PDA

View Full Version : Gays for Ron Paul

gpickett00
12-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Ron Paul has a very open position on gay marriage. Might this help out the campaign in more liberal states? How do you campaign to those groups of people to get the message out?

trey4sports
12-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Ron Paul has a very open position on gay marriage. Might this help out the campaign in more liberal states? How do you campaign to those groups of people to get the message out?

yeah i think this is a good strategy, imagine the platform in Cali....pro-pot, pro-gay marriage, anti-war. i dont think theres a candidate whos ideology fits in with cali voters better

gpickett00
12-09-2007, 04:51 PM
do you think that Ron Paul can win california?

ChickenHawk
12-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Gays that strongly support gay marriage are looking for a government stamp of approval. The actual marriage thing is really secondary. Ron Paul does not support government sanctioned marriage of any kind so his message probably won't work for those people. However, I think most gay people are like anyone else, they want freedom. That is were Ron Paul's message is going to bring them in.

Bradley in DC
12-09-2007, 04:58 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=47172

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=529371#post529371

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-09-2007, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't start by saying "are you a gay? you should look into Ron Paul's stance on gays. Maybe start a gays for ROn Paul if you like him. BTW he's pretty hot for a guy in his 70s and he's a Longhorn."

dircha
12-09-2007, 05:14 PM
In order to answer that we really need to know whether Congressman Paul recognizes a broad Constitutional right to privacy.

More specifically, we need to know his position on whether state anti-homosexual sodomy laws are Constitutional.

A strict constructionist typically believes that they are Constitutional, and would see precedent struck down, just as with Roe v Wade, because a strict constructionist does not recognize a broad Constitutional right to privacy.

It is my strong suspicion that if pressed he would agree with Scalia and Thomas that state anti-homosexual sodomy laws are Constitutional.

Put simply, just as striking Roe v Wade would allow states to reinstate laws broadly regulating and even prohibiting abortion, this would allow states to reinstate laws broadly regulating and even prohibiting homosexual sodomy between two consenting adults.

dircha
12-09-2007, 05:17 PM
And Congressman Paul states clearly in the Google talk interview as well as in the This American View interview that he supports Don't Ask Don't Tell, and he acknowledges in the latter that he has taken heat from some civil libertarians for his position.

It's possible that Congressman Paul simply doesn't understand what Don't Ask Don't Tell is, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

gpickett00
12-09-2007, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't start by saying "are you a gay? you should look into Ron Paul's stance on gays. Maybe start a gays for ROn Paul if you like him. BTW he's pretty hot for a guy in his 70s and he's a Longhorn."

haha, Im not gay but I was watching his interview with John Stossel and he mentioned the gay rights.

max
12-09-2007, 05:21 PM
amazing. You people will run from 9/11 truthers yet you'll embrace homosexuals.

Bradley in DC
12-09-2007, 05:23 PM

Max, we "run" from people trying to put their platform up in the place of Dr. Paul's (Truther or whomever). This is about HIS agenda, not ours.

gpickett00
12-09-2007, 05:26 PM

Ron Paul embraces 9/11 truthers as well as gays as well as any American willing to vote for him. Ron Paul is not gay but he supports their freedom of expression. Ron Paul is not a 9/11 truther but he supports their freedom as well. Its not about specific issues, its about the message.

To quote Dr. Paul, "I may have my flaws but the message does not"

user
12-09-2007, 05:27 PM
And Congressman Paul states clearly in the Google talk interview as well as in the This American View interview that he supports Don't Ask Don't Tell, and he acknowledges in the latter that he has taken heat from some civil libertarians for his position.

It's possible that Congressman Paul simply doesn't understand what Don't Ask Don't Tell is, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Like Bush's foreign policy, Ron Paul supports DADT how it sounds, not how it is. I think his position is to discharge any members of the military engaging in disruptive sexual behavior (homosexual or heterosexual), not to discharge someone just for being gay.

user
12-09-2007, 05:28 PM
I think Ron Paul would win California in the general election, but the GOP primary will be harder.

