PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain the booing?

Karsten
12-09-2007, 09:49 PM
I would like to know what was said during the Venezuela question, and what Ron Paul said, and the reasoning behind the booing?

Qiu
12-09-2007, 09:50 PM
I think he said that he would talk to Chavez and trade with Castro.

steph3n
12-09-2007, 09:50 PM
He said we shodul talk to Castro and Chavez in short

bgoldwater
12-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Hispanics in America HATE Castro and Chavez. They despise dictators.

xao
12-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Amazing. Simply amazing that people are catering to a racist group of LaRaza Racists and pro-illegal groups like this. Univison has outright promoted and sponsored LaRaza in the past.

This is a quote from another member who put this thing into the proper context.
His handle is rg...?? something(sorry forgot the rest)

"There shouldn't be a debate in spanish to begin with. It is a debate for the "Illegal vote" Which any illegal person in the country with a drivers license can vote. I do not see any debates being conducted in German, French, Italian, Sweedish, Arabic, etc, etc. Illegal immigration isn't about race, nationality,or color. It doesn't matter if the illegal is red, yellow, black or brown. Its about the law and allowing to many people into our country with no allegience to america without time to assimialte createing a foreign country within our own. This is being done on purpose to make the NAU transitition easier."

split_lipz
12-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Funny thing is Ron Paul is the complete opposite from those two. He should have said something along those lines.

I think Ron Paul is right though. What has the current policy towards Cuba accomplished? Nothing!

Phil M
12-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Rough translation (I'm guessing some words, actually):

Well, he isn't the nicest guy around, but we need to treat everyone the same way and trade with them (boo). We talked with Stalin, Mao, Khrushchev, we've talked with the whole world. And now, we should talk and include Cuba, and travel to Cuba, and have commerce with Cuba (boo) . And let me tell you why we have problems with South America. Because we've been meddling there so long and we've created the Chavezes and Castros of the world (then a sentence I don't understand at all) (boo).

Phil M
12-09-2007, 10:04 PM
" I do not see any debates being conducted in German, French, Italian, Sweedish, Arabic, etc, etc.

Hmmm... Maybe because there are tens of millions of American citizens who speak Spanish as their first language and only small populations of those others?

steph3n
12-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Hmmm... Maybe because there are tens of millions of American citizens who speak Spanish as their first language and only small populations of those others?

Phil, no reason to talk to this guy he's simply spewing collectivist garbage through the forums. Putting words people did not say in their mouth's etc

lbadragan
12-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Hmmm... Maybe because there are tens of millions of American citizens who speak Spanish as their first language and only small populations of those others? That's a problem that our racist immigration policy is responsible for. Why do we favor Hispanics over Asians, Europeans, Africans, etc...? If you had a sane immigration policy, you wouldn't have to worry about Spanish becoming an official language of the U.S.

boberino
12-09-2007, 10:09 PM
It seemed like they started hostile, but by the time he was done explaining it was a mixed bag of applause and boos.

steph3n
12-09-2007, 10:10 PM
That's a problem that our racist immigration policy is responsible for. Why do we favor Hispanics over Asians, Europeans, Africans, etc...? If you had a sane immigration policy, you wouldn't have to worry about Spanish becoming an official language of the U.S.

No, that is illegals. Our legal immigration policy except for the one about cuba is pretty fair and long term should be increased, after the illegal immigration issue is resolved.

However in addition to that Mexico is a land-joined country so naturally you could have more wanting to come here from there.
The point however should be that by closing corporate trade agreements that favor the companies instead of the people(NAFTA) and bad policy you bring the PEOPLE up instead of the corruption of the companies. (in Mexico, and other countries as well)

beobeli
12-09-2007, 10:14 PM
I guess there are many Hispanic immigrants who are pissed off at Castro and Chavez. They expect American tax payer to pay for overthrowing them and/or mess in the internal affairs of those countries, which is not what Ron Paul stands for. Hence the booing.

steph3n
12-09-2007, 10:16 PM
I guess there are many Hispanic immigrants who are pissed off at Castro and Chavez. They expect American tax payer to pay for overthrowing them and/or mess in the internal affairs of those countries, which is not what Ron Paul stands for. Hence the booing.

that is it partially but look at our record, it sucks. We can't do anything like this or it creates even worse monsters.

lbadragan
12-09-2007, 10:26 PM
No, that is illegals. Our legal immigration policy except for the one about cuba is pretty fair and long term should be increased, after the illegal immigration issue is resolved.

