PDA

View Full Version : Trump Fires Nuclear Arsenal Chief and Staff

presence
01-09-2017, 05:56 PM
http://gizmodo.com/trump-just-dismissed-the-people-in-charge-of-maintainin-1790908093

According to an official within the Department of Energy, this past Friday, the President-elect’s team instructed the head of the National Nuclear Security Administration and his deputy to clean out their desks when Trump takes office on January 20th.
The NNSA is the $12 billion-a-year agency that “maintains and enhances the safety, security, and effectiveness of the U.S. nuclear weapons stockpile.” It’s unclear when the two officials will be replaced.
Traditionally, all political appointees of an outgoing presidential administration turn in resignation letters effective on noon of inauguration day, January 20. But appointees in key positions—like the people who make sure our nukes work—are often asked to stay on in their roles until a replacement can be found and confirmed by the Senate, helping ensure a smooth transition and allowing our government to continue functioning. In fact, for the entirety of Obama’s first term and into part of his second, the NNSA Administrator remained a Bush appointee.

Trump, however, appears determined to immediately push out everyone who was appointed by Obama, regardless of whether or not he has anyone in line for the job. Or, as our source put it: “It’s a shocking disregard for process and continuity of government.”

Just as with Obama’s soon-to-be-removed international envoys (http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/us/politics/trump-ambassadors.html), Trump has ordered Under Secretary for Nuclear Security Frank Klotz and his deputy, Madelyn Creedon—both Obama appointees—to leave their posts, even if it means no one is in charge of maintaining the country’s nuclear weapons. According to our Energy Department source, Trump’s team has yet to nominate anyone to succeed them. Since both positions require Senate confirmation, if could be months before their chairs are filled. And the vacancies may extend beyond the leadership roles.
“There are scores more appointees within the department,” our source told us. “Secretarial and administration appointments that don’t require Senate confirmation, mostly performing policy, liaison, and strategic advisory capacities in support of the agency they’re at. They serve at the will of the head of their agency. Those people are, theoretically, also out on inauguration day unless otherwise directed, which hasn’t happened yet to my knowledge.”
The source later added, “I’m more and more coming around to the idea that we’re so very very fucked.”

As far as I can tell, this is unprecedented—January 20 will mark the first time in the NNSA’s 17-year history that it will exist wholly without its appointed leadership. According to Bob Rosner (http://thebulletin.org/bio/robert-rosner), the Co-Chair of the Science and Security Board of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists and the former director of Argonne National Laboratory, the leadership vacuum won’t prevent the agency from fulfilling its essential duties. But it will leave it without an advocate as it tries to secure a budget from Congress, and unable to tackle any new initiatives whatsoever.

“To some extent, what we’re talking about is the political leadership, the leadership appointed by each administration,” Rosner told Gizmodo. “The department is really run by its civil servants.”

Still, while those career civil servants will continue on with their current directives, they’re effectively barred from embarking on anything new. That’s because the legislation authorizing the NNSA (https://nnsa.energy.gov/sites/default/files/nnsa/inlinefiles/NNSA%20Act%20100110.pdf)specifically prohibits non-NNSA officials from managing NNSA employees—agency staffers are only allowed to take orders from Klotz and Creedon or their (nonexistent) replacements.

Usually, in the first few months of a new presidential administration, the NNSA defends its new budget to Congress. But without any leadership in place, that’s next to impossible, even as Trump has made

big, vague promises of nuclear expansion.

phill4paul
01-09-2017, 06:05 PM
Good. I, personally, am liking this shake-up.

Cleaner44
01-09-2017, 06:42 PM
Good. I, personally, am liking this shake-up.

Me too. What I am seeing is a rejection of business as usual and the usual suspects don't like it at all.

Many government positions are just crap that we don't need and should stop paying for asap.

FunkBuddha
01-09-2017, 06:50 PM
As far as I can tell, this is unprecedented—January 20 will mark the first time in the NNSA’s 17-year history that it will exist wholly without its appointed leadership.

Sounds like this is a Bush era department? Or at most, very end of Clinton era? If that's the case and Obama didn't replace the Bush appointees until the end of his first and on into his second term, this sounds like much ado about nothing. How did we ever get by for the previous 50+ years when our Nuclear arsenal was even larger?

presence
01-09-2017, 06:59 PM
How did we ever get by for the previous 50+ years when our Nuclear arsenal was even larger?

NNSA came about after Wen Ho Lee was convicted

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wen_Ho_Lee

Brian4Liberty
01-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Fire 'em all!

FunkBuddha
01-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Seems like for $12 billion a year we could get better security.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/10/washington/10identity.html

Dr.3D
01-09-2017, 07:42 PM
If only my wish of around 90% of government to be done away with would come true. This looks like a good start.

enhanced_deficit
01-09-2017, 08:18 PM
He's on a roll but let's hope he won't tweet-fire execs/editors of NBC/WaPo.

tod evans
01-09-2017, 08:19 PM
Fire 'em all!

And don't replace them!

Natural Citizen
01-09-2017, 08:46 PM
Good.

Origanalist
01-09-2017, 10:06 PM
Does this mean we won't be lobbing any nukes right away? How disappointing, John McCain must be devastated.

AngryCanadian
01-10-2017, 01:51 AM
Does this mean we won't be lobbing any nukes right away? How disappointing, John McCain must be devastated.

To bad he cant replace McCain.