PDA

View Full Version : hightimes ad...good or bad?

caradeporra
12-09-2007, 08:27 PM
I hate to be the negative nancy here, but i can just see the media jumping all over the hightimes ad...in a negative way. Yes, a lot of people would like legalized marijuana, but their are also a lot of conservatives who do not. An ad in the hightimes could be devastating. I think we should stick with some better, more honorable venues (i am not hating on anyone here, just brainstorming.)

dont forget to check out BlitzTheMedia.com for the december 14th media blitz!
raise attention on the blimp, teaparty, and most importantly, Dr. Paul!!

Man from La Mancha
12-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Every ad is good, the freedom message brings people togeather.

hambone1982
12-09-2007, 08:29 PM
I think that any press that we get out of this will do more good than harm. I say go for it.

senorironclad
12-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Now is not the time to be afraid.

StumbleBum7
12-09-2007, 08:30 PM
i personally dont live my life to make other happy. So what if the MSM doesn't like it? Paul said have fun and spread it, this is spreading it. I don't watch the news or TV at all other then for Hockey... So i could care less, this would get some more votes and you know people who smoke/want it legalized would pass the word on, and bands that promote the legalization of it may hop on... like the Kottonmouth Kings. I used to be a fan of theres but there music changed, but i know they read the magazine and I know they would love Ron Paul and they have a BIG following

fourameuphoria
12-09-2007, 08:32 PM
By God, I for one hope the press picks it up, ala the Nevada Pimp. We need people talking about the drug war front and center. It is 70 years of a failed policy, and needs to be killed. At first people will react negative to it, but a few simple facts will almost instantly convert all but the most stubborn.

Hurricane Bruiser
12-09-2007, 08:33 PM
I tend to disagree. We need to expand our support and while I have been a solid GOP voter, I've long thought that drugs should be legalized because of the negative effect the drug war has on personal liberty and the additional crime that results from the illegal market (It's also unconstitutional).

yongrel
12-09-2007, 08:33 PM
I have a hard time seeing the MSM give a lot of attention this. I think it would only be good.

rasheedwallace
12-09-2007, 08:34 PM
i don't care about conservatives, they are a lost cause.

i DO care about marijuana.

tamor
We are not saying Ron Paul wants it legalized (or not), we are saying he wants the Federal Government out of the regulation of it. He wants to leave it up to the states. That is an easy message to explain to anyone that questions it.

Richandler
It's good with the principals of freedom. To not air it for pollitical reason makes you no different that all the corrupt politicians today.

tamor
12-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Think about how much space would be freed up in our jails if the non-violent weed smokers that had a small amount of weed on them at the time of arrest, were let go.

Shink
I think it's good overall. What's High Times' readership?

Melissa
And Dr. Paul has talked about Marijuana specifically at rallies I have been at and watched on here. Come on read the research on this drug it is way less harmful then anything you can get legally. Look at just the drugs that our kids on. This is a real medically useful plant with real survival cases and 0 And I mean 0 death rates. So I say go for the add. I used to sell Magazines and this one does have a lot of subscribers.

DrNoZone
12-09-2007, 08:37 PM
I hate to be the negative nancy here, but i can just see the media jumping all over the hightimes ad...in a negative way. Yes, a lot of people would like legalized marijuana, but their are also a lot of conservatives who do not. An ad in the hightimes could be devastating. I think we should stick with some better, more honorable venues (i am not hating on anyone here, just brainstorming.)

dont forget to check out BlitzTheMedia.com for the december 14th media blitz!
raise attention on the blimp, teaparty, and most importantly, Dr. Paul!!

Stop worrying so much about the damn media. Especially when it comes to positions that RP actually endorses!

maiki
12-09-2007, 08:40 PM
I think most people who dislike drugs could not care less what High Times has to say about anything, much less ads in it. So I say, go for it.

