PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul military donations

Mithridates
12-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Just noticed something weird on the blog here on the Univision debate:

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/12/09/507149.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage

NBC/NJ's Matthew E. Berger adds Paul claimed that his anti-war stance has garnered him the most donations from the armed services and military veterans. He bases that on reviews of Federal Election Commission reports for the third quarter of 2007, and the amount of donations from people who listed military branches as their employer or listed themselves as a veteran. Using that scenario, according to pro-Paul blogs, Paul garnered $22,140 from military veterans, surpassing McCain, who had $16,675.The truth is, though, that many people don't list their employers or the fact that they are a military veteran, so the numbers may not be entirely accurate.

Why qualify the numbers with that last statement at the end? Also, does the author not realize that if the numbers are inaccurate that could also mean that Ron Paul has an even larger majority than the others?

hellah10
12-09-2007, 08:14 PM
yea they may not be accurate... because they could be MORE

vets have civilian jobs

Jodi
12-09-2007, 08:17 PM
The truth is you are required to list your employer if your donation is over 200.00

rory096
12-09-2007, 08:18 PM
From the other thread:

This is like saying that polling a random, say, 50% of the population doesn't give you an accurate view of the whole population's stance. Unless there's some reason why this sample would be self-selecting (ie, why Paul supporters would be more likely to write down their employer), then this is still random, so it's pretty accurate.

klamath
12-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Yeaw it might be more. In the third quarter I stated my current occupation but in this last quarter I stated retired military.

Hurricane Bruiser
12-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Well the amount contributed by the military could in all reality be higher for all the candidates than what is reported on the FEC reports. However, I would think any deviation from the filed reports would be similar percentage wise for any candidate and so I still think it is completely accurate to claim that Ron Paul receives the most donations.

xerigen
12-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Yeah and Rudy says he can handle today's foreign policy when he had to govern a city, meaning he doesn't necessarily know how to handle foreign policy. They wouldn't even consider posting something like that, I don't understand the need for them to try to discredit Ron Paul.

yongrel
12-09-2007, 08:33 PM
I expect the number is probably far more.

Give me liberty
12-09-2007, 08:49 PM
I think the author is upset about that ron paul has more donations from the militray thats why i think he said that.