PDA

View Full Version : Deep Freeze mission to Antarctica begins

timosman
12-18-2016, 01:05 PM
https://www.airforcetimes.com/articles/operation-deep-freeze-begins

By: Stephen Losey, October 19, 2016

http://snagfilms-a.akamaihd.net/f3/b4/d3801a4043898166f03dcb3b83ad/deep-freeze-lc-130-2.jpg

The first of roughly 500 airmen have begun flying in ski-equipped planes to Antarctica to begin the Air Force's annual Operation Deep Freeze mission.

Each year, the New York Air National Guard's 109th Airlift Wing flies hundreds of missions providing airlift within Antarctica as part of Deep Freeze. The operation is the military component of the National Science Foundation-run U.S. Antarctic Program.

In a Wednesday release, Air Mobility Command said 23 airmen and two ski-equipped LC-130 Hercules aircraft left Stratton Air National Guard Base in Scotia, New York, Tuesday. The first LC-130 to depart from Stratton took off Oct. 14 and is now in Christchurch, New Zealand, readying for the last leg of its journey before arriving in Antarctica. And two more LC-130s will take off within the week, AMC said.

By the time the operation ends in February 2017, six LC-130s will have deployed and brought 500 airmen to Antarctica, with roughly 120 deployed at any given time, AMC said. The Air Force said there will be between 300 and 350 missions during the operation.

http://snagfilms-a.akamaihd.net/f4/74/9912195a4b498e3fda67f26d3ca7/deep-freeze-lc-130.JPG
Airmen unload fuel and cargo from a New York Air National Guard LC-130 during a 2005 mission to Antarctica as part of Operation Deep Freeze.

The 109th airmen will fly from McMurdo Station -- the logistics hub of the Antarctic Program, established 61 years ago on bare volcanic rock on Ross Island -- to transport scientists, support, fuel, medical supplies, and other necessities. AMC said during the last season in 2015 and 2016, the 109th flew about 3,900 researchers and support staff, 4 million pounds of cargo, and 1.2 million pounds of fuel to research stations throughout Antarctica.

AMC also said the crews will fly missions to support the Common Science Support Pod ice imaging system, with IcePod equipment that can measure the depth of an ice sheet.

In the release, AMC said the LC-130's ski landing gear makes it a one-of-a-kind aircraft and allows it to land on snow and ice.

"Just the capability of landing heavy on the snow is a unique operational capability that only the United States has [and] that only we have at this unit," Col. Christian Sander, 109th Operations Group commander, said in the release.

TheTexan
12-18-2016, 01:11 PM
In the release, AMC said the LC-130's ski landing gear makes it a one-of-a-kind aircraft and allows it to land on snow and ice.

This will be really helpful when we go to war with Russia

luctor-et-emergo
12-18-2016, 02:01 PM
Nice pics of the rocket assisted takeoff.... :)

TheCount
12-18-2016, 03:44 PM
This is the defense force that kills anyone who attempts to reach the ice wall at the edge of the world.

Jamesiv1
12-18-2016, 04:05 PM
"Just the capability of landing heavy on the snow is a unique operational capability that only the United States has [and] that only we have at this unit," Col. Christian Sander, 109th Operations Group commander, said in the release.
putting skis on a plane is a technological wonder..??

pcosmar
12-18-2016, 04:20 PM
putting skis on a plane is a technological wonder..??

Apparently.

http://esask.uregina.ca/management/app/assets/img/enc2/selectedbig/51C173EB-1560-95DA-4332F5800AF3E381.jpg

Seraphim
12-18-2016, 04:34 PM
Something is going on. Over the last year the number of high profile people going to Antarctica has been....weird...

The Pope and Russian high priest met for the first time in 1000 years. The day after the latter immediately flew to Antarctica. John Kerry went there on the day of the US election just over a month ago. Putin is going soon. The list goes on.

I have no idea what it is, but there is something major going on between the Nations of the world and Antarctica is the center point.

pcosmar
12-18-2016, 04:47 PM
Something is going on. Over the last year the number of high profile people going to Antarctica has been....weird...

The Pope and Russian high priest met for the first time in 1000 years. The day after the latter immediately flew to Antarctica. John Kerry went there on the day of the US election just over a month ago. Putin is going soon. The list goes on.

I have no idea what it is, but there is something major going on between the Nations of the world and Antarctica is the center point.

It's the global warming..
they're just chillin'

surf
12-18-2016, 05:03 PM
Nice pics of the rocket assisted takeoff.... :)thanks. I wouldn't have noticed that. this just reaffirms that my money is going to good stuff that will help our planet.... imagine the new information "scientists" can gather from hanging out and studying shit where it's really cold?

I mean, would such dignitaries as mentioned above dare travel to such diplomatic hotspots to address and help and bless those in need without this?

Working Poor
12-18-2016, 07:45 PM
Their giant Lizard god is starting to hatch out of it's pod due to global warming:cool:

Seraphim
12-18-2016, 09:18 PM
Their giant Lizard god is starting to hatch out of it's pod due to global warming:cool:

Godzilla?

That might be pretty cool. :-)

timosman
12-18-2016, 09:34 PM

Nah, we are probably late with our electricity bill. They are slowly turning heating off.

luctor-et-emergo
12-19-2016, 12:04 PM
thanks. I wouldn't have noticed that. this just reaffirms that my money is going to good stuff that will help our planet.... imagine the new information "scientists" can gather from hanging out and studying shit where it's really cold?

I mean, would such dignitaries as mentioned above dare travel to such diplomatic hotspots to address and help and bless those in need without this?

I do not know but I do know that I would like to strap one of those RATO units to a glider and try it out. :D