PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina WTF?

CPUd
12-16-2016, 10:04 PM
From what I gather, the current govt. is not so thrilled with the incoming governor, so they are passing laws to strip power from him.

https://twitter.com/RaleighReporter/status/809794338792374272

CPUd
12-16-2016, 10:07 PM
Gov. McCrory begins to sign bills that limit power of Gov.-elect Cooper, Democrats

State legislators wrapped up their work Friday on a pair of proposals that would deprive the incoming governor of a substantial part of his authority to make appointments and reduce Democrats’ power over election regulation. Gov. Pat McCrory signed into law the bill dealing with elections a short time later.

The special session came to a close two days after the Republican-controlled legislature ended a special session convened to deal with disaster relief and called itself into the new one over the objections of Democrats.

At least 39 protesters were arrested Friday at the Legislative Building as a group of hundreds chanted slogans blasting a “power grab” by Republican lawmakers. The arrests came in addition to about 17 arrests Thursday, according to General Assembly Police Chief Martin Brock. Those arrested, who accuse the GOP majority of using Hurricane Matthew victims as pawns in a ploy to seize power from Democratic Gov.-elect Roy Cooper, included civic leaders, university staff and faculty, and clergy.

The House approved the elections proposal on a vote of 67-23 on Friday before final approval by the Senate and governor. Senate Bill 4 also provides for political party affiliation to be listed on ballots next to the names of candidates for the state Supreme Court, and gives the majority-Republican state Court of Appeals a role in constitutional challenges to laws.

McCrory, a Republican, has not said whether he will sign another controversial bill, House Bill 17, which would make Cooper’s appointment of Cabinet officials subject to approval by the state Senate and reduce the number of appointees who serve at the pleasure of the governor.

The same measure would move some authority from the State Board of Education to the Republican just elected as state schools superintendent, Mark Johnson. And it would prevent the governor from appointing members of the boards of trustees for UNC system schools.

Steve Leonard, a UNC-Chapel Hill professor of political science and former chairman of the UNC system Faculty Assembly, wrote to McCrory, warning that the bill could result in “severe sanctions” by the university’s accrediting body, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. He said that’s because the legislature has “clear and direct intent to insert ‘undue political influence’” in the selection of campus board of trustee members.

Republicans said they were merely reverting appointment of trustees to what is described in the state constitution, which says the General Assembly “shall provide for the selection of trustees.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article121302433.html

jonhowe
12-16-2016, 10:13 PM
Proof that being a sore loser is a bipartisan issue.

Tywysog Cymru
12-16-2016, 10:14 PM
Anything that limits the power of government officials, especially the executive branch, is fine with me.

angelatc
12-16-2016, 10:15 PM
Good. Screw the left every chance you get.

oyarde
12-16-2016, 10:23 PM
Well , looking at it strictly from the point of view as a non partisan tax payer I fail to see anything wrong . What am I missing ? If the state Constitution says the legislature makes the picks , how does that not serve the citizens better ?

juleswin
12-16-2016, 10:25 PM
Just nice, so now when their liberal policies fail, they can blame it on liberal obstructionism. This is why I wish the libertarians, progressives, liberals and conservatve just allow Trump to implement his policies.

phill4paul
12-16-2016, 10:26 PM
Is there anything wrong with limiting the power, lol, of government?

CPUd
12-16-2016, 10:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiYESeHWEtg

CPUd
12-17-2016, 01:03 AM
https://twitter.com/BeairshelleWNCN/status/809793619456655360

Origanalist
12-17-2016, 09:35 AM
This is great! Just think, if after every election the losing party severely restricted the powers of government. This has possibilities!

Keith and stuff
12-17-2016, 11:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiYESeHWEtg

It sounds like that many politicians over a many year period are ruthless in NC politics. These are NOT citizen legislatures. They are professional partisan actors. Not necessarily corrupt like most politicians in IL, NY, and NJ, but willing to do whatever it takes to hurt the opposing team, as long as it is legal.

Maybe I'm overextending. Either way, I don't see how this hurts the people of NC. It mostly just makes the politicians look like power hungry, spoiled children. I don't mind the people of NC disliking the politicians, especially when they deserve it :p

RonPaulMall
12-17-2016, 04:49 PM
Sounds like they are just going back to what they were supposed to be doing all along under the Constitution. Sad that it took an election result for them to finally start doing their job!

paleocon1
12-17-2016, 04:55 PM
From what I gather, the current govt. is not so thrilled with the incoming governor, so they are passing laws to strip power from him.

https://twitter.com/RaleighReporter/status/809794338792374272

Glad to see some Repubs with the stones to repay the dems in their own partisan coin.

