PDA

View Full Version : Thank You, Gary Johnson, for Being the Best Thing in 2016!

Brian4Liberty
01-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Thank You, Gary Johnson, for Being the Best Thing in 2016!
By Nick Gillespie | Jan. 3, 2017

Before we completely flush 2016 down the memory hole, let us pause to remember Gary Johnson, the former two-term governor of New Mexico who generated a record number of votes as the Libertarian Party's candidate for president. If there was anything good that happened in 2016—a year filled so much awfulness that even the Chicago Cubs could win the World Series after a thousand-year drought—it was @govgaryjohnson's ramshackle campaign to bring a very different way of thinking and talking about national politics to America.

In the end, of course, there was a lot of disappointment. He didn't crack 15 percent in polls to route around the bullshit criteria created by the two major parties to keep people like him off the stage; he supported the inalienable rights of gay Nazis to force homophobic Jewish bakers to make German chocolate cakes in the shapes of swastikas; he spaced out while talking to recidivist plagiarist Mike Barnicle on Morning Joe and asked, What is Aleppo?; and so much more. Yeah, yeah, I get it. In fact, as a professional libertarian, I was there for lots and lots of it, including a year ago when he outlined his bizarre and quickly walked-back comments about banning burqas in America. I read all the crocodile-tear complaints about from conservatives and liberals who said that GovGary wasn't libertarian enough for them and from the "thin libertarians" who said they bailed on him the minute he refused to start every answer to every question with a recitation of the non-aggression principle. Bloomberg View's Eli Lake called it in August, pre-"Aleppo Moment," when he said that Johnson "is a gangly ball of nerves who exudes the charisma of Don Knotts from his Three's Company years" and that Americans couldn't see him as a commander-in-chief. Then there's Bill Weld, the governor's running mate who infuriated almost everyone (except me, tbh) with his charming and idiosyncratic riffs on all sorts of non-libertarian ideas before semi-endorsing Hillary Clinton just before Election Day....

To all of it, I say, politely: Go screw yourselves, all of you.
The tragicomedy of America is that we mostly get the government we demand. For all his faults, Johnson articulated the broadly felt desire for government that does less and costs less and personified a down-to-earth politician. In doing so, he prototyped what the politics and politicians of the future will be like. Gary, we hardly knew ye, but we will, and sooner than most of us think.
More: https://reason.com/blog/2017/01/03/thank-you-gary-johnson-for-being-the-bes

enhanced_deficit
01-03-2017, 06:38 PM
Because of this offense alone, Gary Johnson should not be allowed to use the "Libertarian" label for next 10 years.

Then there's Bill Weld, the governor's running mate who infuriated almost everyone (except me, tbh) with his charming and idiosyncratic riffs on all sorts of non-libertarian ideas before semi-endorsing Hillary Clinton just before Election Day....

phill4paul
01-03-2017, 07:49 PM
Well, fuck you too, Nick Gillespie.

Natural Citizen
01-03-2017, 08:04 PM
Well. Here's what I'm going to say about Johnson. And I've said it about a thousand times already. So what's once more among friends?

If you openly contend that you'd send men with guns from the government to force Individuals and groups of Individuals to relinquish their right to property, then you're not a friend to Individual Liberty. After all, the principal underlying support for the very rights to Life and Liberty themselves is the right to one's property. This was Gary Johnson's open contention. And under the banner of Liberty, no less. Now think about that.

Not to mention that Johnson also contended taht he'd consider signing off on an illegal transfer of power from the people to a sitting president solely.

My final thought on it is that anyone who claims to support the cause of Individual Liberty, and in the same breath would vote for Gary Johnson, knowing his position on this one thing alone, has some serious learning to do about the cause. These are fundamentals. The most fundamental of fundamental. Johnson's position was aggressive toward the concept of Individual Liberty's most principal, dependent, support.

This is far more dangerous toward the cause of Individual Liberty than anything that Clinton and Trump said. Johnson's position was/is aggressive toward Individual Liberty's most fundamental principle. He was its most dangerous aggressor in the 2016 general election because he openly opposed its most fundamental foundation.

