PDA

View Full Version : 60 Minutes: Golden Triangle, Mississippi. How Americans become prosperous again.

phill4paul
12-07-2016, 08:24 PM
Listen up knuckleheads. I've heard enough handwringing and enough about how the U.S. "ought" to be. Liberals, libertarians and Trump detractors all bemoaning the Carrier deal which caused Carrier to keep 800 good paying jobs, along with a $16mil re-investment, for $7mil in tax credits over 10 years.
I'm a Trump detractor on any number of things. One thing I am not a detractor about is the positive shift of companies willing to employ American workers whether by his working deals, bully-pulpiting, or promising tax breaks and deregulation to companies that want to employ American workers.

Americans need to go back to work. They need good paying jobs which provide them with a home and the ability to feed, cloth and educate (and I'm not talking public school) their families.

Prosperity leads to individual freedom. Poverty leads to dependence and dependence, naturally, requires more calls for governance.

Trumps not even president yet and he has already caused major companies, employers, to reconsider their position of offshoring jobs.
Carrier, Trans-Lux, U.S. Steel. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?505102-Two-More-Companies-coming-back-because-of-Trump-s-win)

Softbank a telecommunications company has said they will invest $50 billion and create 50k jobs.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?505066-Trump-makes-deal-with-Softbank-50-billion-and-50k-jobs-into-the-US

So bitch, moan and complain as much as you want. If you want to move away from the welfare state then the nation is going to have to create an environment in which companies will want to invest in America and employ Americans. Public education will have to regear to trades over cis-gender studies.

A company is just not going to move into community, or a country, unless the incentives given are better then other locales.

Watch this episode of 60 Minutes. It chronicles the efforts of Joe Max Higgins to bring good paying jobs to an area of Mississippi known as the Golden Triangle, that was previously an economic wasteland. He enticed companies such as PACCAR, Yokohama Tires and Steel Dynamics and created 6k good paying jobs. Companies didn't just throw a dart at the globe and end up there. Those companies had to be enticed to set up shop. They had to have guarantees of infrastructure and job training at the local Community College that would provide them with skilled labor.

Since his segment aired he has said that he and his staff have been inundated with calls from other businesses. Success creates success.

Relevant portion runs at 17:28 - 32:35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mGqE6pMPFE

phill4paul
12-08-2016, 05:06 PM
Bump.

Origanalist
12-08-2016, 05:28 PM
Isn't this a fake news source?

The Gold Standard
12-08-2016, 05:35 PM
Prosperity leads to individual freedom.

You have it backwards. Individual freedom leads to prosperity. Those Carrier jobs will be gone long before Trump is thrown out of office in 2020.

phill4paul
12-08-2016, 05:48 PM
You have it backwards. Individual freedom leads to prosperity. Those Carrier jobs will be gone long before Trump is thrown out of office in 2020.

Or they might not be. And 800 Americans will continue to make $70k a year instead of receiving welfare.

phill4paul
12-08-2016, 05:49 PM
Isn't this a fake news source?

I have no idea. But I'm getting tired of people on this site using that as a "go to" instead of actually debating what is presented.

AZJoe
12-08-2016, 06:51 PM
Save Jobs: End the Income Tax!

"I want to abolish the income tax, but I don’t want to replace it with anything. About 45 percent of all federal revenue comes from the personal income tax. That means that about 55 percent — over half of all revenue — comes from other sources, like excise taxes, fees, and corporate taxes.We could eliminate the income tax, replace it with nothing, and still fund the same level of big government we had in the late 1990s. We don’t need to “replace” the income tax at all. " - Dr. Ron Paul, Nov. 20, 2008.

"You may be surprised to know that the income tax accounts for only approximately one-third of federal revenue. … The harmful effects of the income tax are obvious. … it has enabled government to expand far beyond its proper constitutional limits, regulating virtually every aspect of our lives. It has given government a claim on our lives and work, destroying our privacy in the process. It takes billions of dollars out of the legitimate private economy, with most Americans giving more than a third of everything they make to the federal government. This economic drain destroys jobs and penalizes productive behavior. The ridiculous complexity of the tax laws makes compliance a nightmare for both individuals and businesses. … America without an income tax would be far more prosperous and far more free" - Dr. Ron Paul , May 7, 2001.

TheCount
12-08-2016, 06:54 PM
Jobs and prosperity come from government, right? I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

phill4paul
12-08-2016, 07:11 PM
Jobs and prosperity come from government, right? I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Did you watch the video?

phill4paul
12-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Save Jobs: End the Income Tax!

"I want to abolish the income tax, but I don’t want to replace it with anything. About 45 percent of all federal revenue comes from the personal income tax. That means that about 55 percent — over half of all revenue — comes from other sources, like excise taxes, fees, and corporate taxes.We could eliminate the income tax, replace it with nothing, and still fund the same level of big government we had in the late 1990s. We don’t need to “replace” the income tax at all. " - Dr. Ron Paul, Nov. 20, 2008.

"You may be surprised to know that the income tax accounts for only approximately one-third of federal revenue. … The harmful effects of the income tax are obvious. … it has enabled government to expand far beyond its proper constitutional limits, regulating virtually every aspect of our lives. It has given government a claim on our lives and work, destroying our privacy in the process. It takes billions of dollars out of the legitimate private economy, with most Americans giving more than a third of everything they make to the federal government. This economic drain destroys jobs and penalizes productive behavior. The ridiculous complexity of the tax laws makes compliance a nightmare for both individuals and businesses. … America without an income tax would be far more prosperous and far more free" - Dr. Ron Paul , May 7, 2001.

You're quoting Ron on the Federal government. This 60 Mins. was about county government. Did you watch the video?

dannno
12-08-2016, 07:33 PM

Right, we need the government to reduce their burden on businesses. That is going to take government action, because incidentally that is the situation we are in.

P3ter_Griffin
12-08-2016, 07:50 PM
My POV, you don't need to socialize the business expenses to be competitive on a global scale... as far as attracting businesses. You just need to have no interference and the industry best suited to the area will be present. If we carry this theory through, it would make sense for the tax to pay to socialize business expenses to be levied solely on workers. If you tax one business to socialize the expenses of another it is self defeating. And so what it amounts to is a lowering of wages... that is all. Well and maybe the added negatives that workers are trained at tech colleges instead of OTJ, probably making them less efficient. But, point being, it would be better to skip all the hoplah and allow the market dictate that lower wage on its own. If the factory is willing to move there because the effective wage has been reduced, they would have moved there too with the prospects of paying the lower wage.

AZJoe
12-09-2016, 04:43 AM
You're quoting Ron on the Federal government. This 60 Mins. was about county government. Did you watch the video?

Yeah Phil. Local efforts are nice, but by far the the number one thing that can be done to increase jobs and prosperity (far more than any local government) is to End the Income Tax.

phill4paul
12-09-2016, 05:53 AM
Yeah Phil. Local efforts are nice, but by far the the number one thing that can be done to increase jobs and prosperity (far more than any local government) is to End the Income Tax.

I don't dispute that, Joe. But, in the meantime I'd like to see efforts like Higgins replicated across America.