PDA

View Full Version : Trump team 'bounced' Twitter from tech summit over 'Crooked Hillary' emoji flap

Zippyjuan
12-15-2016, 05:38 PM
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/14/trump-team-bounced-twitter-from-tech-summit-over-crooked-hillary-emoji-flap-report.html

Twitter being Trump's favorite means of communication with the masses.

President-elect Donald Trump declined to invite social network Twitter— a platform Trump himself uses with impunity—to a summit with other major technology players because of the company's refusal to approve a specialized emoji during the campaign, Politico reported on Wednesday, citing an unnamed source.

At the height of the campaign, Trump was attacking Democratic contender Hillary Clinton as "crooked", something he wanted the social network to create a "Crooked Hillary" emoji. The Trump campaign proposed a $5 million deal to do so, the publication stated, but Twitter rejected the idea. The character would have depicted money bags being stolen or given away, according to the report.

Twitter was pointedly left out of the confab at Trump Tower, which included high ranking executive delegations from Apple, Amazon.com and Oracle, just to name a few. A source told Politico that the company was "bounced" from the meeting in retribution over rejecting the emoji.

The unnamed source told Politico that RNC spokesman Sean Spicer, who is an adviser to the Trump transition, made the call to deny an invitation to Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey. The summit was organized by Facebook board member and tech billionaire Peter Thiel, who has been a vocal backer of Trump's.

Twitter declined to comment when reached by CNBC.

JK/SEA
12-15-2016, 05:45 PM
i thought they were 'bounced' was because they weren't a big enough company. This was from an un-named source...

meh...who really gives a fuck anyway. I don't.

UWDude
12-15-2016, 05:46 PM
*yawn*

oyarde
12-15-2016, 05:46 PM
I think they should have offered to donate a crooked Clinton emoji .

Dr.3D
12-15-2016, 05:59 PM
I think they should have offered to donate a crooked Clinton emoji .
That would have gotten them farther than where they are now. lol

Dr.3D
12-15-2016, 06:02 PM
https://s17-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2Fwlur qicgXYU%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&sp=d56da31eefdbd5fb43025d8e8d51c228

angelatc
12-15-2016, 07:08 PM
The Trump campaign said it was because they aren't big enough and there was not room at the table.

The whole damned table consisted of his enemies. It makes no sense that Twitter was snubbed because they are somehow enemies.

Personally I'd rather see eBay there than Amazon.

devil21
12-16-2016, 04:24 AM
The Trump campaign said it was because they aren't big enough and there was not room at the table.

The whole damned table consisted of his enemies. It makes no sense that Twitter was snubbed because they are somehow enemies.

Personally I'd rather see eBay there than Amazon.

Bezos owns WashPost too. I'm pretty sure he wasn't there to talk about people buying trinkets. All of the tech reps there were either media or data companies or are both. Many talks about upcoming censorship initiatives, data-mining and cattle tracking operations I'm sure.

Origanalist
12-16-2016, 07:31 AM
Oh muh gerd!!! This is UGE!!! Muh Twitters!

angelatc
12-16-2016, 09:31 AM
Bezos owns WashPost too. I'm pretty sure he wasn't there to talk about people buying trinkets. All of the tech reps there were either media or data companies or are both. Many talks about upcoming censorship initiatives, data-mining and cattle tracking operations I'm sure.

It was a technology conference arranged by Theil, the resident libertarian.

CPUd
12-16-2016, 03:04 PM
Critics bash Trump children’s presence at tech meeting

Three of Donald Trump’s adult children attended a Wednesday meeting the president-elect convened with top Silicon Valley executives, prompting backlash from critics with questions about conflicts of interests.

The meeting was meant as an olive branch to an industry that largely backed Hillary Clinton in the presidential campaign and which has few policy goals in common with the incoming administration.

It was held the same week the president-elect said his two adult sons, Eric and Donald Jr., would take over his business interests when he takes office in January.

But details of his plans to distance himself from his business empire remain scant, after he canceled a Thursday news conference where he was scheduled to divulge specifics.

Leaving business operations to his sons is a far cry from the complete divestiture that many believe is the only way to prevent conflicts of interests in a Trump administration.

Ethics experts say if his plan is to be taken seriously, the president-elect needs to create space between his children and his transition team.

