PDA

View Full Version : Men are slow to show support for the Women’s March. Is it considered unmasculine?

timosman
01-13-2017, 02:10 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/men-slow-to-show-support-for-the-womens-march/2017/01/09/17877ba4-d35d-11e6-a783-cd3fa950f2fd_story.html

By Michael Alison Chandler January 12, 2017

https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_1484w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2017/01/08/Others/Images/2017-01-08/ManMarch03.jpg
Duncan Chaplin, holding his daughter India-Rose, is planning to take part in the Women’s March. (Michael S. Williamson/The Washington Post)

On Donald Trump’s first day in office, organizers of the Women’s March on Washington are calling on “all defenders of human rights” to join to stand up for women and other groups that have been marginalized.

But there is one group, composed of about half of the population, that is hard to find in the social media and logistical frenzy leading up to the highest profile event protesting Trump’s politics: men.

Of the 175,000 people who indicated they are going on the march’s Facebook page, just a fraction appear to be men. And the #WhyIMarch Twitter feeds show far more mothers and sisters than fathers and brothers. On the ground, march organizers in Houston, Cleveland and Pittsburgh reported that just a handful of the seats on their buses have been reserved by men.

“This is a movement that is led by women, but it is not just for women. It’s for all people,” said Linda Sarsour, one of the march’s lead organizers.

One caveat: “You have to be okay with being led by women,” she said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-_LmCYAWA
'Women’s March on Washington’ organizer Bob Bland speaks with The Washington Post's social change reporter, Sandhya Somashekhar, about the rally planned for the day after Donald Trump's inauguration. (Elyse Samuels/The Washington Post)

The same test that played out when Americans went to vote for the nation’s first female president is now playing out in the anti-Trump response to the election. Some scholars of gender and politics say that while plenty of these men believe in women’s rights and abilities to lead, many still aren’t comfortable shouting their views through a bullhorn or spreading them on Twitter. Even those who show up might be unlikely to signal so beforehand.

“A lot of men are quiet supporters of women,” said Jackson Katz, author of “Man Enough? Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, and the Politics of Presidential Masculinity.” Millions of men voted for Clinton and support women’s rights both politically and personally, he said, but they don’t have a powerful voice.

Plans to attend the march formed quickly among female friends and relatives, many of whom also took to social media to channel their disappointment after the election.

Katz attributes the more muffled support among men in part to efforts that Trump and other Republicans have made to challenge the masculinity of men who support liberal causes or women in leadership. Trump has repeatedly cast himself as the strong man.

Alex Mohajer, co-founder of Bros 4 Hillary, an advocacy group, said it this way: “There is a sense [that] if you outwardly support a woman you are less deserving of your man stripes.”

The November election exposed the largest gender gap in more than 40 years, with women favoring Clinton by 13 points and men favoring Trump by 11 points. The gap was most stark for white men, in particular non-college-educated white men, 71 percent of whom voted for Trump. For this group of economically challenged men, Trump’s appeal to a simpler time when men ruled the family resonated, Katz said.

At the same time, millions of men went to vote for Clinton as the first female president. Among them, 82 percent of African American men and 63 percent of Latino men. Younger men — ages 18 to 29 — were also more supportive of Clinton and also are likely to support gender equality when it comes to a range of family-friendly policies.

Katz said these men will need to speak out if they don’t want to see abortion outlawed, given Trump’s pledge to appoint antiabortion judges to federal courts. They will also need to make known, he said, that they believe preventing sexual violence should be a priority, after Trump openly bragged about assaulting women.

“That means taking some risks in challenging other men, and literally standing up to the bullying that comes from the right about masculinity,” Katz said.

Women are leading the charge for the march, heading up logistics and legal work, while male volunteers are playing mostly supporting roles. It is a contrast to the 1963 March on Washington, when women largely worked behind the scenes.

“This is all a part of straightening that bend in the road that women did not have a voice through the years,” said Harry Belafonte, the music legend and civil rights leader who worked with Martin Luther King Jr. and was asked to be an honorary co-chair of the event with feminist icon Gloria Steinem.

