use THC to stop the brain's neural networks from oxidizing during long brain surgery operations? Did you know that scientists at the U of Calgary developed an analog of THC that is 100 times more psychotropic and when fed to mice and then brainscanning them they found massive growth of dendrite branches in the brain. Not just filaments..trees! Did you know all animals dow to the fruit fly have THC receptor sites and it is produced in the body as anadamine? Did you know Jefferson grew female seedless hemp and remarked on its qualities to quicken the thought.. I assume he was not a couch potato either and the fact he mentions the sex and that it is female and seedless one can only draw the conclusion it was grown for its medicinal and recreational properties.

I know you like to worry about stuff. This is alright. Republicans have someone they are close to that smokes. I guarantee it. The best thing to do is educate, not eradicate. hemp would be a real boost for the economy and ecology of this country. The tourist dollars alone from a state that had legal recreational hemp would prompt the other Governors to take a serious look, ad even the most psuedo-conservative hard core bible banging meatheaded warmonger likes to see local cash flowing as well as good times and good music.

Best Regards
Randy

LibertyEagle
12-10-2007, 03:35 AM
Hey Randy,

I agree with stopping the federal War on Drugs, but not just so people can go party, although that is their right if they so choose. I am against the WOD because it is downright stupid, costs a lot of money and in the end, does very little to stop drugs coming into this country. I have a few more reasons too, but I won't go into them here.

No, I didn't know some of that stuff you posted. Thanks for posting it. Very interesting.

It wasn't intended to be a red herring, Randy. Let me just say that I remember. ;)

devil21
12-10-2007, 03:41 AM
Who cares why you, me, or him are against the WoD? We are and reaching others that are too is never a bad thing. Why are we debating the same end result?

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 04:07 AM
hey guys, this is what I would put if it was up to me....

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/test7.jpg

Of course, Its just a rough draft.

tsetsefly
12-10-2007, 04:13 AM
Please Add In The Ad To Register Republican To Vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There Is No Mention That He Is Republican????

noztnac
12-10-2007, 04:17 AM
Maybe Tommy Chong for a celebrity endorsement.

Joking!

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 04:21 AM
here is a version with the "scary" pot leaf on it....

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/test8.jpg

LibertyEagle
12-10-2007, 04:31 AM
Who cares why you, me, or him are against the WoD? We are and reaching others that are too is never a bad thing. Why are we debating the same end result?

Oh really? How many Republicans have you run into that will be encouraged to join Ron Paul's camp when they are shown an ad that seems to imply that he promotes drug use? :rolleyes:

I am just asking that we please not misrepresent Paul's stance on this.

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 04:35 AM
Oh really? How many Republicans have you run into that will be encouraged to join Ron Paul's camp when they are shown an ad that seems to imply that he promotes drug use? :rolleyes:

How does my add above imply Ron supports drug ABUSE? He promotes drug use for medical purposes and doesn't think the federal government has a constitutional right to stop it.

This IS what he believes. If your ashamed of it, I don't know what to tell you. There is a youtube video out of him talking about this issue! Ill try to find it.

Drknows
12-10-2007, 04:36 AM
hey guys, this is what I would put if it was up to me....

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/test7.jpg

Of course, Its just a rough draft.

Oh i like this one too.

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 04:37 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3970744

I suggest to everyone who thinks this is a bad idea to watch the video above.

brumans
12-10-2007, 04:37 AM
"Find out why YOU may want to vote this time!"

That's a terrible line. It's like you're looking down on the person.

But anyways, I don't think any of the above ads are very good. Especially compared to what we've come up with in the past.

If I had to chose I would chose #4, but I would also add, as someone noted, that he is Republican.

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 04:44 AM
"Find out why YOU may want to vote this time!"

That's a terrible line. It's like you're looking down on the person.

But anyways, I don't think any of the above ads are very good. Especially compared to what we've come up with in the past.

If I had to chose I would chose #4, but I would also add, as someone noted, that he is Republican.

terrible?