Bruehound
12-09-2007, 08:40 PM
This issue should no longer be framed liberal vs. conservative as the entire editorial board of the National Review magazine, William F Buckley included, has proclaimed the WOD a failure. Many in the Reagan Administration held the same views. George Schultz, Lyn Nofzinger, Paul Craig Roberts as well as economist Milton Friedman.

Here is the link to the National Review proclamation.
http://www.nationalreview.com/12feb96/drug.html

DahuiHeeNalu
12-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Good i say legalize to my hippy friends and to college kids and boom they are standing there holding signs with me and spreading the word LEGALIZE IT!

PRIEST
12-09-2007, 08:42 PM
GOOD, VERY GOOD.

This is an untapped Ron Paul primary voter BONANZA!

xexkxex
12-09-2007, 08:43 PM

Unless the cost out weighs the benefits.

fortilite
The purpose of targeted ads is that the people they are targeting are the ones most likely to see them. A Hightimes style ad in a major newspaper would be bad, a Hightimes style ad in Hightimes is good.

AtomiC
The one major selling point that brought me over to the light side was that Ron Paul wanted to totally end the War on Drugs!!! I am sure that if many other stoners/hippies heard about Ron Paul and his message they would very likely vote for him.

Its a GREAT idea!!!

DirtMcGirt
12-09-2007, 08:48 PM
they should want to do a story on him. send them some nice emails... we shouldn't have to pay

bgoldwater
12-09-2007, 08:49 PM
You are free to choose what to do with your money. But, I would spend it more wisely.

NewEnd
12-09-2007, 08:50 PM
i don't care about conservatives, they are a lost cause.

i DO care about marijuana.

LoL

Why am I here?

Because ron paul is the only one actively opposing the war on drugs. Without that, I'd probably be all for Richardson

xexkxex
12-09-2007, 08:52 PM
I asked this in the last thread and did not get an answer.

What is the circulation???

What is the price???

Given these two factors, how much is it going got cost to reach each subscriber.

And given that each subscriber does not read all of each issue and that most of then do not vote....is it worth it????

..this is basic stuff guys...

terryp
12-09-2007, 09:00 PM
There are many people who support RP for this reason. It would be a good idea to check and make sure there is nothing in the add that is Inflammatory or incorrect.
I would hate for something to get blown out proportion just to make him out as something that he is not.
I'm not saying it is a bad idea to have the add, but I think it should be a little more mainstream and easier to swallow. We do need all the help we can get.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Ending the drug war is what turned my friend into a Ron Paul supporter.

1913_to_2008
12-09-2007, 09:29 PM
There are millions of people who read high times. IMHO this is the most targeted advertisement we could RUN. Where else are potentially 100% of the readers going to like Ron Paul's message. These people will love him and this ad alone will give us 100,000's of voters.

For that price this is the best deal. We should hit up every marijuana magazine/website(marijuana.com)

OKRonPaul
12-09-2007, 09:30 PM
they already know, no point in adding something concrete that could be used against us. please don't

xexkxex
12-09-2007, 09:35 PM
There are millions of people who read high times. IMHO this is the most targeted advertisement we could RUN. Where else are potentially 100% of the readers going to like Ron Paul's message. These people will love him and this ad alone will give us 100,000's of voters.

For that price this is the best deal. We should hit up every marijuana magazine/website(marijuana.com)

I like how you pulled those number out of no where....but I was referring to contacting the publication and getting real numbers so that those of us who have money to spend can make an educated decision.

This is real...just because we want to put adds in High Times and think it is cool does not mean it is the best investment.

Rational and truthful debate is always a plus when spending large amounts of money.

So once again...i will refer to my previous statement for a third time...

I asked this in the last thread and did not get an answer.

What is the circulation???

What is the price???

Given these two factors, how much is it going got cost to reach each subscriber.

And given that each subscriber does not read all of each issue and that most of then do not vote....is it worth it????

..this is basic stuff guys...

GoRon2008
12-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Hey, I cant find the other topic....

