PDA

View Full Version : Tom Price, Obamacare Critic, Is Said to Be Trump Selection for Health Secretary

Origanalist
11-28-2016, 08:42 PM
https://static01.********/images/2016/11/29/us/29price/29price-master768.jpg
Representative Tom Price at Trump Tower last week. As secretary of health and human services, Mr. Price would be responsible for a department with an annual budget of more than $1 trillion.

WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald J. Trump has selected Representative Tom Price, a six-term Republican congressman from Georgia who has led opposition to the Affordable Care Act, to be secretary of health and human services, according to a transition team official.

Mr. Price, an orthopedic surgeon, has been a severe critic of the health law, saying it interferes with the ability of patients and doctors to make medical decisions.

And he says that events have borne out his warnings.

“Premiums have gone up, not down,” Mr. Price said recently. “Many Americans lost the health coverage they were told time and time again by the president that they could keep. Choices are fewer.”

An announcement of Mr. Price’s appointment is expected as soon as Tuesday, according to the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the announcement had not been released.

Some Republicans have attacked the Affordable Care Act without proposing an alternative. Mr. Price, by contrast, has introduced bills offering a detailed, comprehensive replacement plan in every Congress since 2009, when Democrats started work on the legislation.

From his days as a Georgia state senator, Mr. Price, now 62, has been a voice for doctors, often aligned with the positions of the American Medical Association and the Medical Association of Georgia.

As secretary, Mr. Price would be responsible for a department with an annual budget of more than $1 trillion, health programs that insure more than 100 million Americans and agencies that regulate food and drugs and sponsor much of the nation’s biomedical research.

hxxp://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/28/us/politics/tom-price-secretary-health-and-human-services.html

goldenequity
11-28-2016, 10:34 PM
Well... at 62 yrs old...
he's an American Medical Assoc. point man...
squaring off with the Insurance lobbyists..
to be in charge of a $1T budget... and the 'welfare' of 100 million Americans.
Not a job I'd want. **shudder**

Working Poor
11-28-2016, 11:24 PM
AMA still spells Rockefeller/Rothschild big pharma cabal to me.

scm
11-29-2016, 08:03 AM
"In a choice that confirms Trump's intentions to dismantle Obamacare, Reuters reports (http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-idUSKBN13N1Y3) that President-elect Donald Trump will shortly announce he has chosen vociferous Obamacare critic Tom Price (R. Ga), an orthopedic surgeon from Georgia, as his Health and Human Services secretary to help him overhaul the U.S. healthcare system. "
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-29/trump-picks-vocal-obamacare-critic-tom-price-hhs-secretary

More info
http://www.ontheissues.org/GA/Tom_Price.htm

CaptUSA
11-29-2016, 08:38 AM
Seems like a pretty good pick to me. Physician. Prefers free market in health care. I don't know a whole lot about him, but the first glance seems solid.

AuH20
11-29-2016, 10:14 AM

scm
11-29-2016, 12:28 PM
Seems like a pretty good pick to me. Physician. Prefers free market in health care. I don't know a whole lot about him, but the first glance seems solid.
I'de say he's anti legalization and by the looks of it anti medicinal use too, if that matters to anyone.

[*=left]Voted NO on more funding for Mexico to fight drugs. (Jun 2008)
[*=left]Rated -10 by NORML (http://www.ontheissues.org/Note-NORML.asp), indicating a "hard-on-drugs" stance. (Dec 2006)
[*=left]Rated 0% by NORML (http://www.ontheissues.org/Note-NORML.asp), indicating an anti-legalization stance. (Jan 2014)

Don't look very "liberty" friendly either

[*=left]Voted YES on extending the PATRIOT Act's roving wiretaps. (Feb 2011)
[*=left]Voted NO on Veto override: Congressional oversight of CIA interrogations. (Mar 2008)
[*=left]Voted YES on removing need for FISA warrant for wiretapping abroad. (Aug 2007)
[*=left]Voted NO on restricting no-bid defense contracts. (Mar 2007)
[*=left]Voted YES on allowing electronic surveillance without a warrant. (Sep 2006)
[*=left]Voted YES on continuing intelligence gathering without civil oversight. (Apr 2006)
[*=left]Voted YES on federalizing rules for driver licenses to hinder terrorists. (Feb 2005)

CaptUSA
11-29-2016, 12:40 PM
Don't look very "liberty" friendly either

Yeah, but like I did with Sessions, you have to judge the pick on which job he is asked to handle. Sessions would have been great for Commerce Secretary, but absolutely horrible for AG.