Just like "got milk" or "just do it".

Remember, this is High Times. The average reader is going to turn the page the momment they realize they are reading a presidential add.

The purpose it to get them curious enough to type Rons name into address box.

I think such an add will do the trick. But, thats my opinion.

For purposes of helping us come up with something, would you send me to a link of adds you think are good so I may get some ideas? Thanks.

brumans
12-10-2007, 04:52 AM
An ad that signifies his position on the war on drugs/marijuana, lets the reader know that he is a major candidate and HAS a chance to win (maybe include that he is projected to be the #1 republican fundraiser or something, or that he's won most of the straw polls?), and also a picture of him and note that he is a Republican somewhere in the ad. Make it colorful, easy to look at.

Why is there no color besides RED in ANY of the ads (besides #1 that has his picture in it).

I know a lot of people here are good at photoshop... the photo mosiac ad and the USA Today ad come to mind...

DarkLaw
12-10-2007, 04:59 AM
to all the nay sayers -
Can it be worse than having STRIPPERS and PROSTITUTES
show their support and endorse RP?

I mean c'mon.

Publicity is publicity.
I hope it DOES cause a media blitz.
That way he can explain his points and stance
and get even more air time. He speaks so well
that he would pwn anyone wanting to bother smearing him
on national television.

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 05:06 AM
An ad that signifies his position on the war on drugs/marijuana, lets the reader know that he is a major candidate and HAS a chance to win (maybe include that he is projected to be the #1 republican fundraiser or something, or that he's won most of the straw polls?), and also a picture of him and note that he is a Republican somewhere in the ad. Make it colorful, easy to look at.

Why is there no color besides RED in ANY of the ads (besides #1 that has his picture in it).

I know a lot of people here are good at photoshop... the photo mosiac ad and the USA Today ad come to mind...

Do you really think a add like this would benefit from mundane facts? (mundane to the average reader).

I will put in that he is a republican next to his name after his quote.

Most of my work has a simple color theme. I rarely use more that 3 or 4 colors in something. Anymore than that and it looks cheesy in my opinion. Actually, "not cool" would be a better term in this case.

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 05:21 AM
ok guys, Im trying to take opinions and base the add off of that.

Here is the latest....

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/test9.jpg

Notice I have some room to squeeze something in.

Antonius Stone
12-10-2007, 05:33 AM
here is a version with the "scary" pot leaf on it....

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/test8.jpg

I think that "I would Absolutely never use the federal government to force the law on anyone using marijuana" would be a far more effective quote

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 06:01 AM
ok guys, forgive me, I am bored at work. I fixed the color a little.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/test9-1.jpg

and one with the new quote but nothing else. This is the one I like so far but Its obviously missing some info....

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/test10.jpg

James R
12-10-2007, 06:09 AM
Ok, sorry for all the threads, most of them will go away. Here is the final poll for which high times ad to run. A new entry was added and the poorest performing one has been removed.

So now here are entries 1, 3, and 4:

Entry 1: http://www.carolrutz.com/ronpaul2008/rpdraft6.pdf

Entry 3: http://normlnj.org/non_affiliated/RonPaul_Ad_Hightimes_7125x9875.JPG

Entry 4: http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/RONPAUL-1.jpg

Please make it extremely obvious that ad was not placed by the official campaign!!!

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 06:12 AM
ok... last one for the night....

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/test11.jpg

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 07:05 AM
shameless bump

Birdlady
12-10-2007, 10:23 AM
ok... Latest...

Here is my critique.

Too much red. Red is a very hard color to read. Change the bullets to another color such as blue.

That one bullet is still too lengthy.
Change "Believes that the federal government does not have the constitution right to regulate drugs" to this shorter and more precise phrase.
"Believes the Federal Government has no Constitutional authority to regulate drugs"

Once you shorten that one bullet you should be able to put a small gray box that says "Grassroot supporters raised 4.3 Million Dollars in 24 hours"

Get rid of the flag under the picture or make it more blended into his picture. It looks goofy because the edge is too harsh.