This is the add I am working on right now. Anybody like it?

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/RONPAUL-1.jpg

fortilite
12-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Don't worry xexkxex, I have put in an inquiry into readership numbers, amongst other things. I will get the info back tomorrow, it's Sunday night right now.

tfelice
12-09-2007, 09:41 PM
I like how you pulled those number out of no where....but I was referring to contacting the publication and getting real numbers so that those of us who have money to spend can make an educated decision.

I googled it. Circulation is around 200K. There are claims that there pass-along readership is over 2 million, but that's hard to believe. It would mean that every issue is read by 10 people. Doubtful considering High Times isn't in the magazine racks at the barbers or doctor's offices.

As I see it, the negatives far outweigh the positives.

xexkxex
12-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Don't worry xexkxex, I have put in an inquiry into readership numbers, amongst other things. I will get the info back tomorrow, it's Sunday night right now.

Thank you. ;)

I have a feeling that I will through funds at this project.

I just want to know the facts first.

....that is why i have not voted in this poll yet. The facts are needed.;)

90+ people voted without the facts....sort of scary .....

I'll check in from time to time and see how it goes.

dircha
12-09-2007, 09:42 PM
We are not saying Ron Paul wants it legalized (or not), we are saying he wants the Federal Government out of the regulation of it. He wants to leave it up to the states. That is an easy message to explain to anyone that questions it.

It's a shame this is so difficult for so many people to comprehend.

Our public educational institutions have failed.

Time and again, when I speak with average people, they can't understand why just because they think something should be a certain way, it shouldn't necessarily be that way for everyone.

This entire United Nations, International Law, and Human Rights propaganda regime is brainwashing our children.

GoRon2008
12-09-2007, 10:09 PM
another draft....

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/RONPAUL3.jpg

NewEnd
12-09-2007, 10:20 PM
90+ people voted without the facts....sort of scary .....

I'll check in from time to time and see how it goes.

whoa whoa whoa... hold on a second. I dont need "the facts". I know these people, I know how much they read these magazines, and I know that they are the easiest demographic of all to reach and convert. Seriously, pot is their favorite subject. And the magazien does get read by more than just the subscriber. Lots of people will read one High times, with keen interest.

And it is one of Dr, Pauls many "kooky" positions, just like having a competing gold based currency, abolishing the IRS, and eliminating the fed.

UCFGavin
12-09-2007, 10:22 PM

agreed. i don't even smoke, but i think its a great ad.

PRIEST
12-09-2007, 10:23 PM
The kind of people that read High Times will not only go out and vote for Ron Paul in the primary, they will tell all their friends about him, too.

Imagine if cheeseburgers were illegal but you loved them oh so much, only able to enjoy them in secrecy! And then in your Cheeseburger Monthly a presidential candidate wanted to decriminalize the object of your passion. Would you not support such a cheeburger freedom fighter!

Luther
12-09-2007, 10:24 PM
they already know, no point in adding something concrete that could be used against us. please don't

Since when is not speaking the truth because it might offend a brainwashed fundamentalist minority a part of the Ron Paul campaign strategy?

If Ron Paul wins this election, it will be because there are enough rational, freedom-loving people in this country, not because his campaign (us) pandered to various fringe special interest groups. What you are suggesting is just that, pandering by silence.

krott5333
12-09-2007, 10:25 PM
there is absolutely no reason to hide or suppress Ron Paul's platform.

I see nothing wrong with such an ad.

carry on.

adpierce
12-09-2007, 10:25 PM
I generally think pot-heads are loser dopeheads... that is generally. There are exceptions as I know a few who are incredibly intelligent, but the great majority that I know are idiots. However I'll fight for the right for idiot loser dopeheads to smoke their wacky tobacky and so will Ron Paul. It's their bodies they have a right to abuse them however they want. Flame me if you will.

Vendico
12-09-2007, 10:27 PM
There are more people that smoke than you think. They should just legalize it already and move on.