Same goes with Price. If he was tapped for NSA, he'd be a zero, but for HHS? Seems pretty good.

undergroundrr
11-29-2016, 12:45 PM
I don't agree with this "right for the job" thinking. A post like this gives this appointee and expanded sphere of influence. It's not just individual jobs, it's a whole DC culture that's being established (or perpetuated). So far for trump it's pro-surveillance, anti-drug, pro-MIC.

CaptUSA
11-29-2016, 12:57 PM
I don't agree with this "right for the job" thinking. A post like this gives this appointee and expanded sphere of influence. It's not just individual jobs, it's a whole DC culture that's being established (or perpetuated). So far for trump it's pro-surveillance, anti-drug, pro-MIC.

I hear ya, but it's still early. If he picks Gabbard for Sos and Allison for Treasury, as well as some others, then we can judge the cabinet and other appointments on the whole. But right now, Price looks pretty good for the sphere of influence he will have.

presence
11-29-2016, 01:24 PM
Meanwhile my kid costs anyone with a mandate approved "health insurance plan" / (and or the taxpayer depending upon your viewpoint) $1/minute every minute of the day for life and rising exponentially toward $10/minute in another 10 years or so. His state sanctioned "benefix" available from one distributor with small FDA imposed oligarchy of legal competing products; basic necessities of his life, his very existence: patented, owned.

When there is no such legalized and indoctrinated construct as intellectual "property" in medicine there will be freedom in health care again.

When licenses, permits, patents, and prescriptions are gone we will be free.

Until then people are slaves; the right of individuals to merely live owned and profited upon by corporations deemed valid by State fatwa.

enhanced_deficit
11-30-2016, 12:14 AM
Very bad news for DGP's legacy/SWCcare.

Date of Publication: 11.29.16

Trump’s Health Czar Tom Price is a One-Man Death Panel for Obamacare

Tom Price arriving at the Trump Tower, on November 16, 2016 in New York City.Drew Angerer/Getty Images

https://www.wired.com/2016/11/trump-picks-obamacare-critic-tom-price-next-health-czar/

jct74
12-09-2016, 07:43 PM
Trump Picks Marijuana Opponent For Health Secretary

BY TOM ANGELL
NOVEMBER 29TH, 2016

President-elect Donald Trump has selected an opponent of marijuana law reform to be the nation’s next top health official.

In picking Congressman Tom Price (R-GA) for secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Trump is putting a legislator who has repeatedly voted against medical cannabis amendments in command of the federal government’s health and medicine regulatory bodies.

Advocates are already concerned about the selection of U.S. Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL), a leading anti-legalization voice in Congress, as attorney general. Together, as the heads of HHS and the Justice Department, Price and Sessions would be the two key officials to decide on petitions to reschedule marijuana under the Trump administration.

As a member of the U.S. House, Price voted six times against amendments to prevent the Justice Department from interfering with state medical marijuana laws. He also voted three times against amendments to allow military veterans to get medical cannabis recommendations through Department of Veterans Affairs doctors. And he also voted against a broader amendment to protect all state marijuana laws — including ones allowing recreational use — from federal interference.

Price did support a handful of much more modest marijuana law reforms, for example voting in favor of an amendment to allow states to implement laws authorizing patients to use low-THC/high- cannabidiol (CBD) preparations. And, he has voted in favor of amendments aimed at letting states implement industrial hemp programs.

Price’s wife, Betty, is a state representative in Georgia and was one of only eight members of the state House to vote against a medical cannabis bill earlier this year.

read more:
http://www.marijuana.com/blog/news/2016/11/trump-picks-marijuana-opponent-for-health-secretary/