PDA

View Full Version : Ben Carson Tapped to Head Housing and Urban Development

Zippyjuan
12-05-2016, 04:39 PM
What experience does a brain surgeon have with their issues though? Didn't he recently say he didn't want a job because he had no experience to offer?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/05/politics/ben-carson-hud-secretary-nomination/

Ben Carson will be nominated as the next secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, the Trump transition team announced Monday.

"I am thrilled to nominate Dr. Ben Carson as our next Secretary of the US Department of Housing and Urban Development," President-elect Donald Trump said in a statement. "Ben Carson has a brilliant mind and is passionate about strengthening communities and families within those communities."

During their primary fight, though, Trump had derided Carson as "super low energy" and delivered a number of sharp attacks on Twitter, questioning Carson's temperament and qualifications for office.

The secretary of housing and urban development oversees federal public housing programs and helps formulate policy on homelessness and housing discrimination. As is the case with all cabinet secretaries, Carson needs to be confirmed by the Senate.

Carson had signaled he would be named to the job Wednesday afternoon, posting on Facebook that an announcement about his forthcoming role in the administration.

"After serious discussions with the Trump transition team, I feel that I can make a significant contribution particularly to making our inner cities great for everyone," Carson wrote. "We have much work to do in strengthening every aspect of our nation and ensuring that both our physical infrastructure and our spiritual infrastructure is solid."

Back on November 15th: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/15/politics/ben-carson-declines-cabinet-position-donald-trump/

Ben Carson declined an offer from President-elect Donald Trump to join his cabinet as Secretary of Health and Human Services, a close Carson adviser told CNN on Tuesday.

Carson confidant Armstrong Williams said the former neurosurgeon and top Trump surrogate will continue to advise Trump from outside the White House but declined Trump's offer to join his administration as a cabinet-level official.

"He's never run an agency and it's a lot to ask. He's a neophyte and that's not his strength," Williams said, despite the fact that Carson vied for the Republican nomination to be the next president of the United States.

Carson had been rumored as a potential pick to head up the Department of Health and Human Services or the Department of Education.
The Trump transition team did not respond to a request for comment.

Williams told The Hill newspaper, "Dr. Carson feels he has no government experience, he's never run a federal agency. The last thing he would want to do was take a position that could cripple the presidency."

enhanced_deficit
12-05-2016, 04:45 PM
This is an interesting pick considering that Ben's expertise is in the area of medicine.. although he has taken a passing interest in the construction of Egyptian pyramids.

And there could be protests from LGBT movement over this pick:

Ben Carson: Being Gay Is A Choice Because Of Prison Sex [VIDEO] (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?470183-Ben-Carson-Being-Gay-Is-A-Choice-Because-Of-Prison-Sex-VIDEO&)

What experience does a brain surgeon have with their issues though? Didn't he recently say he didn't want a job because he had no experience to offer?

To be fair, perhaps not an expert but he does have common sense understanding of buildings.

http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2015/151105-carson-to-archaeologists-wrong-about-the-pyramids.jpg

http://www.scrivler.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/ben-carson-pasta-strainer-coliseum.jpg

12-05-2016, 07:08 PM
He's black and urban residents in need of housing and development are typically black. Looks like he will be Trump's token negro. Sad really.

anaconda
12-06-2016, 01:21 AM
I was thinking Dept. of Health & Human Services would have been more appropriate. Or Surgeon General.

UWDude
12-06-2016, 02:25 AM
He's black and urban residents in need of housing and development are typically black. Looks like he will be Trump's token negro. Sad really.

He was raised poor and in an urban ghetto, and rose up to become a brain surgeon. Racist. What makes you think you can call people "token negroes" and not be a racist? huh?

Theocrat
12-06-2016, 03:47 AM
I would've thought Dr. Ben Carson would be tapped for, you know, Surgeon General, seeing as how he is a neurosurgeon, after all...

UWDude
12-06-2016, 05:10 AM
I would've thought Dr. Ben Carson would be tapped for, you know, Surgeon General, seeing as how he is a neurosurgeon, after all...

He would be just as qualified to run that as he would the HUD. These are bureaucratic appointments, not manual labor jobs. The surgeon general doesn;t do surgery, just like the head of the HUD doesn't do construction.

Theocrat
12-06-2016, 05:20 AM
He would be just as qualified to run that as he would the HUD. These are bureaucratic appointments, not manual labor jobs. The surgeon general doesn;t do surgery, just like the head of the HUD doesn't do construction.