FluffyUnbound
12-09-2007, 10:27 PM
I googled it. Circulation is around 200K. There are claims that there pass-along readership is over 2 million, but that's hard to believe. It would mean that every issue is read by 10 people. Doubtful considering High Times isn't in the magazine racks at the barbers or doctor's offices.

Do people act this way when others try to raise tens of thousands of dollars to run ads in Shotgun magazines read by rednecks who are just going to vote for Huckabee or maybe write in their boyfriend W's name a third time?

NewEnd
12-09-2007, 10:29 PM
The kind of people that read High Times will not only go out and vote for Ron Paul in the primary, they will tell all their friends about him, too.

Imagine if cheeseburgers were illegal but you loved them oh so much, only able to enjoy them in secrecy! And then in your Cheeseburger Monthly a presidential candidate wanted to decriminalize the object of your passion. Would you not support such a cheeburger freedom fighter!

CHEESEBURGER FREEDOM FIGHTER!!!!

ilovemypitbull
12-09-2007, 10:32 PM
whoa whoa whoa... hold on a second. I dont need "the facts". I know these people, I know how much they read these magazines, and I know that they are the easiest demographic of all to reach and convert. Seriously, pot is their favorite subject. And the magazien does get read by more than just the subscriber. Lots of people will read one High times, with keen interest.

And it is one of Dr, Pauls many "kooky" positions, just like having a competing gold based currency, abolishing the IRS, and eliminating the fed.

This is 100% correct in my experience as well. There's plenty of pot smokers who don't read High Times, but the ones who do are very pro-legalization / anti-government / rabid audience. It is *brilliant* to target them.

Melissa
12-09-2007, 10:35 PM
I generally think pot-heads are loser dopeheads... that is generally. There are exceptions as I know a few who are incredibly intelligent, but the great majority that I know are idiots. However I'll fight for the right for idiot loser dopeheads to smoke their wacky tobacky and so will Ron Paul. It's their bodies they have a right to abuse them however they want. Flame me if you will.

Oh so many fictional comments in this thread but I will use this one for now. There are many lawyers, doctors, sports stars, teachers, and many more professions that do Marijuana and most like people that drink alcohol after work they never commit a crime or miss work or anything else that people like to say about this drug. Remember there are pills that are worth more your worry and they are legal and deadly

I think what some of you are forgetting is that it is LEGAL in some states so if you are worried about the media having a field day -that is silly

Dr. Paul says that federal gov has no business regulating personal habits-and he would specially never us Federal Agents to go against a state law that is not authorized by the Constitution-as what we put in our body is not any there anywhere. High Times is a respectable magazine for its genre. I worked in a book store for many years.

Luther
12-09-2007, 10:36 PM

I know accountants, computer programmers, historians, musicians, psychologists, and many other highly intelligent people who smoke weed. It's not just something that losers enjoy. I find it much more enjoyable and lacking the negative side effects of alcohol consumption. I would estimate that at least half of the American population has tried marijuana, and one quarter consume it with some regularity. It is the most valuable cash crop in America.

cmc
12-09-2007, 10:38 PM
As I mentioned in a different thread, I really think any ad needs to make clear his legal and constitutional objections to the drug war and not make it appear that RP does or approves of drug use. I'm not against the ad, I just think it needs to be made with care.

Remember, we're trying to win the Republican primary here.

krott5333
12-09-2007, 10:38 PM
dont even bother listening to the naysayers. This is a great idea

DarkLaw
12-09-2007, 10:39 PM
I must preface my comment with the fact that I am a police officer.

I don't 'like' the idea of people consuming harmful substances
[and that includes alcohol, drugs, narcotics, etc] but as a believer
in the Constitution, the 10th Amendment does not give the FedGov
any right to enforce narcotics law. Drugs and narcotics, along with alcohol,
in MODERATION can be fine - the problem is that most people are not
responsible enough "adults" and it leads to problems and safety issues.
Safety issues ARE a valid concern when talking about drugs but I firmly
believe it should be the STATES who control it.