Then at the bottom have a gray box the entire length with your nice little FEC disclaimer.

Once again lose the !!!!!!'s on the bulleted text.

If you do all that I think it will be much better.

HankScorpio
12-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Use a spell checker before publishing anything. Reading "Wan't" and "Get ride of the drug crime" just irritates me.

Bacon
12-10-2007, 10:37 AM
I started working on an ad last night that looks pretty good, I'll upload it this afternoon. Please don't submit the final ad until at least tomorrow to give some more people a chance to submit an entry.

fortilite
12-10-2007, 10:38 AM
We gotta decide today. I'll make another poll later today, but we really should decide today. It would really really suck to miss the deadline.

Revolution9
12-10-2007, 10:40 AM

Hpw many independents and never voted are going to/. eff the repummellicans that cannot evolve past their inculcation by the neocons and wish to lay scorn upon fellow Americans for not choosing alcohol and its problems as a choice of inebriant..which is REALLY the issue here.

Randy

fortilite
12-10-2007, 10:44 AM
I had wanted to have a draft picked before posting the chip-in, but since we are getting so many drafts submitted we will need to start the chip in early:

http://ronpaulht.chipin.com/hightimes-full-page-ron-paul-ad

This is my first chip-in so let me know if you enounter any issues.

Bacon
12-10-2007, 10:51 AM
We gotta decide today. I'll make another poll later today, but we really should decide today. It would really really suck to miss the deadline.
Yeah it would also suck to have a poorly designed ad... we need to make sure the ad is perfect.

fortilite
12-10-2007, 10:54 AM
We will perfect the ad once we pick a draft. That way we can focus on one ad.

Bacon
12-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Well either I can either just submit my draft this afternoon or I can just completely re-do the draft you choose.. doesn't matter to me.

fortilite
12-10-2007, 11:05 AM
How far along is your draft?

LibertyEagle
12-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Hpw many independents and never voted are going top/. eff the repummellicans that cannpt eveolve past their inculcation by the neocons and wish to lay scorn upon fellow Americans for not choosing alcohol and its problems as a choice of inebriant..which is REALLY the issue here.

Randy

Randy,

It does not work to shove something down their throats. If you want to have something like this, then just be sure to explain the rationale. That way, the truth would be out there and anyone who wanted to turn this ad back on us, would have a very hard time doing it.

We should also be honest in this ad. Paul does not advocate drug use and we should not imply that he does. He does however say that the Constitution does not give the federal government the authority to dictate what American citizens choose to put in their own bodies. This decision is to be left to the states and the people. If it is possible, we need to plant a seed as to why THEY don't want the federal government dictating this either. Just a seed.

The statement of him being against the War on Drugs, should also be explained. You would be surprised at how many people would consider what Paul is saying, if someone would actually explain the rationale to them. All a lot of people think of when they see "war on drugs", is drug runners, drug dealers and people with needles sticking out of their arms. This is how the government painted the picture for them and they fell for it. We have to give them a completely different picture as to why they should not support the federal government's War on Drugs. I would imagine he has touched on this in speeches before.

There is no need to declare war on the average Republican voter. They are not evil people at all and there are a number of them who are starting to come around to Dr. Paul. It will not serve us well to shove things in their faces and hold up our middle finger to them. There is no reason for it and frankly, there is little to be gained. It's harder, yes, to create an ad that accurately reflects Paul's stand, but in my opinion, that is what must be done.

fortilite
12-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Keep in mind this ad is going in Hightimes magazine.

Bacon
12-10-2007, 11:10 AM
It's about 50% complete right now. Won't take me very long to finish. I'm a subscriber to HT, so yes I know who the target audience is. :D

LibertyEagle
12-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Yeah it would also suck to have a poorly designed ad... we need to make sure the ad is perfect.