However in addition to that Mexico is a land-joined country so naturally you could have more wanting to come here from there.
The point however should be that by closing corporate trade agreements that favor the companies instead of the people(NAFTA) and bad policy you bring the PEOPLE up instead of the corruption of the companies. (in Mexico, and other countries as well)I consider current illegal immigration policy because our government refuses to stop it, hence they give tacit approval to it. The fact that Mexico borders us is no reason in itself to bring in more Mexicans. And I'd guess that proximity to the U.S is no indication as to the willingness of people to emigrate to the U.S. I have friends thousands of miles away that would give body parts to be allowed come here.

steph3n
12-09-2007, 10:27 PM
I consider current illegal immigration policy because our government refuses to stop it, hence they give tacit approval to it. The fact that Mexico borders us is no reason in itself to bring in more Mexicans. And I'd guess that proximity to the U.S is no indication as to the willingness of people to emigrate to the U.S. I have friends thousands of miles away that would give body parts to be allowed come here.

you have a little point about inaction being policy :) but it is NOT the law, the law should be enforced

daniroyer
12-09-2007, 11:58 PM
I was at the debate live. Which turned out better for me because they translated anything said in Spanish on the big screens and I heard the candidates respond live, in English with no translator. Though, I'd love to have been at the Titanic so I could really have let my true feeling out and not have to behave despite others not.

First off, I am going to say that before the debate went live, we were giving STRICT orders not to have extended applause, NO BOOING, NO HISSING. Anyone caught doing so would be taken out by security and/or police and that any UM student caught would be subject to discipline from the school. THIS WAS SAID IN ENGLISH AND SPANISH SO THERE WOULD BE NO CONFUSION.

Now, I saw plenty of opportunity to boo the other candidates and I sure others did too (Guiliani mentioned nation I.D. twice).

The question that was posed was in regard to the people of Venezuela voting down Chavez's amendments and what they thought of it and the situation in whole. It went to Ron Paul first. He DARED to say he would TALK to Chavez (like diplomacy is HORRIBLE or something) and that started the boos. But he did not back down and pressed on saying that he would lift the Cuban embargo. That crowd reacted like he had just thrown acid on them. Us Paul supporters did what we could. Considering most of us had been rallying since 11 this morning, we did what we could.

Now, remember what was said earlier about booing and hissing not being allowed? I did not see a single person even TALKED to by security. And some of those booing were not only UM students, but the staff working the event. Had I pulled that crap, you can bet I would have been taken from the arena or at worse.

(If I missed anyone getting in trouble over the booing, please let me know. I was in the early stages of sleep deprived delirium by that point!)

Lacrosseus
12-10-2007, 02:48 AM
Funny thing is Ron Paul is the complete opposite from those two. He should have said something along those lines.

I think Ron Paul is right though. What has the current policy towards Cuba accomplished? Nothing!

MMM... been great for the Florida economy. South Florida is as far as we can go now. The government is in no hurry to allow tourists back into Cuba.

LibertyEagle
12-10-2007, 03:45 AM
I'm not sure of Paul's stance on this issue. But my personal opinion is that English should be the official language of our country. If you wonder why, ask Quebec.

V-rod
12-10-2007, 06:22 AM
They'll get over it.

noztnac
12-10-2007, 06:27 AM
The current administration allows trade with Venezuela. Is that fact lost on all of those people who booed?

Chicago Joe
12-10-2007, 06:31 AM
It's actually funny if you watch the debate at two points.

