PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Joe Manchin; 'We need to declare a war on drugs'

Origanalist
12-21-2016, 08:24 AM
Washington (CNN)

Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin called for a new "war on drugs" Tuesday to combat the opioid crisis striking his state of West Virginia, eagerly adopting the language of the now much-criticized Nixon-era push to curb illicit substance use.

"We need to declare a war on drugs," Manchin told CNN's Jake Tapper on "The Lead" when asked what President-elect Donald Trump should do to combat the situation.

"We've got some places that are really having some success rates, Jake, and most of them are run by reformed addicts," Manchin said.
As an example, the senator said children who began using recreational marijuana eventually could progress to their parents' prescriptions and then later routinely take heroin. "It's just been unbelievable," Manchin said, adding that opioid pills are prescribed "like M&M's."
A report by West Virginia's Charleston Gazette-Mail this weekend detailed how drug firms have sent hundreds of millions of painkiller drugs into the state as overdoses spiked.

Yet the "war on drugs" -- a national commitment unveiled by Richard Nixon in 1971 -- is now largely ridiculed today given the prevalence of drugs use and the price-tag of the efforts to curb the production and sale of illicit substances. Several states in recent years have decriminalized or even legalized recreational marijuana, including California, Massachusetts and Nevada in the most recent election cycle.

Manchin's daughter, Heather Bresch, is the CEO of Mylan, which produces opioids. His campaign committee also has received about $180,000 in donations from the pharmaceuticals/health products industry between 2011-2016, according to Open Secrets, a nonpartisan, nonprofit group that keeps track of money in politics.

DamianTV
12-21-2016, 09:55 AM
Solution: We need to declare a Legal War on Sen Joe Manchin as anyone who opposes drugs that harshly most likely personally benefits from it.

Anti Federalist
12-21-2016, 09:58 AM
Clueless...

JK/SEA
12-21-2016, 10:05 AM
how about a war on fucktards...

mrsat_98
12-21-2016, 10:29 AM
Why don't we just declare each other then enemy and get it over with all ready ? My bad that happened years ago.

Slave Mentality
12-21-2016, 10:37 AM
Suck a dick Munchkin.

Origanalist
12-21-2016, 11:02 AM
how about a war on fucktards...

I dunno, these wars don't seem to be working out very well. They would just proliferate.

Matt Collins
12-21-2016, 11:06 AM
Sounds to me like he is about to switch parties to save his own career.

CaptUSA
12-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Didn't we already do that?

There certainly seems to be plenty of POW's.

anaconda
12-21-2016, 01:40 PM
Clueless...

Sadly, he may know exactly what he's doing. This rhetoric gives political capital to the security state and helps finance black budget projects. It's probably required talking points for federal legislators. If they want to get reelected, avoid IRS audits, and not have embarrassing photos released on the internet.

Kotin
12-21-2016, 02:12 PM
remember.. War on " " = Subsidize " "

be it poverty, drugs, etc..

Tywysog Cymru
12-21-2016, 03:43 PM
Sounds to me like he is about to switch parties to save his own career.

He voted for Obamacare IIRC? If so, he could face a difficult primary challenge in 2018 should he switch parties.

Ender
12-21-2016, 04:15 PM

Yep.

And wealthier alphabets.

pcosmar
12-21-2016, 07:41 PM
One of these days we need to Declare War on drug warriors Social Controllers.

DGambler
12-21-2016, 07:48 PM
If I could have easily gotten marijuana consistently, and had it been legal when I was a teenager, I don't think I would have experimented with other things.

heavenlyboy34
12-21-2016, 08:12 PM

Yup. Drugs won, so they want a re-do of teh war. :rolleyes: :P

Matt Collins
12-22-2016, 09:58 PM
He voted for Obamacare IIRC? If so, he could face a difficult primary challenge in 2018 should he switch parties.
Yes but that seat will probably flip Republican next time. So his only chance of staying in the Senate is becoming a Republican.

ChristianAnarchist
12-22-2016, 10:02 PM
"I fought the drugs and the drugs won... I fought the drugs and the drugs won."