Ozwest
12-09-2007, 05:28 PM
It is important to clarify that Dr. Paul treats gay and heterosexual unions as one in the same. Religious or Civil, with the Feds out of the picture.

Am I correct?

OptionsTrader
12-09-2007, 05:29 PM
It is important to clarify that Dr. Paul treats gay and heterosexual unions as one in the same. Religious or Civil, with the Feds out of the picture.

Am I correct?

Government out of the picture, as it used to be until recently.

Ozwest
12-09-2007, 05:34 PM
So his policy is non-biased, which is a strong message to the gay community.

Ron Paul is going to need the gay vote, particularly as the primaries move west.

dircha
12-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Ron Paul embraces 9/11 truthers as well as gays as well as any American willing to vote for him. Ron Paul is not gay but he supports their freedom of expression. Ron Paul is not a 9/11 truther but he supports their freedom as well. Its not about specific issues, its about the message.

To quote Dr. Paul, "I may have my flaws but the message does not"

But it isn't at all clear that Congressman Paul "supports their freedom of expression." Does support mean endorse? Does support mean promote? Congressman Paul doesn't promote or endorse the commission of homosexual acts.

Instead of talking about general principles, let's talk about what we actually know.

We know for sure that Congressman Paul believes the federal government should not pass any law either supporting or outlawing same sex marriage, and should strip federal courts of jurisdiction or jurisdiction to rule on issues of same sex marriage. But implicit in this position is that states are free to prohibit same sex marriage. This is not consistent with the position of most same sex marriage activists.

And as I stated before, we know from the Google talk interview that Congressman Paul supports Don't Ask Don't Tell, and we know from the This American View interview that he supports Don't Ask Don't Tell with the explicit acknowledgment that he does so in spite of receiving criticism from some civil libertarians for his position.

And as I stated before, the single most important issue is determining whether Congressman Paul recognizes a broad Constitutional right to privacy. Based on his position on Roe v Wade (which is based on this recognition), as I stated before I think we have strong reason to believe that Congressman Paul does not recognize a broad Constitutional right to privacy, and therefore would not consider state anti-homosexual sodomy laws unconstitutional.

People need to understand that the two justices of our Supreme Court who epitomize the strict constructionist position, believe that state anti-homosexual sodomy laws are Constitutional.

dircha
12-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Like Bush's foreign policy, Ron Paul supports DADT how it sounds, not how it is. I think his position is to discharge any members of the military engaging in disruptive sexual behavior (homosexual or heterosexual), not to discharge someone just for being gay.

Hmm. I could see that, perhaps. He might just doesn't understand how it is implemented. It would certainly be an easier position to represent. However, on the This American View interview, Paul acknowledges that his position - whatever that is - on Don't Ask Don't Tell, has drawn criticism from civil libertarians, and he doesn't seem troubled by that.

I'm not sure. If he held the position some represent him to have, then he would simply say that he does not support Don't Ask Don't Tell.

dircha
12-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Government out of the picture, as it used to be until recently.

*Federal government out of the picture.

max
12-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Max, we "run" from people trying to put their platform up in the place of Dr. Paul's (Truther or whomever). This is about HIS agenda, not ours.

if the truth about 9/11 were to become widely known, RP would win in a landslide.

www.911truthvirus.com

For those who scoff at the idea of the media being able to cover up such a horrific crime...i would hope that by now you are coming to realize that the media's mind boggling blackout of RP demonstrates how they can blackout any story they want to.

LibertyEagle
12-09-2007, 05:53 PM
if the truth about 9/11 were to become widely known, RP would win in a landslide.

The problem is, Max, that Dr. Paul does not agree with the Truther belief that our government carried out 9-11.

Could we please stick to Dr. Paul's platform?

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-09-2007, 08:17 PM

Embrace as in lovingly caress the strong supple quadriceps of an adonis, or embrace as in accepting them as equals?