Wildly Boo'd for suggesting Trade/Friendship/Talks with Nations such as Venezuela & Cuba under their current Dictatorships.

BUT, a little later...

Wildly cheered for suggesting that we build westernized Nations & get rid of old-world dictators by not interfering in other countries' politics, and by having a pro-peace & pro-trade outlook on foreign policy.

It just go's to show that people don't really respond to the truth, but to how things sound. He essentially says the same thing twice, and each time he receives polar opposite crowd responses.

kylejack
12-10-2007, 06:34 AM
The current administration allows trade with Venezuela. Is that fact lost on all of those people who booed?
Well, he said he'd talk with him too.

But anyway, it seemed to me like the booing turned around when Ron Paul compared Chavez to Mao and Kruschev, and also when he said we create these people with our foreign policy. Castro, for example, was funded and armed by the CIA to overthrow Batista. Cuba was a popular American tourist destination, and while Batista was no saint, relations between Cuba and the US were generally very positive. For whatever reason, we decided we wanted him out, and we armed Castro, a man who promised us that he was not a communist and that he wanted a republic for Cuba. Surprise surprise, he became a communist dictator and shot us the finger.

The embargo is more about the foreign policy embarrassment than communism. We trade with plenty of communist countries, some like China with horrible human rights abuses.

Johnnybags
12-10-2007, 06:36 AM
another managed trade system to allow big corps to dominate trade. Archer Daniels Midland and the same crowd. Guess who visits Cuba, American politicians by the thousands. Cuba is China, only 90 miles away and the only reason the US will not engage them is that most of the land expropriated from American company's and politicians/gangsters at the time will not be given back. Bond investors not repayed, etc. Obviously, the embargo experiment failed. The Europeans invest and travel to Cuba with little worries. Basically its a partnership with the government. 40 years of free trade and Castro would have died long ago from the American diet.

pazzo83
12-10-2007, 12:58 PM

Yup, I can personally attest to that one as I am hispanic and I cannot STAND Castro and Chavez, it is better that we just ignore them than do anything else.

Mani
12-10-2007, 02:21 PM
For people who may not know, Miami has a Very high population of people originally from Cuba.

It's a known, "hate Castro" thing down here. To say something other than he's Satan is pure blasphemy in Miami. That's the culture/attitude of the average person in Miami, which the average person is likely Cuban or of some Cuban descent.

Voluntaryist
12-10-2007, 10:32 PM

They should all vote for Ron Paul then ;)

Voluntaryist
12-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Yup, I can personally attest to that one as I am hispanic and I cannot STAND Castro and Chavez, it is better that we just ignore them than do anything else.

pazzo83, does that mean that we should continue the embargo on Cuba for example? I think its obvious that the embargo doesnt hurt the regime at all; it only hurts innocent Cubans.

pazzo83
12-11-2007, 12:23 AM
pazzo83, does that mean that we should continue the embargo on Cuba for example? I think its obvious that the embargo doesnt hurt the regime at all; it only hurts innocent Cubans.

No the embargo is stupid and violates the very principle of free trade. Other than that we should completely ignore Castro or Chavez unless:

A) Chavez can grow up and act like a mature world leader (there is a reason the King of Spain told him to shut up, he acts like a 4 yr old), he's also one of the most authoritarian people on the planet
B) They are directly threatening us.

We shouldn't do anything to hurt Venezuela or Cuba. In fact, we shouldn't do anything at all. Our meddling in the affairs of LA countries is what fuels the way blown-out-of-proportion rhetoric emanating from Chavez and Castro.

fcnz
12-11-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure of Paul's stance on this issue. But my personal opinion is that English should be the official language of our country. If you wonder why, ask Quebec.

Huh, I don't get your reference? Ask Quebec? French should be the official language of Canada if we ask them.

kylejack
12-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Huh, I don't get your reference? Ask Quebec? French should be the official language of Canada if we ask them.
No, I think they probably don't care what language Canada speaks after Canada allows them to secede. :)