+1

fortilite
12-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Very true. Although heck, the MSM won't even air the John Stossel interview. :mad:

FireofLiberty
12-10-2007, 11:14 AM
I have trouble with the picture of the hand grabbing the marijuana in #4. Makes it look like Ron Paul is touching a marijuana plant. Yeah, "High Times" readers won't care, but others might.

Melissa
12-10-2007, 11:16 AM
I realize that. But, I am also aware of how easily it can be turned against us for the Republican primary. I am not suggesting anything beyond an accurate depiction of Paul's stance. If we do that well, it will diffuse any attacks that might come.

PLease go here for the ones that are worried about bad publicity this is on Ronpaul2008 and think this should lay any fears to rest about a ad for Dr. Paul in HighTimes

http://ronpaul2008.typepad.com/ron_paul_2008/2007/12/john-stossel-in.html

Andrew-Austin
12-10-2007, 11:16 AM

....WTF.

Yes it does.

I voted for 4, but use different pictures so Paul himself does not look like a pot head.

hambone1982
12-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Yes it does.

I voted for 4, but use different pictures so Paul himself does not look like a pot head.

Yeah, why does #4 make it look like RP is actually smoking pot? That's a no-go. We gotta fix that.

fortilite
12-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Those are glasses or a pen.

klamath
12-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Mistake. And we wonder why RP went from 8% to 4%. Attract 1 million drug users and turn off 50 million. Didn't even know what Hightimes mag was about but now I do. I didn't even look at the ads because I am sure I will see the winning ad in Huck's and Rudy's ads against RP. I hear over and over about how a pro war republican won't win because 70% of the people are aginst the war. Well do a poll on how many people want legal crack, LSD, cocain and heroin stands next to their neighbor hood schools? That is how this will be spun.
For the record I am against drug laws but to play this issue up is insane, but oh well, what ever will be will be.

NewEnd
12-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Time and time again, we have shown that allthough our positions are considered extreme and crazy, if we are not afraid to express them, eventually they retain some viability... like the Fed and the gold standard.. it was all considered kooky 3 months ago. There were debates here about whether we should be talking about such things.

Of course, all of Ron Paul's positions should be talked about, in the open. Its not like his opponents will not try to use it against him, especially if he wins a state primary or two... so lets get the legalization people on our side (there are tens of millions) before the neocon army strikes at us.

The attack is coming, so lets get more soldiers... and high times is fertile recruiting grounds.

I think it has already been shown being our silence does not stop them from pulling punches. So the attack is coming, we need to be prepared.

Bacon
12-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Mistake. And we wonder why RP went from 8% to 4%. Attract 1 million drug users and turn off 50 million. Didn't even know what Hightimes mag was about but now I do. I didn't even look at the ads because I am sure I will see the winning ad in Huck's and Rudy's ads against RP. I hear over and over about how a pro war republican won't win because 70% of the people are aginst the war. Well do a poll on how many people want legal crack, LSD, cocain and heroin stands next to their neighbor hood schools? That is how this will be spun.
For the record I am against drug laws but to play this issue up is insane, but oh well, what ever will be will be.
LOL, I love these type of posts..

Well since you're so big in to national polls, you might want to take a look at this one: http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle_blog/2007/dec/05/poll_hard_drug_legalization_little_use

free.alive
12-10-2007, 12:03 PM
What about the Green & Orange one? Can't that be modified for one page?

Of the three I like the last. However the importance of the 10th amendment needs to be explained like in the first two. Most potheads I know personally know virtually nothing of the Constitution and the Amendments, although most of them won't vote anyway.

NewEnd
12-10-2007, 12:04 PM

Of the three I like the last. However the importance of the 10th amendment needs to be explained like in the first two. Most potheads I know personally know virtually nothing of the Constitution and the Amendments, although most of them won't vote anyway.

I dont think this is true at all. A good deal of them will and do vote... especially those who are not "potheads" but still feel strongly about legalization.