“A lot of women are going with their friends, their sisters, and their mothers,” said Leah Burnett, a musician who helped organize five busloads of marchers from Cleveland. “I think it’s a bonding experience.”

She counted less than 10 of more than 250 seats that she can confirm have been reserved by men.

Many men who have pledged support for the march on Facebook say they are motivated to attend to continue the progress that women have made.

Tim Riddick, a 36-year-old photographer from Woodbridge, said he plans to join the march because he wants to set an example for his three young sons.

“I am worrying about the way my boys will treat women when they are older. I want to make sure they not only respect women, but that they fight for women as well,” he said.

Riddick calls himself a “purple elephant,” a rare liberal who is also an observant Christian. He believes that women should be leaders in the church and also in the nation — and he believes women’s rights will not be successful without support from both genders. That means blending the line on what is considered a “women’s issue” to start with, including access to abortion and birth control.

Jeffrey Allan Ellis-Lee, a public school teacher in New York City, volunteered to be a bus captain, helping to shepherd a fleet of more than 60 buses that are scheduled to bring protesters from New York City and building on organizing work he did during Clinton’s campaign.

“This was such an anti-woman campaign,” he said. “There are so many issues, but this is the issue that I am standing up for during the march itself.”

Gerald Dudley, 33, is attending a solidarity march in Austin, where he works for a company that hosts pub quizzes. He said he wants to be much more outspoken in his support for women’s rights. “It’s not enough to say, ‘I’m not a misogynist,’ ” he said. “This year I am trying to put my money where my mouth is.”

To him, that means donating to feminist causes, seeking out more women’s perspectives in his reading, and calling out sexism when he encounters it. “When I hear a joke where the butt of the joke is a woman . . . Maybe I could say, ‘I don’t get it: Why is that funny?’ ”

Darren Battle, a 51-year-old chef in Atlanta, is coming to Washington for the march because he wants to support equal pay and other rights.

“There are not many female chefs. But if they are doing the job, they should be making what I am making,” he said.

Duncan Chaplin, an education policy researcher in Petworth, said when he heard about the Women’s March he immediately planned to go and invited friends from out of town.

“Being part of a loyal opposition is important,” he said. “I want to oppose what Trump stands for, and women’s issues are clearly a part of that.”

Emily Guskin contributed to this report.

agitator
01-13-2017, 05:22 AM
http://www.tickcounter.com/countdown/1484920800000/us-central/dhms/061BC3FDFDFDFBF9F900FF04/The_End_Of_The_World_As_We_Know_It_!!?utm_source=w idget&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=widget

euphemia
01-13-2017, 06:47 AM
Women are not marginalized. I'm job hunting, and easily two thirds of the people I've talked to are women.

tod evans
01-13-2017, 06:50 AM
One caveat: “You have to be okay with being led by women,” she said.

:rolleyes:

presence
01-13-2017, 08:19 AM
“There are not many female chefs. But if they are doing the job, they should be making what I am making,” he said.

why?

It seems absurd to me that just because someone else has no penis and can also cook that they're just as good a leading a kitchen as someone that has already proven themselves to be of value.

One individual should make as much as another individual if the MARKET finds equal value in the product/service they provide.

oyarde
01-13-2017, 08:31 AM
I care not about any ridiculous ladies march and would equally care less of any penis march .

RJB
01-13-2017, 11:32 AM
It was called a "women's" march from the start. It implies it would be disrespectful for a man to intrude. If it was called a "man's" march, I doubt women would have shown up. It's divisive politics at its finest, complain when it worked.

bunklocoempire
01-13-2017, 12:22 PM
March to the kitchen and make me a sandwich.

Please.

Anti Federalist
01-13-2017, 12:36 PM
Aggrieved grievance group is griping.

College educated women earn more than men.

Women are less likely to be laid off.

Women are less likely to be killed on the job.

Women live longer than men (although that gap is closing, as more women strive to be men and find out the stress and aggravation that comes with that)

Women are at a huge advantage within the family court system.