Just like abortion.
If you want to live in and believe in a community that supports pro-choice
and legalizes marijuana/etc - then that's the ENTIRE POINT. You live
within the community that you agree with. If you are more conservative/religious
and feel that drugs are bad, move to a STATE/community which regulates or prohibits it.

I support the position just as Dr. Paul does. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the stuff
BUT I DO believe in personal freedom as long as it harms no one else and following the SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND; The Constitution.

I believe any advertising which supports the Constitution is good publicity.

Revolution9
12-09-2007, 10:41 PM

It is collected and kept for years. It sits on coffee tables and gets thumbed through by house visitors. It is not a news magazine. Ergo its articles do not go out of date as it were. You smoke pot the same ways whether 1770 or 2006.

Best
Randy

adpierce
12-09-2007, 10:44 PM
I anticipated the flames... I'm simply stating the perception that I have is that the overwhelming majority of pot smokers are dope heads. I'm not saying that there aren't exceptions. I'm certain there are... like I said I know some of them. It's not even as though I'm saying pot makes people stupid. I'm just saying that in general a lot of stupid people smoke pot. They were probably stupid before they started smoking pot. I'm sure there are a lot of buisness professionals, suburban housewives, educated elites also smoke pot, my point is that whatever you want to do with you body ... you should be able to do it. I'll defend it very strongly, I'll go so far as to say that the war on drugs is unconstitutional and an extreme violation of personal liberty and freedom. I think that's true. I simply think the demographic of those who use pot is highly slanted towards those who are uneducated. Whether that means the ad will be ineffective I don't know, but generally the uneducated don't vote as much as the more educated.

Vendico
12-09-2007, 10:45 PM
[and that includes alcohol, drugs, narcotics, etc]

I'm glad you didn't list Cannabis as being harmful substance to consume. That, of course, would be fallacy.

Revolution9
12-09-2007, 10:48 PM
I must preface my comment with the fact that I am a police officer.

[and that includes alcohol, drugs, narcotics, etc] but as a believer
in the Constitution, the 10th Amendment does not give the FedGov
any right to enforce narcotics law. Drugs and narcotics, along with alcohol,
in MODERATION can be fine - the problem is that most people are not
responsible enough "adults" and it leads to problems and safety issues.
Safety issues ARE a valid concern when talking about drugs but I firmly
believe it should be the STATES who control it.<snip>.

Typical cop rhetoric. Who the fuck are you to decide that MOST ADULTS are not responsible??.. Kiss my ass pal. I have run into hundreds like you over my 50 years. Our beat cop just retired and now we got two like you we have to start from scratch with and school. I am registering complaints with the other officers at the precinct for their cowboy BS. Leave us locals alone.

This attitude above is WHY the WOD should be stopped. This guy has a bad attitude AND a badge. I don't care what other frills he dressed his miasmic dislocation of respect for American folks and their "adultness" because his central point is basically a judgmental lie to himself to allow him to "intervene" and fuck up peoples lives..

Care to rephrase that OFFICER?

Randy

Vendico
12-09-2007, 10:49 PM
I anticipated the flames... I'm simply stating the perception that I have is that the overwhelming majority of pot smokers are dope heads. I'm not saying that there aren't exceptions. I'm certain there are... like I said I know some of them. It's not even as though I'm saying pot makes people stupid. I'm just saying that in general a lot of stupid people smoke pot. They were probably stupid before they started smoking pot. I'm sure there are a lot of buisness professionals, suburban housewives, educated elites also smoke pot, my point is that whatever you want to do with you body ... you should be able to do it. I'll defend it very strongly, I'll go so far as to say that the war on drugs is unconstitutional and an extreme violation of personal liberty and freedom. I think that's true. I simply think the demographic of those who use pot is highly slanted towards those who are uneducated. Whether that means the ad will be ineffective I don't know, but generally the uneducated don't vote as much as the more educated.