I understand that, UWDude. My point is that Dr. Carson has special expertise in the field of medicine in contrast to housing and urban development. In any case, I really don't trust Trump's appointments because they're all going to be bad for the States and the people. Trump will appoint individuals who believe that America's domestic issues and foreign interests must be solved, first, by federal intervention.

12-06-2016, 11:30 AM
He was raised poor and in an urban ghetto, and rose up to become a brain surgeon. Racist. What makes you think you can call people "token negroes" and not be a racist? huh?

Because he is Trump's token negro. There is nothing racist about pointing that out, in fact Trump is probably somewhat racist for appointing him to the position. If Carson was a white person, he wouldn't have the job. He isn't qualified for the position, he has no experience in the field. It is a reasonable assumption that he was appointed purely because of his race. Your statement is false. If Carson was raised on a farm does that qualify him to be secretary of agriculture? I don't think so.

specsaregood
12-06-2016, 12:19 PM
I was thinking Dept. of Health & Human Services would have been more appropriate. Or Surgeon General.

Well if reports are true that he turned down the HHS position; but accepted this one then he must have some agenda in mind for the job and either didn't for the HHS job or had a conflicting agenda for that role.

CaptUSA
12-06-2016, 12:19 PM
FWIW, I'm ok with Carson for this post. The idea of having someone in charge of HHS who has said that "being poor is a choice" is excellent.

I'm not sure Carson's actions always match his rhetoric, but this appointment doesn't bother me as much as others. I'm sure he would have gotten a position in a Paul cabinet as well. (I thought he'd get Surgeon General, though.)

UWDude
12-06-2016, 07:12 PM
Because he is Trump's token negro. There is nothing racist about pointing that out, in fact Trump is probably somewhat racist for appointing him to the position. If Carson was a white person, he wouldn't have the job. He isn't qualified for the position, he has no experience in the field. It is a reasonable assumption that he was appointed purely because of his race. Your statement is false. If Carson was raised on a farm does that qualify him to be secretary of agriculture? I don't think so.

So carson was not qualified to run for President then?

Did you ever mention Rand's lack of experience when he ran for senate? Afterall, he was just an eye doctor.

Racist.

TheTexan
12-06-2016, 07:34 PM
I understand that, UWDude. My point is that Dr. Carson has special expertise in the field of medicine in contrast to housing and urban development. In any case, I really don't trust Trump's appointments because they're all going to be bad for the States and the people. Trump will appoint individuals who believe that America's domestic issues and foreign interests must be solved, first, by federal intervention.

Trump moves in mysterious ways, to accomplish his work.

TheTexan
12-06-2016, 07:36 PM

Ben carson probably has black friends who have relatives who know people that live in Section 8 housing

UWDude
12-06-2016, 08:21 PM
Ben carson probably has black friends who have relatives who know people that live in Section 8 housing

Ben Carson is the only HUD secretary that has lived in government housing.

TheCount
12-06-2016, 08:24 PM

Correct. He was the GOP's token negro before he was Trump's.

Did you ever mention Rand's lack of experience when he ran for senate? Afterall, he was just an eye doctor. Ridiculous comparison. Representatives are not executives.

CPUd
12-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Ben Carson is the only HUD secretary that has lived in government housing.

Which government housing would that be?

UWDude
12-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Ridiculous comparison. Representatives are not executives.

You'll have to expound more.

UWDude
12-06-2016, 08:30 PM
Which government housing would that be?

He didn't, AFAIK. Double checking.

Apparently he lived in "the ghetto" his mother worked three jobs because she refused to be on welfare.

While a 2011 Success article did cite Carson's family "[settling] for Detroit's downtown housing projects" after moving from Detroit to Boston,

So he might have lived in the actual projects of Detroit. If not, he certainly lived near them.

UWDude
12-06-2016, 08:51 PM
People on this board:

"Trump isn't draining the swamp, he is picking insiders"

When Trump appoints Carson

"Trump is picking inexperienced people for the cabinet!"

There will be no pleasing some of you.

Danke
12-06-2016, 08:55 PM
People on this board:

Just sour grapes, their gal lost.

oyarde
12-06-2016, 08:59 PM
Just sour grapes, their gal lost.

This one sucks because it is exactly the type of Dept that needs shut down .

Danke
12-06-2016, 09:05 PM
This one sucks because it is exactly the type of Dept that needs shut down .

Have you contacted Trump's team yet about a position in The Bureau of Indian Affairs?

oyarde
12-06-2016, 09:17 PM
Have you contacted Trump's team yet about a position in The Bureau of Indian Affairs?

