PDA

View Full Version : Rand's buddy James Comer was elected to congress on November 8th

jct74
12-13-2016, 03:57 PM
I just found out about this today... did not even know he was running. I'm guessing this slipped under the radar for a lot of other people here, so thought I would share it in Rand's forum. Anyways, I don't know a lot about Comer but from what I understand he is generally pretty good from a liberty perspective. The thing I remember most about him is that he pushed hemp legalization very hard as Kentucky AG commissioner. He worked with Rand on that a lot, and the two of them are pretty tight. So Rand will have another strong ally in congress now, from the state of Kentucky.

James Comer Elected to Fill Open Seat in Kentucky’s 1st District
Former Kentucky agriculture commissioner will be seated immediately

Niels Lesniewski
Nov 8, 2016

Republican James Comer will defeat Democrat Samuel L. Gaskins in Kentucky’s 1st District, The Associated Press projects.

Comer led Gaskins 72 percent to 28 percent with 23 percent of precincts reporting.

Comer, the former Kentucky agriculture commissioner, will actually have won two elections Tuesday, for the same office. Voters in the district were casting ballots for the seat for the next Congress, as well as to fill out the unexpired term of former Republican Rep. Ed Whitfield.

The victory is a remarkable rebound for Comer, who came within less than 100 votes for winning the GOP nomination for governor just last year. Former Mitch McConnell primary challenger Matt Bevin finished first and went on to win the general election.

Comer said before the election that his goal will be to pick up a seat on the Energy and Commerce panel, and his early arrival should give him seniority over other newly elected House Republicans.

read more:
http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/james-comer-elected-fill-open-seat-kentuckys-1st-district

Sola_Fide
12-13-2016, 05:06 PM
Good. Comer is better than most.

phill4paul
12-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Kentucky is rocking it out. Good job Kentuckians.

jct74
12-14-2016, 01:05 PM
here's an article on their close relationship from a few years ago

Political Paddock: Rand Paul and James Comer might be Kentucky's next dynamic duo

by Sam Youngman
NOVEMBER 17, 2013 9:25 PM

It was one of those full-body laughs where the person rears their head back.

U.S. Sen. Rand Paul had just stood next to Agriculture Commissioner James Comer in Louisville and praised Comer for returning $1.65 million to taxpayers when the Lexington Herald-Leader asked the senator what lessons he had learned from weeks of media scrutiny and criticism over multiple accounts of plagiarism.

"Not everybody likes me," Paul said, cracking up.

He was in a great mood, back on friendly soil with one of his top allies in the state.

Looking ahead to 2015, it's becoming increasingly clear that Paul and Comer will unite to make a powerful duo as one man runs for the White House and the other vies to move into the governor's mansion in Frankfort.

The two men, both underestimated by their opponents at almost every turn, have each others' backs. While both are at least a year away from making any formal announcements, they are making moves behind the scenes that will make them more powerful when they do.

While Paul has spent the last couple weeks drawing fire from the national media and Comer has used that same timeframe to anger many of the commonwealth's old-guard Republicans, they clearly draw strength from each other.

Comer was the only statehouse representative to publicly endorse Paul in his primary against former Secretary of State and McConnell pick Trey Grayson. The commissioner posed for a picture with Paul in front of his truck, sharing the photograph widely in his district.

read more:
http://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/sam-youngman/article44454120.html