JK/SEA
12-17-2016, 04:58 PM
what about the roads?...

Keith and stuff
12-18-2016, 09:56 AM
what about the roads?...

That is one of the two main reasons stated for why the incumbent Republican governor lost. He supported costly tolls on the roads that hurt locals, cost much more than not tolling the roads would cost, and sent any profits to Spain.

Zippyjuan
12-18-2016, 11:31 AM
If you like election rigging, your are gonna love North Carolina.

angelatc
12-18-2016, 02:04 PM
This is great! Just think, if after every election the losing party severely restricted the powers of government. This has possibilities!

Yeah. I consider the fact that neither of the parties do much of this stuff in lame duck sessions to be discouraging.

angelatc
12-18-2016, 02:05 PM
That is one of the two main reasons stated for why the incumbent Republican governor lost. He supported costly tolls on the roads that hurt locals, cost much more than not tolling the roads would cost, and sent any profits to Spain.

I was ok until you said Spain.

angelatc
12-18-2016, 02:06 PM
If you like election rigging, your are gonna love North Carolina.

And here's Zip, blaming Russia.

phill4paul
12-18-2016, 02:11 PM
And here's Zip, blaming Russia.

He was probably referring to the gerrymandering that goes on here.

angelatc
12-18-2016, 02:26 PM

I grew quite weary of the left whining about gerrymandering after living in both Illinois and Michigan. Here is the Illinois 4th district:

http://sites.psu.edu/ciabramowich/wp-content/uploads/sites/9417/2014/04/illinois-4th-district-map-gerrymandering.jpg

Also, check out the 8th district which was held by Rep Walsh. Tax-cheat Tammy Duckworth couldn't win an election until they carved up his district and ran her with lines they created just for her. Now he's a bitter radio host and she's in the Senate.

Politicians could come up with a way to take politics out of the redistricting process, but they don't. Until that happens, screw the left every chance you get.

phill4paul
12-18-2016, 02:33 PM
I grew quite weary of the left whining about gerrymandering after living in both Illinois and Michigan. Here is the Illinois 4th district:

http://sites.psu.edu/ciabramowich/wp-content/uploads/sites/9417/2014/04/illinois-4th-district-map-gerrymandering.jpg

Also, check out the 8th district which was held by Rep Walsh. Tax-cheat Tammy Duckworth couldn't win an election until they carved up his district and ran her with lines they created just for her. Now he's a bitter radio host and she's in the Senate.

Politicians could come up with a way to take politics out of the redistricting process, but they don't. Until that happens, screw the left every chance you get.

Sucks when either party does it. Glen Bradley would probably still be serving N.C. if the Reps. didn't screw him. In the western part of the state both parties decided on a gerrymander that gave both sides a strong hold so neither party would have to spend money there. It was just a trade off. A friend was able to pull 25% in the Democrats district as a Libertarian. Hopefully that can be built on particularly if the Reps. go with their plan of not having to contest there.

angelatc
12-18-2016, 02:40 PM
Sucks when either party does it. Glen Bradley would probably still be serving N.C. if the Reps. didn't screw him. In the western part of the state both parties decided on a gerrymander that gave both sides a strong hold so neither party would have to spend money there. It was just a trade off. A friend was able to pull 25% in the Democrats district as a Libertarian. Hopefully that can be built on particularly if the Reps. go with their plan of not having to contest there.

This past election saw several surprised Republicans win here simply because they bothered to get put on the ballot. Lots of people here voted a straight R ticket, which meant that some seats that were considered unwinnable turned. I doubt it will stick, but a libertarian on the ballot there would not have won.

Yeah, ditto on the Glen getting screwed. He worked harder than 10 of them put together.

phill4paul
12-18-2016, 02:48 PM
This past election saw several surprised Republicans win here simply because they bothered to get put on the ballot. Lots of people here voted a straight R ticket, which meant that some seats that were considered unwinnable turned. I doubt it will stick, but a libertarian on the ballot there would not have won.

Yeah, ditto on the Glen getting screwed. He worked harder than 10 of them put together.

Yup, he did. Which is why the Republican controlled N.C. sticks in my craw so bad and why I don't consider the Rep. establishment here as an ally.

Zippyjuan
12-19-2016, 11:33 AM

They do lots of gerrymandering and passing laws which make it harder for people to vote. No reference to Russia.