“You would think that if he is planning to come out with a solution of turning everything over to his children, that he would separate his children immediately from the transition. But he’s not even doing that, so it’s hard to see how this fits into any plan he may have for trying to avoid conflicts of interests,” said Larry Noble, the general counsel of the Campaign Legal Center.

Noble does not believe the plan to turn over the company to Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump will work, and he said their involvement in the transition further damages the arrangement’s credibility.

“President-elect Trump and his family continue to blur the line between public service and Trump business operations,” added Scott Amey of the Project on Government Oversight.

“If Trump is serious about only working for the American public, it should have started weeks ago and his children should have stayed in the Board room.”

The transition team did not respond to requests for comment Wednesday night.

In addition to his two elder sons, Trump’s daughter, Ivanka also attended the meeting. Her husband, Jared Kushner, an adviser to the president-elect and a tech investor in his own right, was also present.

The summit included executives from Apple, Google, Amazon, Intel, Microsoft, Tesla and Facebook and topics raised in the meeting ranged from lowering taxes, reducing bureaucracy and providing greater accountability in government procurement processes.

On Monday, the president-elect announced on Twitter that his sons would be taking over the business while he’s in office.

“Even though I am not mandated by law to do so, I will be leaving my busineses [sic] before January 20th so that I can focus full time on the … Presidency,” Trump wrote. “Two of my children, Don and Eric, plus executives, will manage them. No new deals will be done during my term(s) in office.”

Eric Walker, a spokesman for the Democratic National Committee, blasted the family arrangement in a statement issued just hours after the Wednesday tech meeting, calling it “nakedly and obviously corrupt.”

After Politico reported this week that Donald Trump Jr. was involved in the interview process to choose a nominee for secretary of Interior, a transition spokesman defended the move by saying it had been open about his involvement.

"The transition team has been very transparent and the fact that Donald Trump Jr. is on the transition team — he's the one helping us form this government and put things together, we've announced that right from the beginning," Jason Miller said.

"It only makes sense that a transition team member was active in that process."

But Laurence Tribe, a constitutional law professor at Harvard University, pointed out that mixing politics and business comes with inherent issues.

“Next time one of those ‘children’ meets or talks with a Silicon Valley leader about a matter of interest to Trump's business empire, that leader will certainly know that he or she is dealing with a member of the President's inner circle of government power,” Tribe said.

Richard Painter, the chief ethics lawyer under President George W. Bush, sees some wiggle room for the Trump children giving advice informally to their father, but said he would be alarmed if the current trend continues once Trump is sworn in.

“They can give him advice informally, but … normally a president does not bring his adult children to official meetings,” Painter said. “Maybe doing that now a little bit, but I think that would stop once he becomes president.”

Noble said he does not see how in this instance Trump’s children, even though they are business executives, have anything to add to a meeting of top Silicon Valley titans.

“I don’t think anyone at that meeting considers them as equals,” he said.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/310498-critics-bash-trump-childrens-presence-at-tech-meeting

devil21
12-17-2016, 03:59 AM
It was a technology conference arranged by Theil, the resident libertarian.

Oh that's right, the libertarian that wrote NSA's Xkeyscore mass surveillance software and developed the license plate reader cameras and software (Palantir). Also the co-founder of Paypal, which is a play-on-words for "papal". Have you always been this blind?

Bezos owns WaPo and Amazon's biggest profit center is it's WEB services. Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Oracle, Amazon Chinese trinket sales....hmmm, which one of these things does not belong? If you guessed Chinese trinket sales you would be correct! Because the rest of the equation is about data-mining, web services and media, all CEO'd by CIA assets. At the same time there's a push toward Internet censorship both by that same media and Congress, among other entities like...the CIA. I ask again, have you always been this blind?

CPUd
12-17-2016, 09:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UKsg0sfEUM

angelatc
12-17-2016, 09:27 AM
Oh that's right, the libertarian that wrote NSA's Xkeyscore mass surveillance software and developed the license plate reader cameras and software (Palantir). Also the co-founder of Paypal, which is a play-on-words for "papal". Have you always been this blind?

Bezos owns WaPo and Amazon's biggest profit center is it's WEB services. Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Oracle, Amazon Chinese trinket sales....hmmm, which one of these things does not belong? If you guessed Chinese trinket sales you would be correct! Because the rest of the equation is about data-mining, web services and media, all CEO'd by CIA assets. At the same time there's a push toward Internet censorship both by that same media and Congress, among other entities like...the CIA. I ask again, have you always been this blind?

*backs away slowly*