I would love to eliminate that as well as The Bureau of Indian Affairs Police or Division of Law Enforcement Bureau of Indian Affairs, the Dept of Interior , the Bureau of Indian Police Training Academy , the USDA , CIA , BATFE etc.

12-06-2016, 09:22 PM

Did you ever mention Rand's lack of experience when he ran for senate? Afterall, he was just an eye doctor.

Racist.

No, Carson was not qualified to be president. He had no government or leadership experience at all. Running for Senate would have been a good first step for him.

Please continue to play the race card. It's hilarious.

12-06-2016, 09:25 PM
People on this board:

You don't have to be an insider. But you should maybe have some relevant work experience in the field besides "I grew up in da hood" before getting a cabinet level position.

UWDude
12-06-2016, 09:30 PM
You don't have to be an insider. But you should maybe have some relevant work experience in the field besides "I grew up in da hood" before getting a cabinet level position.

Sorry (not sorry) Hillary lost, dude. You'll get over it.

UWDude
12-06-2016, 09:32 PM
No, Carson was not qualified to be president. He had no government or leadership experience at all. Running for Senate would have been a good first step for him.

Please continue to play the race card. It's hilarious.

Whats the difference between senator and secretary of HUD? What is the big experience differential? What makes the positions so different that you can go form eye doctor to US senator, but not brain surgeon to head of the HUD?

12-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Sorry (not sorry) Hillary lost, dude. You'll get over it.

Really is that the best you can do? A few posts back I was a racist, now I am liberal?

Whats the difference between senator and secretary of HUD? What is the big experience differential? What makes the positions so different that you can go form eye doctor to US senator, but not brain surgeon to head of the HUD?

Are you that dense that you can not process the concept that a cabinet level position should require specialized experience in the field?

A senator is a representative of the people. A senator doesn't need specialized experience in any field.

You really should stop posting, you are making a fool of yourself, you already lost when you tried to play the racist card.

CPUd
12-06-2016, 09:46 PM

https://i.imgur.com/J5pU4bc.jpg

UWDude
12-06-2016, 09:51 PM
you that dense that you can not process the concept that a cabinet level position should require specialized experience in the field?

Ha ha, I expected this response. the response of someone without an answer!

A senator is a representative of the people. A senator doesn't need specialized experience in any field.

Who says the HUD needs "experience in the field" anymore than a senator? Why would Carson running as Senator first make any difference, if the two jobs are so different?

LoL!

YOU LOSE!

Running for Senate would have been a good first step for him.

LOLOLOLOL

If that is all it is, then why would it be experience enough to be HUD?

RAYYYY-SSSSSIIISSSST!

calls black man "token negro", as if black man has no agency. As if he has the right to call anyone a "token negro"
Says his white doctor with no experience is qualified for federal government job, but black doctor is not qualified for federal government job because no experience.

Claims he is not racist.

RAYYYYSISSST!

OWNED

GO ON FROM YOUR LITTLE INTERNET ANONYMITY, AND TELL A BLACK MAN CARSON IS JUST A "TOKEN NEGRO". TRY IT WITH TEN OF THEM, ONE OF THEM WILL POP YOU IN THE JAW GUARANTEED, LIKE YOU DESERVE!

UWDude
12-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Let me ask you this, racist:

If trump had just appointed one woman to the cabinet, would you have called her a token woman?
Of course you would not have!
He appointed an asian woman to head of DoT. Is that his "token Asian" did you ever say that? Of course not. Because you just think black people can be tokens. (racist)
He appointed more than 2 women to his cabinet, so you can't call them "token women"
But because he appointed a man with black skin, you seize upon the color of his skin, and call him "token negro".

That's racism, dude. I don't even know how you thought it was proper to call a man a "token negro", and then try to say you aren't racist.

the only reason you thought you could get away with calling a black man a "token negro" when you would not have said the same abotu any other minority group is because....

...why?

Why just the black guy?

Why?

Why?

And what are you going to do if Col. Allen West gets appointed?

What would you have said if his cabinet was all white males?

NO WINNING WITH YOU PEOPLE, BECAUSE YOU ARE LOSERS.

Did you ever consider that Carson was appointed for a reason besides the color of his skin? Want to take a guess at some other reasons why Trump picked him? Or is race all your racist little brain can figure? You are just some dude crying "affirmative action for the token negro" without thinking first. aka knee-jerk racism.

12-06-2016, 10:07 PM
So make up your mind? Am I a racist or a Hillary hugging liberal? You called me both in the same thread.

What your small mind can't seem to grasp is that pointing out that Carson is Trump's token negro is a jab at Trump, not Carson.