Woman are a majority in the population, yet claim "minority status" and protections.

Quityerbitchin...

dannno
01-13-2017, 07:07 PM
I care not about any ridiculous ladies march and would equally care less of any penis march .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92KFhrIrgyY

MelissaWV
01-13-2017, 07:14 PM
idk a Penis March sounds like it could be comedic gold. Can you hire those Puppetry guys?

Schifference
01-13-2017, 07:28 PM
The only group in the US that is truly discriminated against in this day are white males.

Suzanimal
01-13-2017, 08:02 PM

I would go to a penis march.:)

vita3
01-13-2017, 08:06 PM
Why doesn't this march head over to Saudi Arabian embassy & really target somebody holding women down?

RonPaulIsGreat
01-13-2017, 08:11 PM
Ummmmm, no, women as whole have every advantage in the world. Kind of tired of the bitchin and moaning.

Women pay less taxes than men, and collect more in benefit from government. Case closed. Shut up.

Anti Federalist
01-13-2017, 08:11 PM
Why doesn't this march head over to Saudi Arabian embassy & really target somebody holding women down?

Pipe down you Islamaphobe, hater, racist...

timosman
01-13-2017, 09:21 PM
Pipe down you Islamaphobe, hater, racist...

No pussy for you, hater!

PatriotOne
01-13-2017, 09:33 PM
I thought I smelled the odor of Soro's when I saw "woman's march". Sure enough......

Soros-Funded Groups Back Anti-Trump Women’s March

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/01/12/anti-trump-womens-march-backed-soros-funded-groups/

The Women’s March on Washington, a celebrity-endorsed event planned for the day after Donald Trump’s inauguration, is backed by a who’s who of far-left organizations, including scores of groups financed by billionaire George Soros.

RonPaulMall
01-13-2017, 10:35 PM
Is Michael Alison Chandler a shitlord? How did his decision to post a picture of a literal cuck as the face of the "men supporting the women's march" get past the SJW censors at the Post?

TheTexan
01-13-2017, 11:01 PM
The march was probably organized by men.

Just sayin'

ThePaleoLibertarian
01-13-2017, 11:18 PM
https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_1484w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2017/01/08/Others/Images/2017-01-08/ManMarch03.jpg

His wife's daughter doesn't even seem like she likes him.

RandallFan
01-15-2017, 01:57 AM
Let's play nice for awhile. I read there is a lot of gay black men in Washington DC, especially percentage wise amongst interns. That would mean a black woman in her 40s might date the guy in the picture for his money and tolerate him.

timosman
01-15-2017, 02:02 AM
Let's play nice for awhile. I read there is a lot of gay black men in Washington DC, especially percentage wise amongst interns. That would mean a black woman in her 40s might date the guy in the picture for his money and tolerate him.

I am afraid she would be disappointed.:cool:

TheTexan
01-15-2017, 02:36 AM
No pussy for you, hater!

This march has got to be the easiest pussy crushing event to be seen in years.

I'm sure dannno will be in attendance.

Anti Federalist
01-23-2017, 10:16 PM
Yes, after seeing this unfold, I would most certainly question the masculinity of any "man" who took part.

Anti Federalist
01-23-2017, 10:17 PM

His wife's daughter doesn't even seem like she likes him.

Looks like this poor henpecked bastard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjFc9TkhrWk

Brian4Liberty
01-23-2017, 10:29 PM
This fits here too...

We should be more specific. This was not a "woman's march", as many women were not welcome, and some men were welcome. This was a hysterical leftist march. (Men that fit into the hysterical leftist category were welcome to come along, just not allowed to hold any leadership or speaking positions).

GunnyFreedom
01-23-2017, 10:30 PM
idk a Penis March sounds like it could be comedic gold. Can you hire those Puppetry guys?
I am pretty sure a Penis Parade is a regular occurrence out somewhere in the far east. A parade and a festival and everything. Fun for the whole family.

euphemia
01-23-2017, 10:49 PM
I'll bet it took a lot of men and heavy machinery to set up that stage and all those baracades. Sheesh.