PDA

View Full Version : Trump compares Ryan to 'a fine wine'

CPUd
12-14-2016, 05:13 PM
Trump compares Ryan to 'a fine wine'

President-elect Donald Trump on Tuesday night heaped praise on Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), saying he has come to "appreciate" the GOP leader and comparing him to "a fine wine."

At a "thank you" rally in Ryan's home state of Wisconsin, Trump explained that their once-contentious relationship has grown into admiration and said the two will work together on various issues in Washington.

"I’ve come to appreciate him, Speaker Paul Ryan," Trump told a raucous crowd in West Allis, Wis., sparking a smattering of cheers and some boos at the mention of the Speaker's name.

"He has been terrific and you know honestly, he’s like a fine wine. Every day goes by, I get to appreciate his genius more and more now," Trump continued, attempting to tamp down the boos.

However, Trump quickly added: "If he ever goes against me, I'm not going to say that."

"He’s a great guy and we have some amazing things in store," Trump continued. "We're going to work on taxes, we're going to work on ObamaCare."

Trump delivered his speech in front of six decorated Christmas trees and behind a lectern with a sign plastered to the front stating, “Merry Christmas USA."

The event marked Trump and Ryan’s first joint appearance at a rally.

The two frequently feuded during the campaign and Ryan called off a rally in Wisconsin in October after the leak of the 2005 tape where Trump bragged about grabbing women and kissing them without their consent.

Trump won the Badger State by a little more than 22,000 votes. It was the first time a Republican carried the state since 1984.

Before Trump took the stage Tuesday, Ryan delivered a brief speech where he praised the president-elect, nodding at his surprise victory turning the traditionally blue state red.

He credited Trump and Vice President-elect Mike Pence for carrying Midwest states that Republicans haven't carried in decades and touted that there will be a unified government next year with an incoming Republican-controlled White House and Congress.

“We’ve got so much work to do, the last eight years they have not been fun or pleasant years in Washington,” Ryan said Tuesday night, adding that there’s been “years of divided government.”

“And that is why we’re so excited about having four years of a unified Republican government to rebuild our military, to reform our tax code, to clean up our regulations.”

At the end of the rally, Trump and Ryan appeared on stage together, joined by Pence and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, and the Speaker presented Trump with a Green Bay Packers jersey with his name on the back and the number 45.

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/310307-trump-compares-ryan-to-a-fine-wine