PDA

View Full Version : Police want Alexa Data in Murder Case but Amazon.com Won't Give it Up

Created4
12-28-2016, 11:46 AM
Can Alexa help solve a murder? Police think so — but Amazon won’t give up her data.

from Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/12/28/can-alexa-help-solve-a-murder-police-think-so-but-amazon-wont-give-up-her-data/?utm_term=.2153ad987b25).

When police responded to a home in Bentonville, Ark., one Sunday morning last November, they discovered Victor Collins's dead body in the backyard. Police records describe a grim scene: Collins's body was floating face up in a hot tub, and his left eye and lips dark and swollen.

The resident who had called 911, James A. Bates, told police that he and a few work buddies, including Collins, had stayed up the night before watching football and drinking. Bates agreed to let two of them crash at his house, he told police, then went to bed. Shortly after he awoke, he claimed he spotted Collins's lifeless body in the spa.

Upon further investigation, however, police began suspecting foul play: Broken knobs and bottles, as well as blood spots around the tub, suggested there had been a struggle. A few days later, the Arkansas chief medical examiner ruled Collins's death a homicide — and police obtained a search warrant for Bates's home.

Inside, detectives discovered a bevy of “smart home” devices, including a Nest thermometer, a Honeywell alarm system, a wireless weather monitoring system and an Amazon Echo. Police seized the Echo and served a warrant to Amazon, noting in the affidavit there was “reason to believe that Amazon.com is in possession of records related to a homicide investigation being conducted by the Bentonville Police Department.”

That allegation — that the Echo is possibly recording at all times without the “wake word” being issued — is incorrect, according to an Amazon spokesperson. The device is constantly listening but not recording, and nothing is streamed to or stored in the cloud without the wake word being detected.

Amazon, for its part, has refused to comply with the warrants, according to court records. A company spokeswoman said she could not comment on this specific case.

“Amazon will not release customer information without a valid and binding legal demand properly served on us,” a company spokeswoman said in an email to The Post. “Amazon objects to overbroad or otherwise inappropriate demands as a matter of course.”

luctor-et-emergo
12-28-2016, 11:59 AM
Can Alexa help solve a murder? Police think so — but Amazon won’t give up her data.

from Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/12/28/can-alexa-help-solve-a-murder-police-think-so-but-amazon-wont-give-up-her-data/?utm_term=.2153ad987b25).

Odd.. Isn't saying "Sorry, we don't have that data." a better way of dealing with this for Amazon ?

It almost sounds like the damn thing IS recording 24/7 but Amazon doesn't want to admit to that.

BTW, it should not be hard to figure out/measure if that device is recording and transmitting data 24/7.

Anyways, wtf is an "Amazon Echo".

offtopic, I know someone who has a smart-house... Basically everything is computer controlled and automatic. It's fun and useful but at times can be extremely frustrating... A well planned 'dumb' house may save the user a lot of irritations in the long term... Especially when you have older 'smart' systems and there is a new generation with just those functions you were missing. :D

Valli6
12-28-2016, 05:52 PM
Someone gave me one of these for Christmas. Now I have to figure out how to get rid of it without offending the well-intentioned gift-givers.

Anyways, wtf is an "Amazon Echo".

I had no idea either, but have looked into it out of necessity. It's a wireless, cylindrical, 9" tall unit which apparently maintains a connection to the internet. Amazon puts it out and it costs about $180 for the main unit and $50 for a smaller "echo dot" which allows you to use all the functions upstairs, too. I have both. :(

As I understand it, when you call it by it's name, "Alexa" and ask it a question, it hears you and is supposed to get the info and speak the answer out loud for you. You can also use it to turn your lights on and off or tell it to play certain music for you. I suppose it can control other appliances, but I think you have to download an app for each thing you want it to do. I guess the idea is to make your house "smart", which I have no intention of doing. And of course there are serious privacy concerns.

I hate it! HATE IT! HATE IT!

Checking the reviews on amazon, some people love it, but many suggest they can't get it to do much of anything and it still has too many bugs. Some complaints: Alexa is frequently unable to find answers to questions. - Too many apps to download. - Most functions require you to sign up and pay for a service. - "It's just a tool for selling you crap"...

Dr.3D
12-28-2016, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't even think about getting one, at least till it can make me a sammitch.

Lord Xar
12-28-2016, 07:39 PM
I heard Google Home is pretty good - actually answers questions and finds solutions etc..

BV2
12-28-2016, 09:43 PM
Me thinks struggle and emerge nailed it.

Weston White
12-29-2016, 07:39 AM
"It's just a tool for selling you crap"...

Welcome to the i-Jobs-whatever generation.

timosman
01-13-2017, 12:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9bUB7_AcPE