Bacon
12-10-2007, 12:07 PM

Every time my friends ask who Ron Paul is and what his issues are, I just say he wants to decriminalize marijuana and they become huge RP supporters! ;) This has happened to at least 20 people who have been spreading it to others they know, so yeah "potheads" will vote in the 2008 elections.

WebFX
12-10-2007, 12:40 PM
http://urbanized.ca/ronpaul/paulad-webfx.jpg

fortilite
12-10-2007, 12:42 PM
http://urbanized.ca/ronpaul/paulad-webfx.jpg

That's a very good one, sorry I didn't respond to your email yet. Still waiting on one more entry someone is making and then we can do the final final poll. :D

And that will be the final one!

Madison
12-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Now I really hope this project falls through, since some the creators of the ads clearly have no interest in displaying factual information.

WebFX
12-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Now I really hope this project falls through, since some the creators of the ads clearly have no interest in displaying factual information.

Are you talking about the final bullet point?

I see where you're coming from, but I did a quick search for RP drug quotes and found this:

If we had probably a repeal of most of the federal laws on drugs and the unfairness on how Blacks are treated with these drugs laws, it would be a tremendous improvement.

Repeal of the law governing cannabis is technically the same thing as legalizing. However I am just going by the text, I am not married to this particular point. (and don't want to put words in Dr. Paul's mouth)

WebFX
12-10-2007, 01:00 PM
That's a very good one, sorry I didn't respond to your email yet. Still waiting on one more entry someone is making and then we can do the final final poll. :D

And that will be the final one!

Cool! No worries :)

romeshomey
12-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Definately #4

I am also glad this is being done.

Has anyone read Dr. Pauls 1988 High Times Featured Article when he was featured in 88' as 'The Pot Candidate?'

Here is the 1988 feature on Dr. Paul in High Times magazine. http://www.scribd.com/doc/34107/Ron-Paul-The-Pot-Candidate

Ron has also said if he is elected he will pardon Marc Emery.

GHoeberX
12-10-2007, 01:09 PM
I voted for #4

It's easier readable than #1 and #3 is missing a picture of Ron Paul himself.

Madison
12-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Are you talking about the final bullet point?

If we had probably a repeal of most of the federal laws on drugs and the unfairness on how Blacks are treated with these drugs laws, it would be a tremendous improvement.

Federal laws.

Birdlady
12-10-2007, 01:20 PM
No point of placing an ad that is sloppy. Up until this new one came along I think the idea needed scrapped.

However, WebFx's ad wins hands down. It is professional looking, which is important! Wonderful job on it.

akovacs
12-10-2007, 01:26 PM
In case this wasn't said already: DO NOT RUN THE 3RD AD WITH THE PICTURE OF THE POT LEAF.

You can get your point across without it, and someone can turn around and use it for their benefit. Yes, I know it's stupid but the picture if much more damaging than just saying "Stop the drug war". It looks like he's endorsing it. Otherwise the ad is perfect.

pcosmar
12-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Federal laws.

The war on Drugs is Federal.
If it were not for the Federal Laws, there would be NO state laws.
Several States have legalized or decriminalized over the years only to have the Fed overrule them.
Without the Federal Laws the States will fall like dominoes.

pcosmar
12-10-2007, 01:30 PM
In case this wasn't said already: DO NOT RUN THE 3RD AD WITH THE PICTURE OF THE POT LEAF.

You can get your point across without it, and someone can turn around and use it for their benefit. Yes, I know it's stupid but the picture if much more damaging than just saying "Stop the drug war". It looks like he's endorsing it. Otherwise the ad is perfect.

This is going in High Times. I think most of the people there have seen a pot leaf before.

fortilite
12-10-2007, 01:33 PM
The war on Drugs is Federal.
If it were not for the Federal Laws, there would be NO state laws.
Several States have legalized or decriminalized over the years only to have the Fed overrule them.
Without the Federal Laws the States will fall like dominoes.

That's not entirely true. Crack will probably be illegal in all states still, marijuana will still be illegal in 70-80% of states.