Origanalist
01-03-2017, 09:54 PM
The best thing to come out of 2016 is Hillary isn't president. And Gary really had nothing to do with it as far as I can tell.

Suzanimal
01-03-2017, 10:11 PM
Thanks, Gary.

http://i.imgur.com/Qv7UMi7.gif

http://i.imgur.com/wlRZwfN.gif

Brian4Liberty
01-03-2017, 10:22 PM
As far as the idea that Johnson himself brought new voters to the Libertarian Party, I'll call bullshit on that.

And I've been saying that all along...

I haven't been this excited about a Libertarian nominee since Bob Barr...

/s

Doesn't matter though. It's a protest vote, and a vote to keep a third party alive. Johnson qualifies to fill that role.

We need two options on the ballot that would be added together for final count purposes, but could be separated for analysis.

- Johnson/Weld
- Libertarian Party

That way people could vote Libertarian Party without anyone mistaking it for support of Johnson/Weld and some of their positions.

Actually, let me correct that. We won't see if it brings him voters. More than any other election in recent history, a vote for the Libertarian will have much less to do with the candidate or his positions, and everything to do with not voting for Trump or Hillary.

specsaregood
01-03-2017, 10:25 PM
Thanks, Gary.

http://i.imgur.com/Qv7UMi7.gif

http://i.imgur.com/wlRZwfN.gif

She's ^ right, ya know.

William Tell
01-03-2017, 11:18 PM
Thank You, Gary Johnson, for Being the Best Thing in 2016! Wow. I didn't realize 2016 was that bad.

oyarde
01-03-2017, 11:55 PM
Clinton and Trump got the Libertarian party those votes .

heavenlyboy34
01-04-2017, 12:26 AM
Silly Nick, Vermin Supreme was the best. THE BEST.

Weston White
01-04-2017, 12:33 AM
Alex Jones has stated his interview with Johnson was totally strange and he would never have him back on as a guest again. So things have to be pretty screwy about Johnson for AJ to publicly state his refusal to interview such a public figure.

milgram
01-04-2017, 02:05 AM
Tom Woods has been wondering why he's always the one pushing the envelope as an old fuddy duddy, while the hip leather jackets take the most tepid positions possible

vita3
01-04-2017, 02:40 AM
A very strong Libetarian candidate could have done well in 2016. Johnson seemed to play the part of a clown & a stoner.

Wasted opportunity

anaconda
01-04-2017, 03:00 AM
Tom Woods has been wondering why he's always the one pushing the envelope as an old fuddy duddy, while the hip leather jackets take the most tepid positions possible

Tom Woods is 44. Nick Gillespie is 53.

P3ter_Griffin
01-04-2017, 09:48 AM
She's ^ right, ya know.

^^ How we supposed to have muh school choice without a DoE!?

Crisis averted.

undergroundrr
01-04-2017, 11:04 AM
I agree with everything Nick said except the part about people screwing themselves. That's just rude and insensitive.

euphemia
01-04-2017, 11:06 AM
He was one of the biggest embarrassments of 2016, in my opinion. I hope he retires quietly and just stays out of sight.

What a goober, and not a Libertarian goober.

brushfire
01-04-2017, 11:08 AM
She's ^ right, ya know.

She really is... That was one of the most desperate tactics - a complete setback. If you're going to commit suicide, try not to take everyone with you...

Heck, I was really regretting not voting for J McAfee when Gary left the reservation. What a missed opportunity - since trump proved that a complete unapologetic a-hole is capable of winning POTUS, McAfee totally had a chance to bag it...

H. E. Panqui
01-04-2017, 05:38 PM
...bravo to libertarians criticizing gary johnson!...mockery, disgust, condemnation, etc., to [stinking] republicans criticizing gary johnson!!... :rolleyes:

01-04-2017, 06:27 PM
I like Johnson. I voted for Johnson twice. But he did kind of blow it. He had some good numbers and didn't capitalize on it. His interviews and demeanor weren't as serious as they should have been. Oh well I'm glad he ran and was there as an alternative. I do think if he actually million to one had become potus, he would have done a fine job.

ThePaleoLibertarian
01-04-2017, 06:42 PM
Gillespie is an idiot. It amazes me how libertarians cling to failure.