PDA

View Full Version : Record: 27 million guns bought in 2016

Anti Federalist
01-04-2017, 11:10 AM
I'll await Zippy's arrival, who will be happy to tell me that was only five "prepper" guys buying all those guns.

Boom: Record 27 million guns bought in 2016

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/boom-record-27-million-guns-bought-in-2016/article/2610848

By Paul Bedard (@SecretsBedard) • 1/4/17 10:15 AM

Driven by terror threats and a potential Hillary Clinton administration, sales of guns in America soared to record levels in 2016, according to the FBI.

Just released FBI background check numbers, which roughly equate gun sales, totaled some 27,538,673, 4 million more than in 2015 and nearly double the number in President Obama's first year.

The numbers do not include many guns sold to or given to friends and family.

Sales hit record levels for some 19 months in a row as the number of terrorist attacks around the world and here at home increased, driving purchases by those seeking protection. The increase paralleled increases in those seeking a license to carry a concealed weapon.

The administration's constant, but failed, efforts to impose gun control, and threats by Clinton to double down on those efforts, also pushed gun sales to record highs.

In fact, Obama was often called the "salesman in chief" for the gun industry.

Since the election, however, sales have slipped as fears about gun bans and ammo taxes and registration died with Clinton's busted bid. December, for example, was the first month where sales did not match the previous December's, when background checks reached 3.3 million.

Justin Anderson, marketing director for one of the nation's biggest gun sellers, Hyatt Gun Store of Charlotte, N.C., told Secrets, "We are pleased to see more and more Americans taking responsibility for their own personal safety. Not only are they buying guns at a record pace, but they are also getting trained and preparing themselves"

He added that sales are expected to continue to be brisk as more Americans take self-defense seriously.

"While the election gave us some growth this year, we think the primary driver right now is that people are realizing just how vulnerable they are. They are learning the old adage: 'When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.' We expect this record pace to continue. In the past, we have seen bubbles based on political forces: Presidential elections, mass shootings, etc. All of those bubbles burst and we were left with a long period of slow sales. The current market is more slow and steady and it is still trending up, so we expect great things in 2017."

phill4paul
01-04-2017, 11:23 AM
we think the primary driver right now is that people are realizing just how vulnerable they are. They are learning the old adage: 'When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

This cheers the heart almost as much as the fact that more Americans are becoming gun owners.

Anti Federalist
01-04-2017, 06:41 PM
This cheers the heart almost as much as the fact that more Americans are becoming gun owners.

Yup.

Natural Citizen
01-04-2017, 07:26 PM
Well, it certainly says a lot about the frame of mind that people have these days. My only thing I wonder about is how many of those people are actually dangerous with them. Lots of reckless people buy guns. Lots of people react before they think when in possession of a gun.

But, hey. It's their right. I won't argue against it. A lot of militant liberals are buying plinkers lately. What's disturbing is some of the dialogue I read from them as to the reason they bought one on different forums. War against conservatives and whatnot. More specifically, fear of conservatives (maybe a mental illness?). Mainly the younger ones. The older liberals have a bit more sense about it.

oyarde
01-04-2017, 07:35 PM
Well , I bought used ones so I am not in the count . In my state no paperwork .

Anti Federalist
01-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Well , I bought used ones so I am not in the count . In my state no paperwork .

You know...after all these years...I have to ask:

Is it pronounced oh-YARD-ee?

oyarde
01-04-2017, 07:54 PM
You know...after all these years...I have to ask:

Is it pronounced oh-YARD-ee?

Oy ardy

Zippyjuan
01-04-2017, 08:32 PM
I kinda thought it was like "Chef Boyardee" but without the "Chef" and the "b".

oyarde
01-04-2017, 08:37 PM
I kinda thought it was like "Chef Boyardee" but without the "Chef" and the "b".

Pretty much .

oyarde
01-04-2017, 08:39 PM
I buy a couple every year because , well , I deserve it .

oyarde
01-04-2017, 08:48 PM
In 2013 the US exported 400k firearms , in 2014 3.6 million were imported .

Natural Citizen
01-04-2017, 08:51 PM
Oy ardy Lightfoot.

oyarde
01-04-2017, 09:02 PM
Ya tasnole

fedupinmo
01-04-2017, 09:41 PM
The ones bought as investments will be cheap soon... and on the private market. ;)