Melissa
12-10-2007, 01:34 PM
I do like the last add

akovacs
12-10-2007, 01:35 PM
This is going in High Times. I think most of the people there have seen a pot leaf before.

Yes, I know. That's why there's no reason to put one in the ad.

Not having it in there also prevents someone from just showing the ad on TV or whatever and saying that he endorses pot smoking. Without the picture, you have to read the ad and you can see clearly that he doesn't.

Would it happen? Probably not, but the picture doesn't serve any measurable purpose and will prevent the ad from working against it.

pcosmar
12-10-2007, 01:37 PM
That's not entirely true. Crack will probably be illegal in all states still, marijuana will still be illegal in 70-80% of states.

Probably true.
But Crack was a direct result of the Drug War, as is Bathtub Meth.
When cocaine was legal it was not a problem.

fortilite
12-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Probably true.
But Crack was a direct result of the Drug War, as is Bathtub Meth.
When cocaine was legal it was not a problem.

True, but that's irelevant to the ad. The people reading Hightimes are already convinced on ending the drug war, no need explain that part to them. All they need to know is what Dr. Paul would do as president. And I believe his main role will be in selecting judges who respect the 10th.

Bacon
12-10-2007, 01:49 PM
foritilite, don't worry about my submission.. I think WebFX's should be the chosen advertisement. It is a great piece of work -- perfect for HT!

amonasro
12-10-2007, 01:50 PM

Have you ever read High Times? :D The whole mag is full of pot leaves and close-up bud shots. There are even centerfolds featuring entire plants. A pot leave will be tame in comparison with the bud porn featured in those pages.

I think the third choice is the best. It looks good and gets to the point quickly.

There are a huge number of growers, whether for medicinal or personal use, that have become secluded and disenfranchised members of society because of their hobby. Many more than people think. These are not dealers, they are regular people who enjoy the hobby of cannabis breeding and grow in secret for personal use, just like people brew beer in their basement!

Many growing sites and communities have been shut down by the Feds, rightfully freaking them out. They may not even use the internet for fear of government spying. They will come out in droves to vote for Ron Paul when they hear his message.

This is a section of the population we are tapping here that has NEVER voted before and it's truly exciting! Getting the message out to them is extremely important.

CurtisLow
12-10-2007, 01:52 PM
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/4735/ronpaul2zn2.jpg

Esor
12-10-2007, 01:53 PM
foritilite, don't worry about my submission.. I think WebFX's should be the chosen advertisement. It is a great piece of work -- perfect for HT!

I agree, lets start that new thread and get this over with before the negative-nancies get everyone's hopes down.

Esor
12-10-2007, 01:59 PM
I have an idea.

Has anyone tried to contact the editors for High Times? Perhaps they would be interested in running an article about Ron Paul. They did it for his 1988 campaign, I don't see why they wouldn't do it for this one. That would also solve the issues that everyone is concerned about. If the MSM tries to smear it in our face, we would simply say "Hey, it is their magazine. We can't tell them to not run an article if they so choose."

Esor
12-10-2007, 03:29 PM
^bump^

fortilite
12-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Don't worry, if I don't hear back from the last ad submitter in 2 hours we're moving on to the next stage.

MadTheologian
12-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Hello! The ads look nice!

krott5333
12-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Don't worry, if I don't hear back from the last ad submitter in 2 hours we're moving on to the next stage.

way to push forward!

:)

MBA
01-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Just got the latest issue of High Times and guess what there is no ad for Ron Paul.

What the hell is up with that?

I donated to this project via the chipin, and am extremely disappointed and disgusted with these latest developments.

devil21
01-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Just got the latest issue of High Times and guess what there is no ad for Ron Paul.

What the hell is up with that?

I donated to this project via the chipin, and am extremely disappointed and disgusted with these latest developments.

Is it the March issue? If not, you have the wrong issue. Ive heard that the issue won't be available until Jan 11th.