UWDude
12-06-2016, 10:09 PM
What your small mind can't seem to grasp is that pointing out that Carson is Trump's token negro is a jab at Trump, not Carson.

How about you try to figure out the real reasons Trump chose Carson, besides just the color of his skin. Trump has hired hundreds, even thousands of minorities to jobs and executive positions in his companies. I know your beloved liberal media never mentions that, but it is true.

nbhadja
12-06-2016, 10:13 PM
So make up your mind? Am I a racist or a Hillary hugging liberal? You called me both in the same thread.

Sorry liberal troll... You just got exposed as a hypocrite and owned.

12-06-2016, 10:17 PM
How about you try to figure out the real reasons Trump chose Carson, besides just the color of his skin. Trump has hired hundreds, even thousands of minorities to jobs and executive positions in his companies. I know your beloved liberal media never mentions that, but it is true.

Because the simple fact is that Trump most likely appointed Carson because he is black. Powerful white men appoint an unqualified token negro to avoid the stigma of being called a racist by people like you. Me pointing this out doesn't make me either a racist nor a liberal.

You are really going in circles here. I wasn't aware one could be both a liberal and a racist.

12-06-2016, 10:18 PM
Sorry liberal troll... You just got exposed as a hypocrite and owned.

A minute ago I was racist troll.

UWDude
12-06-2016, 10:22 PM
Because the simple fact is that Trump most likely appointed Carson because he is black. Powerful white men appoint an unqualified token negro to avoid the stigma of being called a racist by people like you. Me pointing this out doesn't make me either a racist nor a liberal.

You are really going in circles here. I wasn't aware one could be both a liberal and a racist.

Running for Senate would have been a good first step for him.

BTFO

I wasn't aware one could be both a liberal and a racist.

LOL!

Now you are aware. You can thank me later.

UWDude
12-06-2016, 10:28 PM
Because the simple fact is that Trump most likely appointed Carson because he is black.

"simple fact" "most likely"

"simple facts" can be "most likely" now? What kind of world of facts do you live in? You state it as if it is obvious, but then call it "most likely" which means it is not obvious.

"most likely" sounds like a hypothesis, which comes before the establishing of a "simple fact".

Now you don't even understand science or logic.

This is fun. It's like pummeling a knocked out fighter because the ref is asleep or something. Tap out, I'll acknowledge it once the ref is looking. LOL

Did you ever even consider the other reasons Trump chose him? Why not?

Because you are...

12-06-2016, 10:32 PM
This isn't fun, it's stupid and I'm bored with it.

UWDude
12-06-2016, 10:33 PM
This isn't fun, it's stupid and I'm bored with it.

Come back little mousey, let me slap you around a little more, this cat isn't done playing. Once I am done, I'll leave you at the doorstep.

it's stupid

That's not because of my contributions to the subject. Somebody is making it stupid, but it's not me.

TheCount
12-06-2016, 10:53 PM
You'll have to expound more.

Whats the difference between senator and secretary of HUD? What is the big experience differential? What makes the positions so different that you can go form eye doctor to US senator, but not brain surgeon to head of the HUD?The only thing that a senator is in charge of is their own staff.

otherone
12-06-2016, 10:54 PM
it's a political move. If Trump, through Carson, has any success addressing urban housing and infrastructure, then the tired DNC meme of being the only party for minorities to support will be undermined.
Imagine the photo-ops: Ben in hardhat during groundbreaking surrounded by cheering african-americans.
The progs will go full retard.

UWDude
12-06-2016, 10:58 PM
The only thing that a senator is in charge of is their own staff.

The Secretary of HUD is not?

TheCount
12-06-2016, 10:59 PM
The Secretary of HUD is not?The secretary of HUD's staff is 8500 people.

UWDude
12-07-2016, 12:45 AM
The secretary of HUD's staff is 8500 people.

So Ben Carson is going to work with them all? He is going to micromanage them? No. Just like a senator, all he is going to do is give direction. The lower tiers of management will do what they always do, just they will have a different boss with a different vision from the previous boss. A senator actually has to pick his own staff, and Carson will probably appoint about the same number of people to positions in the upper tiers of the HUD. There really is no difference. Carson is not going to fire all 8500 and replace them with his own people.

Just like lots of people here think Ron Paul could go from a congressman to President, or that they themselves could be president.

UWDude
12-07-2016, 05:40 AM
Powerful white men appoint an unqualified token negro to avoid the stigma of being called a racist by people like you.

