PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Russia rigged US elections?

enhanced_deficit
12-17-2016, 11:26 AM
Do you think Russia rigged US elections?
Vote.

Working Poor
12-17-2016, 11:57 AM
No I don't.

nikcers
12-17-2016, 12:03 PM
I don't think Russia rigged anything. Russia doesn't have to do that, they just have to make us doubt the process. The best way to destroy a democracy is within. They are definitely doing their best to troll Americans into losing any trust we had in the government. I think Russia had more influence on the US election then I did. I had more democrats come up to me in a blue state and tell me that they were voting for Trump because otherwise we would be going to war with Russia then Trump supporters telling me to vote to make our Country great again.

12-17-2016, 12:17 PM
Rigged? No.

Tilted the table a bit? Maybe.

So what if they did, it's not like the US has never meddled in a foreign election before. It was bound to come back at us eventually.

oyarde
12-17-2016, 01:20 PM
I voted no .

nobody's_hero
12-17-2016, 03:45 PM
I don't think Russia rigged anything. Russia doesn't have to do that, they just have to make us doubt the process. The best way to destroy a democracy is within. They are definitely doing their best to troll Americans into losing any trust we had in the government. I think Russia had more influence on the US election then I did. I had more democrats come up to me in a blue state and tell me that they were voting for Trump because otherwise we would be going to war with Russia then Trump supporters telling me to vote to make our Country great again.

They were a bit late for that.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I think the MSM did the most damage. Poll after poll released and pushed as undeniable truth of overwhelming support for Hillary. How many times did I say on these forums before Russia was even mentioned, that people were grossly underestimating Trump's popularity? He wasn't a great candidate in terms of policies proposed, but charismatic nonetheless. The media went 'all in' this election pushing a narrative that was drastically opposed to reality, and have no credibility chips left to bet.

Russia did not make my mother, who has not voted in decades, go out and vote to try to stop Hillary. She did that herself.

Everything about HRC was fake. Probably what pushed my mom over the edge to go out and vote was the absolute JOKE of a rally where Beyoncé and JayZ and some foul-mouthed gangsta rapper no one has ever even heard of performed in front of a crowd of ten people dressed up to look like an enthusiastic rally, lmao. Then Hillary gets up on stage after their performance where they rap about raping women and killing shit and selling drugs and says some scripted bullsh1t about 'isn't it great to see all these wonderful young people getting involved' or some sh1t like that. It was all very fucking surreal.

Russia had nothing to do with any of that. Faith in the MSM is at an all time low. They can't even talk about the weather now without people assuming they're lying.

nikcers
12-17-2016, 05:45 PM

I think the MSM did the most damage.
Russia had nothing to do with any of that. Faith in the MSM is at an all time low. They can't even talk about the weather now without people assuming they're lying.

Yeah but I would argue that the Russians are digging into open wounds that the MSM created. You can' blame the MSM for creating these wounds, but Russia is still "damaging" our reputation abroad and make it to no one takes us seriously when we criticize other nations and won't be an example for how democracy can work. Lots of people hate democracy, the only thing that makes it keep going is confidence, its the same thing that makes our dollars have value. So when the government says the Russians "hacked" us, I don't think they are literally tampering with our electronic communications, I think they are playing mind games.

They are influencing our thoughts and ideas. All it would take for the general election is a whole lot of online Russians pretending to be Americans advocating for people to stay home or vote against their interests because of their lack of faith in the system. Or even pretending to be Clinton supporters after the general election demanding to have the votes recounted because they were cheated. This could absolute change peoples opinion on democracy, so they no longer think it "works". They might even demand or even vote to have an authoritarian come in to save them from democracy.

Weston White
12-18-2016, 01:19 AM
If by "Russians" you mean the Obama-Clinton's administration and by "rigged" you mean the coup de grâce of American democracy. Then yes, I do.

nobody's_hero
12-18-2016, 06:56 AM
Yeah but I would argue that the Russians are digging into open wounds that the MSM created. You can' blame the MSM for creating these wounds, but Russia is still "damaging" our reputation abroad and make it to no one takes us seriously when we criticize other nations and won't be an example for how democracy can work. Lots of people hate democracy, the only thing that makes it keep going is confidence, its the same thing that makes our dollars have value. So when the government says the Russians "hacked" us, I don't think they are literally tampering with our electronic communications, I think they are playing mind games.

They are influencing our thoughts and ideas. All it would take for the general election is a whole lot of online Russians pretending to be Americans advocating for people to stay home or vote against their interests because of their lack of faith in the system. Or even pretending to be Clinton supporters after the general election demanding to have the votes recounted because they were cheated. This could absolute change peoples opinion on democracy, so they no longer think it "works". They might even demand or even vote to have an authoritarian come in to save them from democracy.

The only thing Russia is damaging (if they are responsible, which itself has yet to be proven) is the faith of the people who still believe in the electoral system. That's practically 0% of the Ron Paul community. Apparently 100% of the Democrats who probably should just stop voting anyway. And the GOP is likely torn, at least for the moment, between neocons who think Putin is Satan and the rest of the GOP who don't care because their guy won.

In other words, it's not nearly as big of a deal as you think, even if it is true.

If anything, they're not damaging the democratic process itself. They're damaging people's faith in the DNC, rightfully so, to which I say: 1 party down, 1 to go.

If I may expand a bit more:

Are you certain that democracy has been working? That's a million dollar question, for sure.

I'll go even deeper, at risk of blowing some minds:

This year has been the closest I've ever seen democracy come to actually working. For once, people were armed with information about things that went on behind the scenes at the DNC (probably thanks to some teenager hacking from mom's basement, or maybe even a disgruntled Bernie Sanders supporter, for all we know)—information that wasn't supposed to be released to the public and yet was, through Wikileaks, a generally trusted source, so that they could instead make a more informed (though perhaps not FULLY informed) decision on election day. Regardless of who is responsible for that happening, I feel I owe them a debt of gratitude. We've still got a LOOOONG way to go.

Before now, it's all been MSM telling people what to believe and lemmings just going out and confirming that narrative at the ballot box. That is in NO WAY any semblance of a "working democracy." But that's just how I see it, and I'm guessing most of the world was laughing at us the whole time already, when we thumped our chests and talked about how great that system was.

Dark_Horse_Rider
12-18-2016, 07:18 AM

I think the MSM did the most damage. Poll after poll released and pushed as undeniable truth of overwhelming support for Hillary. How many times did I say on these forums before Russia was even mentioned, that people were grossly underestimating Trump's popularity? He wasn't a great candidate in terms of policies proposed, but charismatic nonetheless. The media went 'all in' this election pushing a narrative that was drastically opposed to reality, and have no credibility chips left to bet.

Russia did not make my mother, who has not voted in decades, go out and vote to try to stop Hillary. She did that herself.

Everything about HRC was fake. Probably what pushed my mom over the edge to go out and vote was the absolute JOKE of a rally where Beyoncé and JayZ and some foul-mouthed gangsta rapper no one has ever even heard of performed in front of a crowd of ten people dressed up to look like an enthusiastic rally, lmao. Then Hillary gets up on stage after their performance where they rap about raping women and killing $#@! and selling drugs and says some scripted bullsh1t about 'isn't it great to see all these wonderful young people getting involved' or some sh1t like that. It was all very $#@!ing surreal.

exactly this !

nicely summarized