PDA

View Full Version : Trump Picks Mick Mulvaney, South Carolina Congressman, as Budget Director

Krugminator2
12-16-2016, 10:28 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/16/us/politics/mick-mulvaney-office-management-budget-trump.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald J. Trump (http://www.nytimes.com/topic/person/donald-trump?inline=nyt-per) has selected Representative Mick Mulvaney of South Carolina, a conservative Republican member of the House and a fierce advocate of deep spending cuts, to be his budget director.
“He’s a tremendous talent, especially when it comes to numbers and budgets,” Mr. Trump said in a statement.
Mr. Mulvaney, 49, helped found the House Freedom Caucus, the group of conservative lawmakers who pushed for Speaker John A. Boehner to resign. As budget director, Mr. Mulvaney would help guide the president-elect’s promise of a repeal of the Affordable Care Act, a tax overhaul and a huge investment in the nation’s infrastructure.

Trump's cabinet is getting pretty solid. Putting Mick Mulvaney in charge of the budget isn't far off from putting Ron Paul in this position. Mulvaney was one of the few people who attended Ron Paul's Liberty Caucus meetings and he endorsed Rand early on. I have no idea how putting this guy in charge of the budget squares with Trump's trillion dollar infrastructure plan. But this is an A++ choice. You really can't do better.

CPUd
12-16-2016, 10:32 PM
This was a good pick.

Sentinelrv
12-17-2016, 02:53 PM
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/justinholcomb/2016/12/17/rep-mick-mulvaney-picked-to-head-budget-office-n2260967

President-elect Donald Trump has chosen Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-S.C.) as his director of the Office of Management and Budget, a move that will surely*cut spending and address the deficit problems in the United States.

If confirmed by the Senate, Mulvaney would be charged with putting together Mr. Trump’s initial budget proposal to Congress, which is likely to include campaign promises such as the repeal of the Affordable Care Act, an overhaul of the tax code and an infrastructure-spending program., according to the*Wall Street Journal.

“He’s a tremendous talent, especially when it comes to numbers and budgets,” Mr. Trump said in a statement.

Rand and Amash seem to approve...

- https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/809960138580852736

- https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/809909164222935040

fcreature
12-17-2016, 03:03 PM
Definitely one of the better choices thus far.

Zippyjuan
12-17-2016, 03:08 PM
a move that will surely*cut spending and address the deficit problems in the United States.

Of course that is up to Congress which writes and passes the budget- they are responsible for that. The only thing a President can actually do is sign or veto it. And with all the new things Trump wants to spend more money on and his tax cut proposals, the budget and deficits are likely to soar if approved. A $trillion on "infrastructure". Another $trillion on an awesome defense department. More money for veterans. $billions on his wall. $2 trillion in tax cuts for the wealthy. They aren't going to be anywhere close to balancing the budget.

an overhaul of the tax code and an infrastructure-spending program

LifeLibertyPursuit
12-17-2016, 04:18 PM
Debbie downer^

CPUd
12-17-2016, 06:31 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?505465-Trump-Picks-Mick-Mulvaney-South-Carolina-Congressman-as-Budget-Director

Krugminator2
12-17-2016, 07:04 PM
It is interesting how little attention this is getting. A thread about Barack Obama having a fake birth certificate has a lot of replies. A thread about how Trump just nominated the best possible budget director.. meh.

This confirms my belief that very few people care about spending even among Ron Paul supporters.

specsaregood
12-17-2016, 07:16 PM
It is interesting how little attention this is getting. A thread about Barack Obama having a fake birth certificate has a lot of replies. A thread about how Trump just nominated the best possible budget director.. meh.

This confirms my belief that very few people care about spending even among Ron Paul supporters.

Meh, it confirms my belief that pretty much everybody thinks this is a good choice and there is nothing to argue about for pages on end.

nikcers
12-17-2016, 07:25 PM

Rand Paul said this week that he was expecting Bush level budgeting. I think we can all be happy that taxes might be going down, but I think we are getting Cheney's foreign policy.

We are going to get the steroids, the Iran nuclear deal has been rebooted and president Trump will serve Israel. We will go to war with Iran I guarantee it. We probably won't even make it to Trumpday.

dannno
12-17-2016, 07:28 PM

No, that's actually wrong.

Post count for threads is generally related to the controversy or disagreement that the thread creates. You can see in this thread, even CPUd is celebrating something that Donald Trump did. Hell has frozen over. There are no arguments, there is no controversy.

Krugminator2
12-17-2016, 08:06 PM
No, that's actually wrong.

Post count for threads is generally related to the controversy or disagreement that the thread creates. You can see in this thread, even CPUd is celebrating something that Donald Trump did. Hell has frozen over. There are no arguments, there is no controversy.

Probably true. I guess I am dumbfounded that Trump would pick someone this good for a major role. It seems like a pretty big deal to me.

eleganz
12-17-2016, 08:30 PM
Ok purists let's all calm down for one second.

I'm happy a ally to the liberty movement is now in a meaningful position. Take em where you can get em. Be reasonable.

oyarde
12-17-2016, 09:09 PM
Good job Trump , get out of the way and let the man work :)

The Northbreather
12-17-2016, 11:45 PM
That's encouraging

eleganz
12-18-2016, 02:26 AM
Good job Trump , get out of the way and let the man work :)

Finding principled people for the job usually means you want to be able to trust the person is getting the job done without too much micromanagement.

Im excited for this. Mulvaney better not get his balls cut via blackmail.

goldenequity
12-18-2016, 09:22 AM
They've just chosen Oyarde for BIA director... another yuge victory.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Politics/ht_snl2_dc_161218_16x9_608.jpg

jonhowe
12-18-2016, 09:37 AM
Of course that is up to Congress which writes and passes the budget- they are responsible for that. The only thing a President can actually do is sign or veto it.

Maybe in good old Constitution Land that's true, but not here in the land of the free. The economy, the price of gas, the weather, the army; these are all things under the COMPLETE control of the president.

EDIT: Got so caught up in my undirected sarcasm that I forgot to mention that, as a devoted anti-Trumper, this is a GREAT pick for a budget-related post. Zippy's right, though, I don't know how much he can do (I thought I followed government closer than most, but I don't know what roles/powers this position has). If Rand and Amash like him and he liked Ron, it could be a good sign for Trump's administration.
That's my problem with Trump; you don't know when to believe what he says, so you have to read the messages in the tea leaves/appointments.

oyarde
12-18-2016, 09:57 AM
Absolute first thing that needs done with BIA is disarm them , abolish the BIA police force .

UWDude
12-20-2016, 12:38 AM
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/12/trump-mulvaney-john-birch-society

Update 3:45 p.m.: Mother Jones obtained audio of Mulvaney's speech to the John Birch Society chapter. In the speech, Mulvaney blasted the Federal Reserve, saying its actions have "effectively devalued the dollar" and "choke[d] off economic growth." He praised bitcoin as a currency that is "not manipulatable by any government."

No difference between Clinton and Trump, they said on these forums.