Now for the Nuclear Bomb drop on your mindless crap you spew, you braindead media zombie, go to 0:56 in this video, and take a look at the group photo of one of the MANY companies that work for trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxaKUo5naoY

Count how many "token negroes" are in there. Count how many "token women" and "token mexicans" and "token asians" are in there. And I suppose the black executive that heads the company, "the powerful white man" (Trump) just put there because she is a black woman, two tokens at once, right? It can't be because possibly he saw something in her, or because she rose through the ranks, or because she was qualified. Right, racist boy? Right?

I despise people like you. I really do.

RACIST. BRAINDEAD. MEDIA BUTTSUCKING ZOMBIES.

specsaregood
12-07-2016, 05:51 AM

Seriously? I have no position in the other silly argument being had in this thread; but liberals tend to be the biggest racists around; always collectivizing, categorizing, and basing behavior on race alone! Liberals are almost always racist, to the core.

Weston White
12-07-2016, 06:15 AM

Philmanoman
12-07-2016, 06:24 AM
Triggered lol

Anyone ever look up forum members names on here to see if they post on other sites?

Well it's obvious they do and there are some pretty funny posts from the same people here a few years back...very insightful...especially when those on here are calling others liberals...seems they have liberal postings of their own on other sites.

Haaaaha

UWDude
12-08-2016, 09:09 AM

TheCount
12-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Triggered lol

Anyone ever look up forum members names on here to see if they post on other sites?

Well it's obvious they do and there are some pretty funny posts from the same people here a few years back...very insightful...especially when those on here are calling others liberals...seems they have liberal postings of their own on other sites.

HaaaahaI do that myself, but you have to be moderately skeptical, as one of this site's members seemed to suffer a mental breakdown a while back and began creating accounts in the names of other site members on various sites on the internet, then essentially having discussions with himself on those sites among his multiple accounts. He then posted links here as if they were a thing that he discovered.

enhanced_deficit
12-08-2016, 04:31 PM
He was raised poor and in an urban ghetto, and rose up to become a brain surgeon.

He did make good progress in some areas having faced adversity. I'm am not much familiar with tokenism to offer my 2 cents on that but there is some irony here since the r-word has been used. Ben has also used stereo typing against people of color/expressed racist views... is a person with that kind of stereotyping mindset best suited for a job dealing with housing where many applicants will be people of color?

http://www.barenakedislam.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/CUM8rKCWIAA1JdV.jpg

He might not be a hardcore/consistent racist but probably would face tough questions if he went in for a confirmation hearing.

UWDude
12-08-2016, 09:42 PM
http://www.barenakedislam.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/CUM8rKCWIAA1JdV.jpg

I know longer accept or believe anything the media says. Instead of posting a media article that puts two words in quotes, just post the entire statement he made. I don;t need media filtering what somebody said and explaining it to me anymore. I've seen enough to know it is usually out of context.

enhanced_deficit
12-09-2016, 12:13 AM
I know longer accept or believe anything the media says. Instead of posting a media article that puts two words in quotes, just post the entire statement he made. I don;t need media filtering what somebody said and explaining it to me anymore. I've seen enough to know it is usually out of context.

Found this video, there is bit of nuance but he did compare Syrian refugees to dogs:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2015/nov/20/ben-carson-screen-syrian-refugees-like-theyre-rabid-dogs-video

Can you imagine him using same analogy for white european countries prospective immigrants while pandering for GOP donors money/support?

Related

https://img.ifcdn.com/images/3f229c848d82ba24dc0929179d83e509504cd1caa0034b3e0e 0a41db9d2e5bd6_1.jpg

UWDude
12-09-2016, 01:20 AM
So, I just watched the video.
Reuters = fake news.
The video is 1:03 minutes. watch it and see if it is anything like the Reuters headline.
That is why I no longer believe anything the media says. they quote 2 words, and put them out of context. the term "rabid dog" and "syrian refugees" was literally in different paragraphs.

enhanced_deficit
12-09-2016, 01:19 PM
Agreed, Reuters headline is deceptive and same headline was carried across MSM outlets.
Ben's analogy is also tinged with some collectivist racial stereotypes...even if he is not fully aware of what he is saying. But overall he does have some positive qualities too, his laid back, low energy presence probably brings some balance to the Trump machine in overdrive.

jllundqu
12-09-2016, 01:24 PM
I thought for sure he'd be surgeon general. HUD make ZERO sense. He has no experience in this area and don't see what net-positive this brings other than Trump being loyal to a surrogate.

Son_of_Liberty90
12-09-2016, 01:47 PM

I know the same @$$holes who defended Obamapuppet that had no experience and called his detractors 'racist' for executive are now calling Carson the brain surgeon unqualified and 'uncle tom'. Boggles mind.