You're right. Most of them are stupid before they smoke. Personally, I believe if taken in moderation, it actually makes you more intelligent. Assuming increased brain cell growth. I read an article last year that it did that in rats. I can't remember how they actually tested it.

Off to bed.

Revolution9
12-09-2007, 10:54 PM

Well..To start with.. The price of pot prohibits low paid people from purchasing. If sinsemilla costs 300 to 400 an ounce just where do these stupid people get their money to buy enough with to be considered a stoner? Your logic fails and your opinions are knee jerk and not what I would consider researched. People smoke pot.. All kinds. You just think that stereotypes smoke it.. That makes you akin to a racist mindset when analysis is applied.

Best Regards
Randy

Vendico
12-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Typical cop rhetoric. Who the fuck are you to decide that MOST ADULTS are not responsible??.. Kiss my ass pal. I have run into hundreds like you over my 50 years. Our beat cop just retired and now we got two like you we have to start from scratch with and school. I am registering complaints with the other officers at the precinct for their cowboy BS. Leave us locals alone.

This attitude above is WHY the WOD should be stopped. This guy has a bad attitude AND a badge. I don't care what other frills he dressed his miasmic dislocation of respect for American folks and their "adultness" because his central point is basically a judgmental lie to himself to allow him to "intervene" and fuck up peoples lives..

Randy

It's hard to blame him for the brainwashing he's gone through in the academy. He'll learn over time that most of it was BS.

Vendico
12-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Well..To start with.. The price of pot prohibits low paid people from purchasing. If sinsemilla costs 300 to 400 an ounce just where do these stupid people get their money to buy enough with to be considered a stoner? Your logic fails and your opinions are knee jerk and not what I would consider researched. People smoke pot.. All kinds. You just think that stereotypes smoke it.. That makes you akin to a racist mindset when analysis is applied.

Best Regards
Randy

QFT

Lord Xar
12-09-2007, 10:56 PM
if you make the ad look unprofessional and promoting drug use, then YES IT WILL BE HORRIBLE AND NEGATIVE...

BUT if you put Ron Paul's economic etc.. stances in there in addition to WHY he wants to legalize marijuana.. then it could be good.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 10:57 PM

Randy

Dude, he just said he thinks it's negative behavior. If you said people watch too much TV it doesn't mean you think they are not responsible. It's just a bad habit.

Signed,

Pot smoker and friend of the police
Ryan Pierce

OKRonPaul
12-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Since when is not speaking the truth because it might offend a brainwashed fundamentalist minority a part of the Ron Paul campaign strategy?

If Ron Paul wins this election, it will be because there are enough rational, freedom-loving people in this country, not because his campaign (us) pandered to various fringe special interest groups. What you are suggesting is just that, pandering by silence.

yeah, i probably am suggesting pandering. And I full on 110% support legalization of pot. Trash the farm subsidies and legalize growing pot/hemp and the net benefit for our country is huge.

trying to explain/defend this position on national tv in 30 second spots would cost a fortune though.

that said, i'm don't feel so strongly that i'd coninue to argue, i have raised my point which i'd hope you all would consider, and i trust in paul.

tfelice
12-10-2007, 06:01 AM
It is collected and kept for years. It sits on coffee tables and gets thumbed through by house visitors. It is not a news magazine. Ergo its articles do not go out of date as it were. You smoke pot the same ways whether 1770 or 2006.

Best
Randy

Well if that's the case, then the actual circulation number is the only one that matters, since the ad calls for near immediate action. Someone thumbing through the magazine a year or two from now is insignificant.

So it is a very small audience who traditionally does not vote in large numbers, and usually votes Democratic. As I said before the negatives far outweigh the positives, as mainstream GOP voters will not be too thrilled with a candidate is advertised in High Times.

Personally, I think the effect of the ad will swing many Huck/Paul fencesitters over to Huck's side.