PDA

View Full Version : As CIA Blame Russia, GA Secretary of State Accuses DHS of Hacking its Election Systems

AZJoe
12-10-2016, 01:22 PM
As CIA Blame Russia, GA Secretary of State Accuses DHS of Hacking its Election Systems
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/56680-2/

Georgia is demanding answers after an unsuccessful attempted breach of the server housing the state’s voter registration database was connected to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

In a letter to DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson penned Thursday, Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp explained a failed bid to penetrate the firewall guarding state computer systems on November 15 ‘was linked to an IP address associated with DHS,’ the Wall Street Journal reports. …

Kemp further explained the Georgia Secretary of State’s office voter registration database comprises the personal information of around 6.5 million individuals, 800,000 corporate entities, and licensing or registration data for 500,000 professionals.

“We are looking into the matter,” an unnamed Department of Homeland Security spokeswoman told the WSJ …

It would seem an agency of the United States government, not nebulous Russian hackers, presents greater cause for concern in possible election meddling. …

For the state of Georgia, however, its private sector security firm has discovered solid evidence of unauthorized cyber activity — courtesy of DHS. … In fact, Georgia’s secretary of state suggests the “large unblocked scan event” might have broken the law, as “attempting to gain access or exceeding authorized access to protected computer systems is illegal” — whether or not such activity was performed by a U.S. government agency. …

it was DHS, after all, who “considered declaring election systems ‘critical infrastructure,’ which would have given the federal government additional authority to protect the systems.” …

Apart from the obligatory and cursory ‘we’re looking into it’ statement from the unnamed DHS spokeswoman, Kemp and Georgia voters have yet to receive answers.

Jamesiv1
12-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Why do I feel like I'm watching an episode of Abbott and Costello?

maybe Keystone Cops?

timosman
12-10-2016, 01:33 PM
Why do I feel like I'm watching an episode of Abbott and Costello?

maybe Keystone Cops?

cause that's what it is?